55 gallon rescape and recovery
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 07-16-2012, 11:29 PM   #1
carriej
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

55 gallon rescape and recovery

Hi Folks,

Unfortunately, my poor 55 gallon was neglected for almost 2 months. I was in the hospital for a few weeks (diagnosed with wegener's disease) and then when I did get home I had no energy to do anything other than make sure the fish didn't die. Can't say so much for the plants.

Since I've been feeling better I decided to do a big plant order - and most cooked in the mail .... But, I do have a few new ones.

So here is my tank BEFORE sickness.. Looking nice and lush and full.

Then I had to cut it all back to basically clippings... It was nasty nasty. I weighed it. 13lbs of plants went into the garbage that day. I wanted to barf.

And here is as of yesterday.. Starting to fill in a little. However I am conflicted.. I need some advice. I want to get rid of the wood, 55s are so narrow and I find it a BBA magnet. Right now it's infested with BBA and it's just annoying me, but I don't know what to do. I actually clipped/reorganized again last night and cut my stargrass all back because it was dark in the middle and I hate that...

Not real sure where it's going to go from here... I am having such a hard time getting cool plants! I was thinking about putting some rocks in but I can't find any I like and again with 55's being so narrow front to back... Bleh!
carriej is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2012, 12:29 AM   #2
psalm18.2
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

I know what you mean. I now have a 40gb and it's so much wider.

Your tank still looks great BTW.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:54 AM   #3
accordztech
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriej View Post
Hi Folks,

Unfortunately, my poor 55 gallon was neglected for almost 2 months. I was in the hospital for a few weeks (diagnosed with wegener's disease) and then when I did get home I had no energy to do anything other than make sure the fish didn't die. Can't say so much for the plants.

Since I've been feeling better I decided to do a big plant order - and most cooked in the mail .... But, I do have a few new ones.

So here is my tank BEFORE sickness.. Looking nice and lush and full.

Then I had to cut it all back to basically clippings... It was nasty nasty. I weighed it. 13lbs of plants went into the garbage that day. I wanted to barf.

And here is as of yesterday.. Starting to fill in a little. However I am conflicted.. I need some advice. I want to get rid of the wood, 55s are so narrow and I find it a BBA magnet. Right now it's infested with BBA and it's just annoying me, but I don't know what to do. I actually clipped/reorganized again last night and cut my stargrass all back because it was dark in the middle and I hate that...

Not real sure where it's going to go from here... I am having such a hard time getting cool plants! I was thinking about putting some rocks in but I can't find any I like and again with 55's being so narrow front to back... Bleh!
Even though you have a narrow 55g, there is still things you can do to make it look good. Wood helps alot to create a depth. Check out my 55g tank build. Its not the greatest, but I was able to accomplish a look to make the 55g look very usable to the eye.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:54 PM   #4
carriej
Algae Grower

I guess it's finding the right pieces of wood that is difficult. I always like it in other tanks.. Just can't seem to find a piece I like. The wood in your tank is quite nice, nice and spindley (is that a word?) but they have nothing like that around here, and I am not sure I am brave enough to order mystery pieces online.. lol
Old 07-18-2012, 08:31 AM   #5
accordztech
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Your going to have to look online, plantbrain was the one I got the wood from. The prices are up there, but if you think about it....LFS has them for 3x as much and no where near as nice.

LFS has ugly ass ones, plantbrains has LOTS of character which is something I was looking for.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:09 PM   #6
TheNamelessPoet
Planted Member

I jsut google searched driftwood ald looked under shop for driftwood. Granted it took literalty over 700 pieces to find the one I wanted but man I am so excited to use it for my tank it was worth the search :-P

and I agree I really like your tank as it lol but it doesnt matter what everyone else thinks, it matters whay YOU want it to look like.

TheNamelessPoet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2012, 08:10 PM   #7
carriej
Algae Grower

Still toying with this tank.. Removed ALL wood. I kept getting so frustrated, 55 gals are so stinkin narrow.. Wood was crampin my style! LOL..

Old 09-26-2012, 05:55 PM   #8
carriej
Algae Grower

One week update from redo.. Stuff has just rooted and is starting to take off. Hopefully will fill out in the weeks to come.

Old 09-26-2012, 06:33 PM   #9
Curt_914
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

Looks good and I agree that 55 are to bloody narrow!! I hate mine but do with what I have. am also in the process of redoing my 55 will have pics up in a couple weeks.

Curt
Curt_914 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2012, 12:42 AM   #10
carriej
Algae Grower

Yeah - I have eliminated all wood and all rocks in hope to gain more "depth" but 12 inches really isn't enough... I'd almost rather lose a foot and have an 18" tank,
Old 09-27-2012, 04:10 AM   #11
xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

I love your tank, and because of it I plan to go with a black substrate for my new JBJ 12 gal. nano-cube!!!!

Thanks for the insperation......

Old 10-09-2012, 05:28 PM   #12
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

Great looking tank.

MIAPG - Come join us - Plantedtank - MI - Greatlakesaquaria
GMYukonon24s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2013, 05:38 PM   #13
carriej
Algae Grower

Thanks.. Looking for suggestions to some carpeting plants.. I've got some dwarf hairgrass covering about 1/3 now; but I don't think I like it.. it's a bit tall

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.