ADA Substrate Fast Cycling Experiment
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 01-29-2013, 06:46 PM   #1
MiniFishRoom
Planted Member

PTrader: (19/100%)
Thumbs up

ADA Substrate Fast Cycling Experiment

ADA Amazonia Soil Cycling Experiment

A lot of the information that I have read online about ADA soil is that it leeches ammonia and needs to be cycled for a few weeks before any fish can be put in. From my experience with ADA Amazonia soil I would disagree. A few years back with the old Amazonia soil I let it cycled only for about a week and I tossed a pair of Wild Betta Macrostomas in and they were fine. Since I just ordered more ADA Amazonia I decided to experiment again to see if I can add my fish to the set up but this time in 4 days of cycling. Here is what I did with success again

1. Add in new ADA Amazonia substrate.
2. Add a little water to the substrate and plant the plants as needed.
3. Fill about 50%-75% of the tank with water from another established aquarium.
4. Take a USED sponge filter or box filter from one of the established tanks and placed it in the new setup.
5. Let it cycle for 4 days and you can toss in fish

I believe the trick to this is the established tank water and the sponge filter or box filter.
It’s been about two weeks now since I done this and my fishes (T.Candidi (Pair)) are still doing great.

I’m just letting everyone know about my experiences so try at your own risk.
I will be doing this again in the next 2 weeks or so once I get my 27 cube stand built.

Last edited by MiniFishRoom; 01-29-2013 at 06:55 PM.. Reason: edit
MiniFishRoom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2013, 07:12 PM   #2
antbug
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)

How about some test results? Just because your fish are living, doesn't mean they are fine. You could have caused damage that you don't know about yet.

I've done exactly what you have with the "established" water and a seeded filter plus daily 80%+ water changes and the ammonia is still present for 3-4 weeks.

antbug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 07:31 PM   #3
MiniFishRoom
Planted Member

I don't do all that spiffy chemical tests. Just straight trial and error.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:37 PM   #4
Couesfanatic
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

Then you are not proving anything. If you say it doesn't leach ammonia past two weeks and then not test it, we learn nothing.

People say it leaches 4 weeks because they tested for ammonia, myself included.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:45 PM   #5
danielt
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

There is no such thing as 4 days cycling. Simply because nitrifying bacteria takes time to develop and grow. Mostly time to colonize the substrate which does not happen in 4 days regardless if you put an established filter or not. There will be spikes in Ammonia/Nitrite.

2 weeks, maybe. With an over sized established filter that ran 2 months on an established aquarium.

These posts are funny. In the same league as the miracle bacteria cocktails that are supposed to cycle a tank in days.
danielt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 07:53 PM   #6
MiniFishRoom
Planted Member

It works for me so I thought I'd just share my experience
Old 01-29-2013, 07:56 PM   #7
danielt
Planted Tank Obsessed

Everybody keeps repeating to check Ammonia with tests. If you don't test it you'll never know.

But if it makes you happy I think that's all that matters
danielt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 08:01 PM   #8
vnghost
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
Default ADA Substrate Fast Cycling Experiment

I started with a tank, half old used substrate, half new substrate new Amazonian, seeded filter media from colonized filter, aquarium water from established tank. My ammonia levels were off the charts for at least 2 weeks, nitrite spiked heavy around the 3rd week and fully cycled around the 4th week. Just my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
vnghost is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 08:23 PM   #9
AnotherHobby
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)

Did you get your idea here: Just cycled a tank with new aquasoil in 4 days!!

Using used substrate, filter media, sponges and such can really speed up a cycle. I cycled mine with aqua soil relatively quick once I added used media, plants, and a sponge. Cranking the heat up helps a lot too. It was able to consume all of the ammonia and nitrite to zero within a week of me seeding the media and sponge.

However, even if your tank can consume all of the ammonia, that doesn't mean aqua soil doesn't still leach it. Due to the amount of ammonia that aqua soil leaches out, my nitrates were very high for 6 weeks and only recently came down into the normal range. I recommend a lot of water changes to keep nitrates down.
AnotherHobby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 08:33 PM   #10
MiniFishRoom
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherHobby View Post
Did you get your idea here: Just cycled a tank with new aquasoil in 4 days!!

Using used substrate, filter media, sponges and such can really speed up a cycle. I cycled mine with aqua soil relatively quick once I added used media, plants, and a sponge. Cranking the heat up helps a lot too. It was able to consume all of the ammonia and nitrite to zero within a week of me seeding the media and sponge.

However, even if your tank can consume all of the ammonia, that doesn't mean aqua soil doesn't still leach it. Due to the amount of ammonia that aqua soil leaches out, my nitrates were very high for 6 weeks and only recently came down into the normal range. I recommend a lot of water changes to keep nitrates down.
Nope. I just pretty much tried it myself and it worked out fine.
I didn't crank up heat or anything.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:53 PM   #11
Couesfanatic
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

Regardless, you are still having ammonia leaching through 4 weeks. It may "work" for you, but there still is ammonia even though your fish lived.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:04 PM   #12
MiniFishRoom
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielt View Post
Everybody keeps repeating to check Ammonia with tests. If you don't test it you'll never know.

But if it makes you happy I think that's all that matters
Yep, couldn't agree more.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:11 PM   #13
Knotyoureality
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Right up there with folks saying their water parameters are "perfect" because the water looks clear and there aren't any fish carcasses floating along the substrate.

Fish can, amazingly, survive pretty horrific conditions against all reason. Anyone who's had experience rescuing tanks knows that and it's a tough haul getting them to successfully adapt to decent conditions. Just as a rescue'd fish dumped into good water can die from the shock of sudden water chemstry changes, the fish currently in your setup may be managing with the conditions--but further rises in ammonia levels OR a new fish introduced to the same conditions may well result in fish deaths.

Glad it worked for you--at least so far, and hopefully you'll see that success continue--but it's bad advice to be giving if you can't support your claims with more than anectodal evidence.
Knotyoureality is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 11:24 PM   #14
AnotherHobby
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couesfanatic View Post
Regardless, you are still having ammonia leaching through 4 weeks. It may "work" for you, but there still is ammonia even though your fish lived.
Yes, it will absolutely continue to leach ammonia (no fast cycle will stop that). Biological filtration can grow quickly to cover for it though, so it doesn't mean the tank has lots of ammonia in it. There will be a lot of nitrate though as it get's processed to nitrate and then nitrate, and the excess can only be removed by water changes.
AnotherHobby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 12:25 AM   #15
ftwchopper
Algae Grower

Im on week three of cycling a 10 gallon with ada.I used established tank water and a seeded sponge filter and my amonia level is still at .25 ppm...
ftwchopper is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.