Soil tank just planted, ferts? bacteria ?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 04-03-2013, 11:20 PM   #1
paul195
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Soil tank just planted, ferts? bacteria ?

Hi

Now that I have my tank planted up and the filter running, should I be adding any ferts? I have heard conflicting advice, some saying that the soil has plenty of nutrients in it for the first 6-12 months, but others saying to add ferts just to make sure the plants get off to a good start. Can it hurt ?

Also should I add any sort of bacteria supplement to help the filter establish? I don't plan on getting the first fish for a week or two.

Cheers

Paul
paul195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2013, 11:40 PM   #2
TECKSPEED
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Default Soil tank just planted, ferts? bacteria ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul195 View Post
Hi

Now that I have my tank planted up and the filter running, should I be adding any ferts? I have heard conflicting advice, some saying that the soil has plenty of nutrients in it for the first 6-12 months, but others saying to add ferts just to make sure the plants get off to a good start. Can it hurt ?

Also should I add any sort of bacteria supplement to help the filter establish? I don't plan on getting the first fish for a week or two.

Cheers

Paul
I've added ferts like a week or two after I set up, just to give the tank some time to balance out, if you add ferts right off the bat your parameters might get out of line, I'm sure someone with more knowledge will know more but in my experience that is what has happened

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-04-2013, 12:17 AM   #3
dtejeda.arias
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

As long as you plant heavy and don't mind a little green water to ahead. If you trying to keep fish I'd recommend very little till the tank has settled. If no fish or don't care much for fish. Start small and increase weekly till you achieve what your aiming more

Thanks for your time
Danny Tejeda
dtejeda.arias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:31 PM   #4
paul195
Algae Grower

Thanks for your reply's,

I will let the tank settle for a few weeks, and see how the plants are doing.

If I start to dose ferts to give the plants a boost, does that mean that I should dose from then on? Is it a problem to start dosing and then stop?

Many thanks

Paul
Old 04-04-2013, 07:24 PM   #5
wkndracer
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)

you have a good plan in my opinion

Watch parameters for a few weeks and load up on plants setting the tank.
2-75g planted, 5-55g planted, 5-20g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 8-10g, Refugium, doghouse/newbie
2012 update adding table top pleco pans & a 90g (Nutz)
wkndracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:14 PM   #6
Zorfox
Wannabe Guru

I think it would depend on how heavily you planted, the type of soil (MGOPM or mineralized soil), whether you're using pressurized CO2 and your lighting. Regardless, I would personally monitor basic parameters as well as phosphates before I indiscriminately dosed fertilizer. I recently used MGOPM and the phosphates were literally off the charts (over 10) from day one. I finally removed it and the phosphates are normal now. Probably just an isolated bad batch but I would have never known if I didn't check the basics while it was cycling. After the tank has stabilized water tests are less important IMO.
Zorfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:37 PM   #7
paul195
Algae Grower

Yes I have planted the tank fairly heavily, and I am using John Innes 3 soil compost (which I'm guessing is similar to MGOPM). I have low lighting (58W with reflector = 1.35WPG) and will not be adding any C02.

I bought an API master test kit + GH + KH tests, but I dont have a test for phosphates. Is that a test which I should have as a planted tank owner?

I would be very grateful if you could guide me on the 'must test' parameters so I can get the right test kits?

thanks

Paul
Old 04-04-2013, 11:11 PM   #8
Zorfox
Wannabe Guru

I'm not familiar with that brand of soil. Basically most non-mineralized composted soil will have a large amount of organics initially. Mineralizing reduces the initial release of nutrients. After several weeks the nutrient levels generally stabilize. Even with no CO2 or high lighting I think the nutrient level would be high. Unfortunately, it won't be as balanced for the first few weeks which may lead to algae outbreaks. Planting heavily will help a lot.

As far as water testing I only use the API master kit, GH/KH and phosphate. I've never tried the iron tests but hear they are far from reliable. I test nitrates and phosphates since they are two of three three macro nutrients. Those two can cause problems in excess. As far as I know too much potassium is of less concern and again not reliable for home testing. Keeping nitrates between 10-30ppm and phosphates around 2ppm is pretty good. So if you're seeing over that I would not use ferts until they drop. I would venture to guess you wont need any macro fertilizers in the coming weeks. It would be a good time to get your hands on the dry ferts for future use however. That's just been my experiences. I'm just a beginner like you. So take what I say with a grain of salt and follow up with lot of reading. In the last 10 months I have probably read many books worth of material on the subject and still feel far from where I should be lol
Zorfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:32 AM   #9
GraphicGr8s
Banned

PTrader: (9/100%)

One of my soil tanks has gone for over a year with no fertz. Plants are still growing like mad. No fish.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
GraphicGr8s is offline   Reply With Quote