New too planted tanks. Looking for help
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 01-29-2013, 08:33 PM   #1
zackariah
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

New too planted tanks. Looking for help

After reading a lot on this site I have learned that I have already made a few bad coices, I'm hoping with help I can avoid some more. I have kept many types of african chiclids and community fish for years and decided to step up to planted tanks. I am trying to do a high tech 55g long south American tank. I have 40 pounds of eco complete and 30 pounds of flourite. I was told by lfs this is all I needed, and won't need to add any fertilizers. I now know I will need them just not sure what kind. I'm also planing on buying an eheim pro 3e 2078 ( for what seems to be great features for a planted tank). An aqueon modular 48" led. A 200w inline heater. A co2 system not sure what kind. Also want to know if uv equipment is worth it. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
zackariah is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2013, 08:41 PM   #2
danielt
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

UV is recommended as it improves redox potential. Not a must have but good to run 4-6 hours a day. It will prevent green water and kill whatever microbe lurks in the water waiting for fish to be stressed so it can do some damage.

Depending on how much light you're putting in, you WILL have to use fertilizer also. The LFS is a poor source of information as they usually tell you that you need to buy something. Not why and if you need it.

A CO2 system does not have much importance which. You need a CO2 canister, tubing, pressure reducer, solenoid valve, bubble counter and reactor/diffuser.

I don't see a bad choice in there. Can you elaborate on that part?
danielt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:20 PM   #3
zackariah
Planted Member

I thought that buying eco complete and flourite I would not have to dose my tank with anything. But it seems u do but not sure what to use? Also I bought 8 German blue rams and did not know I had gotten too many for this size tank. Again bad advice from the Lfs!
Old 01-29-2013, 09:43 PM   #4
2Shi
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Read this article to learn how to dose using the EI method. There are more ways than just 1 to fertilize your tank but the EI method is pretty easy to do and relatively inexpensive.
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...ing-guide.html
2Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:49 AM   #5
Ashnic05
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

LFS are good sources of information ONLY if you can find an experienced sales associate that won't jerk you around. Talking to the owner or manager usually ends up in you buying stuff you can do without or DIY. At least at this point you realize that there are other (usually cheaper, more effective) ways to do a live planted aquarium than just what your LFS suggests. Lots of good info on here for sure. Good luck!
All in mail never clinking.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien

FINNEX CLUB MEMBER!
Ashnic05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:18 PM   #6
zackariah
Planted Member

Thanks for the help