Helping a friend rehab a saltwater tank...advice needed - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 04-24-2013, 11:47 PM   #16
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

I am revisiting this thread as we are finally going to tackle this tomorrow.

It sounds like a 50% water change is not too much so we will start there. He has cleaned his skimmer and sump which I am not familiar with so we plan to do that.

What about the pump? I don't know much about what he has. He is willing to redo some stuff so what type of GPH should he target? If it's preference, like planted tanks where some people do 1-3x turn over per hour and others do 15x per hour, with most in the middle, we will wait on that.

Lastly, he wants to ditch his lighting. I don't have enough time in my life to research this for him. He will always just buy what someone tells him to. He wants to go LED and I think he want's pendant type lights. No DIY. Cost isn't a huge issue but it needs to be in reason. He wants to add corals again but only after we get everything else right. His children like the fish much better than corals so more fish before corals is likely the path he is going.

Thanks again for the advice. I plan to have him test whatever he has test kits for tonight and then make changes accordingly.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2013, 12:17 AM   #17
BarbH
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Re: Helping a friend rehab a saltwater tank...advice needed

You might want to check out these guys, should have something that would work with doing pendant lighting
http://www.ledtric.com/
Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2
BarbH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:18 AM   #18
Kitsune_Gem
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via Skype™ to Kitsune_Gem

If you do have questions that cant be answered here, check out reefcentral.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:42 AM   #19
DaveK
Planted Tank Enthusiast

This is addressed to the op on this thread.

Your asking questions on a forum that isn't really geared to SW reef aquariums. You'll get much better results asking about this stuff on one of the reef forums.

While the goals of keeping a great tank are similar, the way it's gone about is very different. While the people here are very knowledgeable about planted tanks, unless they also keep a reef system, their experience and knowledge will be limited.

In reading the other replies to the op, I see some excellent replies, some ok, and even some that are way off base as far as reef systems go. In other words, you don't go see your dentist, no matter how good a dentist they are, to treat you for a brain tumour.
DaveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:45 AM   #20
James M
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinibottom View Post
Yes, for coral it's preferred to have a higher salinity than lower, but if you keep both coral and fish, you may want to go a little lower. There's really no hard and fast rule. Consistency is best. The average ocean specific gravity is 1.026, but I always kept my tank on the low side (1.023) to leave room for error when water evaporates. People with fish like to keep theirs even lower (1.021), supposedly it reduces stress on the fish and decreases their likelihood of illnesses -- but I really don't think it's recommended to keep it that low in a reef tank. Idunno, cause I always kept mine consistent at 1.023 and I never had a fish die (that wasn't killed by another fish) or get any diseases, and my coral was always growing and I had to give pieces of it away....
I always kept my fish only tanks at 1.019 with great success, I did this for a few reasons - 1.023 isn't low at all.
James M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:37 PM   #21
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

For led lights
last time i was on marine depot, they had a pretty decent selection, and sale going on for led's might wanna peruse them for a minute
Old 04-27-2013, 05:27 AM   #22
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Blazingwolf View Post
For led lights
last time i was on marine depot, they had a pretty decent selection, and sale going on for led's might wanna peruse them for a minute
He went almost all out and bought an AquaIllumination setup. Being new to LED, this is absolutely crazy how cool it is. Tomorrow we will start to try to dial it in.

As for everyone who said this isn't the best place for answers, I know many don't keep salt water tanks but many do. It was actually very helpful to me to get some info and just look it up. My friend is knowledgeable on this stuff but just isn't obsessed. It turned out to be pretty simple. A 50% water change got us 90% there. His tank is the salt water equivalent of taking a medium tech planted tank and just turning the lights out for a year, the plants will die, the filter will need maintenance, the water parameters where not that off. We plan to do another big water change in about a week and go from their.

On the cooler side, we were recommended a really cool place that is local enough for me, semi-local for him. I didn't need anything and it sucks when you can't find $10 to spend when your friend is dropping quite a bit of money but it was way better than all my LFS except for one, and AFA in SF which isn't exactly local, but close enough to make the trip.

Anyway, thank you everyone for all your advice. I feel like we made some major progress, everything is doing well and our water parameters seem in check.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote