Lighting for my first planted tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 01-30-2013, 06:19 PM   #1
EpicSpec
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Lighting for my first planted tank

I just got an aqueon 55 gallon tank delux kit and I would like to make it into a planted tank. But I think the two 15w bulbs it came with is not enough light. I would like to have low light plants an maybe a couple medium light plants.what lighting should I use?
EpicSpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2013, 06:28 PM   #2
shambhalove.
Planted Member

Glass top and a shop light from hd, lowes, ace ect...
shambhalove. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:30 PM   #3
Yankee
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

A 48" finnex ray II will give you some nice med-high output. Or you can roll with a 2x54W Catalina T5HO fixture. This all depends on which specific plants you want. Just note that its always easier and cheaper to reduce high lighting instead of adding more light. That's why I suggest a moderate-high fixture so you can just alter it to your needs and always have the option to up the lighting down the road incase you want to try higher light plants. If you are 100% positive you only want low light plants, a couple of stock aqueon t5 strips will suffice with the right bulbs (or a cheap fixture from a home improvement store).
Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:35 PM   #4
Tillerjockey
Algae Grower

Default new lights

I also got an aqueon 55 gallon tank

I got the MarineLand double bright LED lights as I also thought there wasn't enough light in the tank with the flourescents. I got 2 of the 18-24" lights and they fit perfectly. You would get more light with buying one 48" light. I like the light as it creates areas of light and shadow in the tank. There is also a shimmering effect from these on the water moving from the filters. I also went with 2 hagen filters instead of the one that came with the tank. The plants are thriving. I have the lights on a timer for 15 hours per day.
Tillerjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:42 PM   #5
Tillerjockey
Algae Grower

Default no algae

One more thing I forgot to add.. the LED's point straight down. I've had zero algae buildup on the glass. I think that the glass doesn't get enough light to support algae growth. This might not be the case with the 48" light as there are more LED's.
Tillerjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:05 PM   #6
EpicSpec
Algae Grower

We're they cheap?
Old 01-30-2013, 09:09 PM   #7
EpicSpec
Algae Grower

So I don't know much about lights and should these LEDs just go inside the light fixture it came with or....