Tonina basics?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 11-07-2005, 11:24 PM   #1
66 north
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Tonina basics?

I bought some Tonina sp. belem last week and it seems to be settling in okay but I'm just wondering from those who grow it what basic things you provide. I have it in a 90 gallon with flourite/eco-complete mix, 220 watts cf lighting, and pressurized co2. Kh is 4, gH is 8, temperature is 80-82 F, and I put a small bag of peat pellets in the substrate around the stems. What should I be targeting for nitrates? Any other tips?
66 north is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2005, 11:55 PM   #2
Marc
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

Ive only seen the plant do well in soft water with acidic substrate, like ADA soild and florabase substrate.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:02 AM   #3
trckrunrmike
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'm sorry to say but the tonina wont last long. I thought the same thing, hey maybe it doesn't need soft water and ada substrate...2 weeks later DAMNIT. Don't even bother with florabase use ADA.
trckrunrmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 12:31 AM   #4
66 north
Algae Grower

I was hoping the hardness wasn't so important, too bad. Oh well it was only a $3 investment.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:26 AM   #5
WfxXx
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to WfxXx

Quote:
Originally Posted by trckrunrmike
Don't even bother with florabase use ADA.
That is not totally accurate information, mostly stem's from frustration.

I have grown it in Flourite with kH4 gH8, it did not thrive, but it grew, it like's ton's of C02, prefer's soft water, Flora Base is rather fine substrate for growing it also, along with ADA.

Mostly it take's patience, it is a "slower" grower, and it takes a love for growing plants that are a little more difficult..
Old 11-09-2005, 05:12 AM   #6
AaronT
Collectoritis Patient

PTrader: (202/100%)

I'm of the opinion that it's the acidity of the water that Toninas prefer rather than hardness. My water is 2-3 KH and 12 GH and they grow fine with the CO2 cranked to a pH of 6.4-6.5. I would not try growing them in anything more alkaline than that though. If things get out of whack they don't do as well for me.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:10 AM   #7
Marc
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronT
I'm of the opinion that it's the acidity of the water that Toninas prefer rather than hardness. My water is 2-3 KH and 12 GH and they grow fine with the CO2 cranked to a pH of 6.4-6.5. I would not try growing them in anything more alkaline than that though. If things get out of whack they don't do as well for me.
AarontT what substrate are you growing them in?
Old 11-09-2005, 03:10 PM   #8
AaronT
Collectoritis Patient

I did have them in ADA, but now they are in Florabase. It helps lower my borderline KH to a better range. I did grow Tonina fluviatilis in the above mentioned conditions using Flourite/Shulltz mix just fine.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:50 PM   #9
66 north
Algae Grower

Did you guys grow it under a normal fertilization routine like EI, or did you find it needed specific levels. I keep my ph at 6.6-6.7 with a controller which is about 30ppm of Co2.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:14 PM   #10
AaronT
Collectoritis Patient

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66 north
Did you guys grow it under a normal fertilization routine like EI, or did you find it needed specific levels. I keep my ph at 6.6-6.7 with a controller which is about 30ppm of Co2.
I would venture to say that your pH was not low enough for the Tonina's liking even with proper CO2 levels and EI fertilization. I don't use EI per say, but it is similar to how I dose.

What substrate are you using? The advantages of Florabase, ADA, and other peat based substrates is that they themselves are acidic and the Toninas seem to love that even if the water is on the harder side. I'm of the opinion that plants do not have roots just as anchors.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:12 PM   #11
Marc
Wannabe Guru

Buddy of mine had some in fluorite and the stems in the gravel just rotted away. He floated it for a few weeks and it grew very quickly.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:27 PM   #12
vinnymac
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (53/100%)

I didn't have any luck with some I just bought last week. It died in a matter of days...which I attribute to my 7.3PH and moderately hard water.

My other plants do great.
vinnymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 08:14 PM   #13
66 north
Algae Grower

Mine has finally melted away, the macandra I bought at the same time is now taking off. In fact all the other "wimpy" plants I have are doing fine. I did what I could, peat pellets in the substrate around the tonina weren't good enough I guess. Although since this I know of someone growing Tonina fluviatilis locally, maybe it's a bit more tolerant.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:46 PM   #14
Jerm
Planted Member

Hehe, acidic water? I have about a 6 out of the tap. Poor fish, it must burn. Plants love it though.

Peter- Moveable printed type! We must keep this from the serfs less they gain literacy and threaten the landed gentry.

Serf- Whatcha got there ma' lord?

Peter- Nothing! Back to your turnips!
Jerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 05:22 AM   #15
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (255/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trckrunrmike
I'm sorry to say but the tonina wont last long. I thought the same thing, hey maybe it doesn't need soft water and ada substrate...2 weeks later DAMNIT. Don't even bother with florabase use ADA.
You have not seem my tanks, I get 2-3" a week and I use plain old flourite.
Water is soft, but the EI dosing and Flourite consistently grow the googies out of it, actually all the species/varieties.

ADA may help some folks, I have some tanks with that as well, but it is NOT a requirement.

It's a nice plant and all, but I find little special about it, other than other folk's problems and challenges growing it
That seems to be the main reason.

Regards,
Tom Barr
plantbrain is offline   Reply With Quote