What happened to my shrimp??? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 01-30-2013, 04:08 AM   #16
ekcrowley7
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravensgate View Post
This officially takes the cake for weirdest thing I've seen happen to a shrimp. I can't even wrap my head around what that could be. So when you pulled it out, could you get a better look at it? Was that part thick or same thickness as the rest of the shell or...or...gosh I don't even know the questions to ask. It looks like it has a definite thickness and convex shape...which makes me think parasite of some sort or a leech. I know you're saying its not a leech, but if it WAS a leech if it was firmly attached I don't know if you'd see movement from it. So did you poke at it or investigate any further than just pulling the shrimp out? I'd have had that sucker under the microscope or a magnifier if I didn't have a microscope. That is just bizarre.
The best way for me to describe it...is if you smash your fingernail how it turns black and loosens and falls off...that's kinda what it looked like...it's like the shell just separated at the lower end and bent upwards...now as for the consistency of it...the whole shrimp was softer than normal...but i'm sure that was from it sitting in the water dead for a while...when I pulled it out in the net...and then tried to get it back out the of the net it was quite squishy...

I know i'm new to this and everything I just don't see how a leech could perfectly position itself over this one area of shell...if it extended down past it onto the legs or under neathe where you see the white/ivoryish coloring...then I could maybe see it...but there was nothing anywhere else except just that one area of the the carapace. No where else. That's what is the most confusing part to me.
ekcrowley7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2013, 05:55 AM   #17
mordalphus
These pants? are fancy.

PTrader: (272/100%)

looks like a bad molt to me... sometimes after its been rotting for a few hours when the flesh is stuck to the molt it turns funny colors.
mordalphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:12 PM   #18
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (131/100%)

You very well be correct, Mord. I've never seen the flesh turn black though?

Could black spot infection be the cause do you think?
Old 01-30-2013, 05:10 PM   #19
mordalphus
These pants? are fancy.

No, I've seen shells turn black, red, orange, purple, etc. Once the flesh is dead and exposed, opportunistic bacteria and organisms begin feasting immediately.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:54 PM   #20
ekcrowley7
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordalphus View Post
No, I've seen shells turn black, red, orange, purple, etc. Once the flesh is dead and exposed, opportunistic bacteria and organisms begin feasting immediately.
Ok, so do you think this is something that would affect my other shrimp? The others don't seem to have any issues with molting. I actually haven't ever seen any of them molt, but I have seen their moltings and they have all been whole body ones.

I did read an article early this morning also that if any injury occurs to the shell or tissue of the shrimp that toxic bacteria will begin to turn it black in that area. So I do think it's bacteria that turned it that reason. So I assume from molting issues or injury of some sort...
Old 01-30-2013, 06:05 PM   #21
mordalphus
These pants? are fancy.

What is your GH and kh?
Old 01-31-2013, 01:06 AM   #22
ekcrowley7
Algae Grower

Quote:
What is your GH and kh?
K- 8
Calcium- 80ppm

and I didn't realize it, but when the guy sold me the test today at the store, it was only the Kh test, not the Kh and Gh test
And the man at my LFS agreed that it was probably a bad molt and maybe even some blood somehow got in there to make the shell turn black...but he said he has seen similar things, but just not that location of the body

Is the calcium reading ok? Or do I need a supplement/plant to raise the level?
Old 01-31-2013, 03:25 AM   #23
mordalphus
These pants? are fancy.

Calcium hardness (gh or general hardness) is usually supposed to be above 5 degrees (18 ppm per degree) for healthy molting and carbonate hardness (kh) should be around 3 for neocaridina
Old 01-31-2013, 11:32 AM   #24
ekcrowley7
Algae Grower

Quote:
Calcium hardness (gh or general hardness) is usually supposed to be above 5 degrees (18 ppm per degree) for healthy molting and carbonate hardness (kh) should be around 3 for neocaridina
The LFS sold me just a calcium test kit (also noticed when i got home it is for saltwater), thats not the same as GH correct??
Old 01-31-2013, 03:27 PM   #25
mordalphus
These pants? are fancy.

No, not the same

Tags
cherry, dead shrimp, rcs, saddle, shrimp