stocking
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 06-12-2014, 02:23 PM   #1
dbw27
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

stocking

Hi:

Since Aqadvisor is down, I am on here. Would you please assist?

I have a 2.5 gallon planted I am starting with a betta, can I put a snail in there with him, and what kind? I don't want a lot of crazy reproduction.

I have a 15.8 gallon planted (a lot ofplants now) that is more long than tall (24 inches long). Although I don't want to add more fish, I am concerned that any of my schooing fish might be sad and need to add at least one more of each?

Here is what I have:

4 rummy nose fish
4 black skirt tetras
2 African dwarf frogs
2 julii cory
2 assassin snails

The last time I did aqadviser it said 78 percent.

Thanks!
Dbw
dbw27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2014, 01:20 AM   #2
CAPSLOK
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Best snail for no reproduction is nerites.

I think you could probably do another pair of julii cories and see where that gets you. 15g spread over 24" doesn't leave a lot of space for two schools in the water column.
CAPSLOK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2014, 05:45 AM   #3
dbw27
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

You are absolutely correct. I keep thinking I need a bigger tank. I have also thought of giving the rummy nose fish back to the lfs and getting more black skirt tetras or vice versa. Would the juliis be happy with more fish friends?

They are often out and about so.....

I could get rid of the black skirt tetras and get like 4 more rummy nose fish. I don't know.

Don't kill me but the original rummy nose were "suicide fish." Well, they lived. Therefore, I then had two rummy nose and had no idea what to do with them. Knowing they were supposed to be in a school, I went and got two more. I am totally new at this and recognize my errors.

I only got the juliis because the dwarf frogs were such messy eaters and the juliis clean up their mess. I like them though. They are funny.

dbw

Last edited by dbw27; 06-13-2014 at 05:47 AM.. Reason: added info
dbw27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2014, 07:55 AM   #4
Warbler
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Yeah, cories should be in a bigger group. They are sociable little guys, and I think you could at least get two more, though I think I'm being conservative. Should ideally be one school for a relatively small tank like yours. I personally like rummynoses, but I've never kept them. Nerites would be best for the betta tank, can't reproduce in freshwater. The females will still leave eggs all over the place though, they just won't hatch.
You could also try a rabbit snail. The problem is that you can't easily sex them and a female can retain sperm for a long time. So one day you'll look into your tank and there will be on big rabbit snail and one super tiny adorable one. They are very cute though, but they do need their veggies and are likely to eat plants.
Warbler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.