Dark or black substrate suggestions? Cory friendly.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 01-28-2013, 04:39 PM   #1
driftwoodhunter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
Question

Dark or black substrate suggestions? Cory friendly.

I'm looking for suggestions for a dark or black substrate. I now use MGOPM capped with natural creek gravel found locally in most of my tanks, but I'd like to try something different in a tank that will have Columbia tetras, Diamond Tetras, and some type of Cory in it. I haven't even come close to picking out which cory, so that's up in the air.

The plant selection will be almost entirely needle or narrow leaf java fern and various anubias. Also, this is for a low tech/low light 90g tank. Normally I prefer a natural looking tank, but I think I'd like to do one with a little drama - hence the light fish and the dark substrate and limited plant selection. (to be honest, it's just that those are my favorite plants - lol).

I have Midnight Black FloraMax in on my 40B, and the color is leaching into the water column after 4 years, so I don't want it again. I've read about the blasting sand, but I worry that it's not appropriate for the corys. Are there any rounded, gentle to their belly/barbs options? I recently read a suggestion on another thread about going to local quarries and seeing what rock they have (because it isn't dyed) and I'm going to do that. Fortunately there are a few close to me. Still, I'd like to hear what others have found and are using...

An after thought; does anyone know how slate affects water/fish? I was even thinking about having about having a local quarry cut me a slab of slate to fit into the bottom of the tank. Like the old slate bottomed Metaframes. I'd like the look of that, and it would be so easy to clean (I don't plan on planting in any substrate on this tank). Well duh, I guess slate would be too rough too, don't know what I was thinking...

Thanks!
The Fraternity of Dirt # 7 - Daughter of the Dirt - Canon Club #018
Twin 29g Dirt Tanks on an Iron Stand - DIY 3D Backgrounds
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...stand-pic.html
The Behemoth - 125 dirt tank
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=199772

Last edited by driftwoodhunter; 01-28-2013 at 05:00 PM.. Reason: .
driftwoodhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2013, 05:28 PM   #2
JEden8
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

I'm actually in the same boat as you are with this. I was about to post the same question but saw you had one going already so I'm along for the ride! Same size tank and all. I'm just trying to do it with spending the least amount of money but still have a quality substrate.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:47 PM   #3
amberoze
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Default Re: Dark or black substrate suggestions? Cory friendly.

Black diamond blasting sand. I would use the fine grit with corydoras, as they like to dig a little and I think the coarser grits might damage their barbels. Plus black is it's natural color, so it won't fade or leach.

Also, slate is fine for corydoras, I have a piece in my 125 propped at an angle and I see my Cory's chillin on it shi the time.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
amberoze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 05:55 PM   #4
Bubba Shrimp
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

I have some Jumbo Green Cories I'm using Flourite Dark and they seem fine with it. They like to prop themselves up with there bottom fins. It's recommended that the substrate be fine to prevent damage to the barbels.

Guy: "I have Algae on my drift wood!"

Pet Clerk: "Take two Plecos and call me next week."

EHEIM Classic 2213
Check out my blog
tsturgeonblog.wordpress.com/
Bubba Shrimp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 11:56 PM   #5
Razorworm
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have a 40 low tech dirt tank capped with Black Diamond. It has 10 very healthy Sterbai Corys in it ( as well as 14 Otos and 6 Bosmani Rainbows) . The Corys love rooting around in the sand and there is no problem with their barbels. The misconception here is that the Black Diamond grinds or somehow erodes their barbels. The fact is, poor water quality and dirty tanks are the cause of barbel problems. The Black Diamond also holds newly planted stems very nicely as well as rooted plants and it looks great. I think your use of the word "dramatic" is quite fitting.
Razorworm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 12:06 AM   #6
owens81jw
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)

Tractor supply store has black blasting sand !!!!
owens81jw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 03:42 AM   #7
driftwoodhunter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks everyone ~ I'm going to check out the Black Diamond blasting sand, and now I know what grain size to look for. I have a Tractor Supply in town and I'll go there first. Knowing that the black is it's natural color is the big sell here, I'm very disappointed in the FloraMax leaching color. (not that I would use FloraMax again anyhow - I don't like the look of it)

