Simple question about how the arrows on check valves should be pointing
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 02-09-2013, 05:50 AM   #1
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)

Simple question about how the arrows on check valves should be pointing

Alright, so, I know that the arrows indicate the direction of air flow that you want to make. Meaning that, you want them pointing away from the regulator.

However, with an inline bubble counter, should the check valve above the bubble counter also point up or should it point down (not sure if it pointing down would make it so that the contents of the bubble counter do not escape the bubble counter nor get a back flow of water into them accidentally.

I want to clean up my stuff since I do now have these check valves and I want to make sure I do it right. As it is now, I have both of my plastic check valves pointing in the same direction, but this has caused the bubble counter on one of my tanks to pretty much empty itself, and has caused the bubble counter on my other tank to have both mineral oil and water in it.

No water is going towards the regulator though, and the gas is flowing correctly, but I just wanted to check that there wasn't anything I could be doing better.
Mom's Spec V:http://tinyurl.com/qjt3rw2
HybridHerp is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2013, 08:07 AM   #2
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridHerp View Post
However, with an inline bubble counter, should the check valve above the bubble counter also point up or should it point down (not sure if it pointing down would make it so that the contents of the bubble counter do not escape the bubble counter nor get a back flow of water into them accidentally.
The check valve should point in the direction of the gas flow. Using your reference points, you want the check valve arrow to be pointing "up."

Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridHerp View Post
As it is now, I have both of my plastic check valves pointing in the same direction, but this has caused the bubble counter on one of my tanks to pretty much empty itself, and has caused the bubble counter on my other tank to have both mineral oil and water in it.
Where did the water in the bubble counter go in your first aquarium? For your other bubble counter, the issue could be poor (cheap) check valves. In addition, if you are using plastic check valves, CO2 eventually makes the plastic brittle, and will render them ineffective.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2013, 02:20 PM   #3
keithy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

I think you're doing the right thing. I cannot speak for inline bubble counter, but my JBJ style bubble counter empties itself every other week or so. I don't think there is anything wrong, just need to refill it with distilled water every time. I don't use mineral oil for the fear that it would make a mess in my tank by accident.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:40 PM   #4
Yankee
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

Take your check valve and blow in it. You want the end that allows air to flow to go into your tank (otherwise you'll just block all gas from getting to your tank. The idea of a check valve is to only let things flow one way.
Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.