need help
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 02-06-2013, 05:12 PM   #1
Duchess
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

need help

Just moved my fish over to a 120g tank. Now my pictis catfish is breathing heavily and this catfish has a large swollen belly... why?
Also I swear my fish are not liking the move..the bala's just swim in circles well..most of the time.. so are they just adjusting to the move?

Also I donr know what kind of catfish this is and this is the one with the swollen belly he's at least 7/8 years old
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130206_100031.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	81842  

Duchess is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2013, 05:25 PM   #2
Rush3737
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

Did you cycle the tank before moving the fish?
Rush3737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:06 PM   #3
Duchess
Algae Grower

No. I didn't. I actually had someone set it up while I was working (praubly my first mistake alrhough I am sure he followed all my instructions...I did think it would be as though we were moving the old tank to another spot as we did when we put down new flooring or doing a big clean because I reused most of their old h2o. I did a quick test strip today and ph was a little low and nitrates ? Were up. Will do a 1/4 h20 change when I get home from work tonight.. but we have never had a problem like this before and as I'm experienced I'm no professional at keeping fish and just wantbto know how to keep them happy and healthy and whT type of catfish this actually is.

Thanks for the advice
Old 02-06-2013, 06:10 PM   #4
Rush3737
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

Most of the bacteria that the nitrogen cycle relies on stay in the filter, and to a lesser extent on things like gravel and decor. If you have the old filter you want to immediately move it onto the new tank and run it along with the new filter. In addition you will want to maybe move over some decor items temporarily.

Unfortunately very little bacteria is free floating in the water itself. If all else fails I'd say be looking at doing big water changes with some regularity for awhile to keep the bad levels down until the new tank cycles.
Rush3737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:23 PM   #5
Duchess
Algae Grower

Thanks. I thought it was water based . I cleaned the old filted but can certainly add it in conjunction. How long will it take to cycle. And any idea on my catfish.are these symptoms of bad water
Old 02-06-2013, 06:28 PM   #6
elegysanft
Algae Grower

Looks like a pangasius catfish to me.

These get very large and need to school if it is, so heads up

Also, it looks like it may have eaten a tank mate, do you have any missing fish?
elegysanft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:39 PM   #7
Duchess
Algae Grower

I thought it waz that type as well but its never grown it was alone in a tank when my ex bought it. It litterally has not grown all my other fish grew to 12-14 inches in the saMe length of time...no one is missing he's the smallest in the tank..he was bought from petsmart and they said they didn't know what he was at the time..at least 8 years ago so they didn't tsll us about living in a school or alone.. he has short wiskers/feelers and he's at most 4 inches. And I moved them from an 80g. Maybe he's just stunted
Old 02-06-2013, 09:04 PM   #8
msawdey
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

cleaning the filter was the biggest mistake here. I dont want to be the bearer of bad news but dont be surprised if you lose the fish. There is as much bacteria in the gravel as what you find in your filter and you changed both of them. Stay on top of water changes. As in daily to help remove as much of the ammonia as possible or you are going to burn their gills
Old 02-06-2013, 09:16 PM   #9
elegysanft
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess View Post
I thought it waz that type as well but its never grown it was alone in a tank when my ex bought it. It litterally has not grown all my other fish grew to 12-14 inches in the saMe length of time...no one is missing he's the smallest in the tank..he was bought from petsmart and they said they didn't know what he was at the time..at least 8 years ago so they didn't tsll us about living in a school or alone.. he has short wiskers/feelers and he's at most 4 inches. And I moved them from an 80g. Maybe he's just stunted
If he hasnt grown in that much time, its safe to assume hes stunted. Goodness knows how long petsmart had had him before.

In the future, its always best to disregard what pet store people say, especially in chains like petco/petsmart. Most of them are trying to make a sale. Always research before buying a fish, we're here to help!

As for his belly, he might have eaten some decor, catfish tend to eat first and ask questions later. See if anything is missing. It not, go with bloat and isolate him in another tank if possible and fast him for a few days. If symptoms persist, it would be good to look into other illnesses.

Also, youve probably lost your bacteria from your previous cycle, youve got lots of water changes ahead of you!
You can look into the bacteria in a bottle which will help, Prime as a water conditioner will help as well, it binds ammonia for a few days which will make it easier on you. Live plants will be a boon as well.

Keep testing your water, and read up on how to cycle your tanks. Its a great thing to know and will help prevent this in the future.

Lastly, I saw you used strips as a way to test.
In my experience, the strips are rubbish and it would be wish to invest in a API master test kit. Its liquid and far more accurate.

Hope that helps, good luck!
elegysanft is offline   Reply With Quote