Low Ph and Water Change Help
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 02-01-2013, 06:18 PM   #1
arbai89
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Low Ph and Water Change Help

I am re-creating an amazon like water aka low ph.

Currently my water is at about 6.4ish according to API freshwater master kit.

My water out of the tap is around 7.4 ish.
My tank is a 55 gallon tank. I do weekly water change except last week when i first added and let the peat moss sit for almost 2 weeks.

I usually do about a 33% water change.
The question and concern i have is that, when i add the new water, the ph may swing up and then drop back down... that can disrupt the fish's health

what's the best way to prevent a ph swing. I do not have extra peat moss to soak into the new water before i add it to the tank so that option is out of the question.

Should i be concern? what to do?

i tried searching but wasn't able to find an answer
arbai89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2013, 06:47 PM   #2
defender.TX
Algae Grower

Honestly, whether or not temporary pH changes affect the livestock of the tank is almost entirely determined by how sensitive of livestock you have in the tank. Is it necessary to do a 33% water change every week? The pH will rise immediately after a water change if you are using tap, but if you backed off to maybe a 25% water change weekly it probably would be small enough to not harm your livestock.

Is there a reason you do a third of the tank every week? Do you monitor Nitrate levels with the API kit?
defender.TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:16 PM   #3
arbai89
Algae Grower

i did my math wrong. i do about a 23% water change

in a 55 gallon within a week, i lose about 5 gallon of water through evaporation and all sort.
then i siphon10 gallon worth and add 15 gallon of fresh tap water with conditioner...

so 40 gallon of the 55 is pre-existing water. 15 gallon is brand new water.

i don't monitor nitrate level every week but will monitor when i feel something is wrong with the water / affecting my livestock.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:30 PM   #4
danielt
Planted Tank Obsessed

You should monitor regularly if you have a reason to suspect the nitrates rise quickly and can affect your fish.

Otherwise, no need to concern yourself with measuring nitrates if you do your water changes as scheduled.

In my opinion, pH has nothing to do with fish health. TDS as it modifies the osmotic pressure is more important to live organisms than pH.

You can split your water changes and do them in two days in smaller volume, that way, the swings will be smaller. This method is frequently used for sensible shrimp.

If you want to keep the water parameters as stable as possible, smaller, more frequent water changes are the way to go
danielt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:18 PM   #5
arbai89
Algae Grower

not concern about nitrates frankly speaking but i guess i will split the water change over the course of 2 days