Razorworm, I don't suppose you have any pics of your 40? I have a 40B I'm hoping to tear down before spring. I might decide to put the Black Diamond in that tank, too.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:56 AM   #8
driftwoodhunter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEden8 View Post
I'm actually in the same boat as you are with this. I was about to post the same question but saw you had one going already so I'm along for the ride! Same size tank and all. I'm just trying to do it with spending the least amount of money but still have a quality substrate.
I can't wait to see how your tank comes out - you'll probably get it done before I do!
Old 01-29-2013, 02:18 PM   #9
lullafishi
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

I just bought two bags of Black Diamond 20/40 for my 40b, too! But it's going to be awhile before I can get it set up as I'm waiting on a stand.

Both my bags have those little needle-like pieces that I'd read about in another thread. I'm thinking about getting some window screen to see if I can successfully sift the longer ones out. However, I've run my fingers through it wet and dry and it really doesn't feel sharp or rough at all. Given that so many others have had success with cories and Black Diamond, I'm not too worried.

The stuff really does look great. Mine has quite a bit of amber specks in it, but it's nice and black when wet. I'm definitely going to rinse mine first if it doesn't become too much of a hassle. I tried rinsing a small tupperware container to see what I was dealing with and there is very fine dust in it. The fine dust kind of creates an "oily" appearance when floating on the surface of the water, which I thiiiiink is what made some people comment about an oil residue in other Black Diamond threads?
lullafishi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 02:43 PM   #10
marcnc
Planted Member

Glad I read this, was about to pickup/order some FloraMax. Cannot beat the price, but the topic is bit of concern about the color of the water. Also not sure if my cory's will be happy with it?

I don't care for the blasting sand from tractor supply. Last time I picked up some for small tank it was full share thin metal, kinda looked like the size of small pins, was not about to pick it all out.

As I know it much more money, I think at this point I am going to get eco-complete. It not perfect and costs more, but I guess it will be better than the other 2, though hate to spend the money.
marcnc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 04:48 PM   #11
csf
Planted Member

PTrader: (19/100%)

The cory barbel thing is pretty well debunked.

I've had flourite regular for 10+ years with 3 current cories that are at least 3 years old and their barbels are close to half an inch long. See link below to post/pic.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...t=#post2294961

Finer grit won't change that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberoze View Post
Black diamond blasting sand. I would use the fine grit with corydoras, as they like to dig a little and I think the coarser grits might damage their barbels. Plus black is it's natural color, so it won't fade or leach.

Also, slate is fine for corydoras, I have a piece in my 125 propped at an angle and I see my Cory's chillin on it shi the time.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
csf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 05:12 PM   #12
polukoff
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by owens81jw View Post
Tractor supply store has black blasting sand !!!!
polukoff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 06:34 PM   #13
Razorworm
Planted Tank Enthusiast

what looks and feels like a needle to us is like a tooth pick to a little fish. Think scale!
Old 01-29-2013, 06:34 PM   #14
Razorworm
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodhunter View Post
Thanks everyone ~ I'm going to check out the Black Diamond blasting sand, and now I know what grain size to look for. I have a Tractor Supply in town and I'll go there first. Knowing that the black is it's natural color is the big sell here, I'm very disappointed in the FloraMax leaching color. (not that I would use FloraMax again anyhow - I don't like the look of it)

Razorworm, I don't suppose you have any pics of your 40? I have a 40B I'm hoping to tear down before spring. I might decide to put the Black Diamond in that tank, too.
I will in a bit
Old 01-29-2013, 07:10 PM   #15
Sugardaddy1979
Sic em

PTrader: (12/100%)

I've been using black Diamond from tractor supply for a year. All of my cories look great.
Sunsun Pimp Club Member #068
Sugardaddy1979 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.