No bubbles coming out when solenoid is turned on in the morning. Need your help.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 01-30-2013, 06:48 PM   #1
AlanLe
Algae Farmer

PTrader: (1/100%)

No bubbles coming out when solenoid is turned on in the morning. Need your help.

Quick question about my regulator. I'm running at 35 psi, 4 bps. However there is no bubble in the bubble counter when the solenoid powers on in the morning. I have to adjust/increase the dial on the bubble counter for it to run. Could it be due to a bad needle?

Thanks,
Alan
AlanLe is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2013, 07:39 PM   #2
Driftmunky

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default No bubbles coming out when solenoid is turned on in the morning. Need your help.

Mine usually takes a few minutes to pressurize. It's not working even after a few minutes?
Driftmunky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 08:11 PM   #3
KTern
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

if you are running an atomizer it takes a few min for it to start.
KTern is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 08:22 PM   #4
AlanLe
Algae Farmer

Default No bubbles coming out when solenoid is turned on in the morning. Need your help.

I waited for 30 mins and still no bubbles. I also tested for leakage and unit was fine.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:28 PM   #5
AlanLe
Algae Farmer

The unit work fine if i turn off the solenoid and turn it back on right away. The problem occurs when the solenoid has been turned off for long period if time (overnight).
Old 01-30-2013, 10:22 PM   #6
kevmo911
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

I'd try an increase to 40-45 psi. If you continue to have problems, I'd say it's a leak you haven't yet found. check valves and the bubble counter are the most common culprits.
kevmo911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 11:24 PM   #7
AlanLe
Algae Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmo911 View Post
I'd try an increase to 40-45 psi. If you continue to have problems, I'd say it's a leak you haven't yet found. check valves and the bubble counter are the most common culprits.
I already checked for leakage and didn't spot anything. I dont know why the system comes alive after I increased the needle valve.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:26 PM   #8
TwoTacoCombo
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (16/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanLe View Post
The unit work fine if i turn off the solenoid and turn it back on right away. The problem occurs when the solenoid has been turned off for long period if time (overnight).
Does the solenoid make a different sound the first time it opens compared to when you manually reset it? Sounds like something is sticking inside.
TwoTacoCombo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 01:30 AM   #9
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoTacoCombo View Post
Does the solenoid make a different sound the first time it opens compared to when you manually reset it? Sounds like something is sticking inside.
No, the solenoid should sound the same all the time. It is just a plunger opening/closing, after all.

Perhaps there is some debris inside that is preventing the solenoid from opening/closing? You can try blowing it out with some blasts from your CO2 cylinder.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 07:25 AM   #10
AlanLe
Algae Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
No, the solenoid should sound the same all the time. It is just a plunger opening/closing, after all.

Perhaps there is some debris inside that is preventing the solenoid from opening/closing? You can try blowing it out with some blasts from your CO2 cylinder.
I did another timer testing.

1) power off solenoid and power on right away --> unit works correctly/ bubbles are visible in bubble counter.
2) power off solenoid for 10 minutes then power on --> no bubbles in bubble counter.

So what I do to get the system run again in the morning after the solenoid powers on is to increase the needle valve to give system a little jump start then I turn the needle valve back down to the desired bps count.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.