Am I on the right track?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 02-01-2013, 04:51 PM   #1
estill
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Am I on the right track?

Let me start with my setup. I have had a 55 gal tank running for many years now. Moderate light levels with CO2. I have always had BBA, but it was slow, and I just lived with it. This fall I switched my lights over to the Finnex Ray II. The additional light meant increasing the Co2 to just below the point where the fish were unhappy. Still I just lived with a little BBA.

About a month ago the center brace broke on the tank. Since the glass bowed almost an inch I replaced the tank. To my surprise the new 55 gallon tank is taller and the old 55 gallon tank. Everything from the old tank went into the new one with minimal rinsing.

Since then the BBA has exploded. So I installed a DIY reactor, got the co2 levels in check and reduced the photo period. The BBA slowed so I started an aggressive Excel treatment (spot and whole tank). The BBA is starting to go away but now cyano is starting to take over. If have this right the next steps are more NO3 and maybe further reducing photo period.

Am I on the right track?

For the rest of the details:
I dose KNO3 and K2SO4 dry and CSM+b mixed with water. My Nitrates are usually in the 5-10 ppm levels, depending on time of day.

Ammonia went to and has stayed at 0 about 3 days after the tank change.

Phosphates normally just register on the test.

I have a drop checker, but I adjust the CO2 based more on how the fish are reacting.

As for water flow I have a canister full of foam, and a power head on the other end.

My lights are currently on for 9 hours. I am planning on taking down to 8 after the water change this weekend.

There is very little dead leaves/mulm/leftover food in the tank.

Any algae free plants are doing great.
estill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement