Check out my new tank - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Old 08-30-2003, 12:00 PM   #16
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (3/100%)

Saluki.... this was pretty comical... thanks for the giggle :lol:

Quote:
the stress on the flooring would only be equivilant to that of a 24 inch tall tank. I have a 24 inch tall tank in my living room . . .

Old 08-30-2003, 04:59 PM   #17
jart
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

buckman what the hell are you doing lurking around "the lounge" on a saturday? what about all this so-called intensive labor you are supposed to be doing on your new house? i suppose you sent your poor wife into town to buy you a new power tool that you so "desperately need" to finish a job, while you spend an hour or so online . and then when she gets home, you tell her you pulled your back and you have to spend the rest of the aft on the couch...

it's an art, ain't it? :P

(your new place looks good, btw...)
jart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2003, 06:40 PM   #18
2la
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saluki
Most residential flooring (assuming 16 inch joist spacing and 5/8 inch floor sheeting) can handle a uniform static load of around 400 pounds per square foot (Safe Uniform Floor Load for L/180 deflections). Dynamic loading (people moving around, bouncing balls, etc) limits are significantly lower.

If we assume that the full tank plus stand weighs 20000 pounds, and this weight is spread out over an area of 160 square feet (20'x8'), then we have a loading of 125 psf, well within the static load limits. Now, we would also need to take into account other items in the room, such as furniture. This takes us much closer to the design limit. However, I think it would be possible.

Can we put it in your house to test my calculations?
You're talking only about stresses on the crossbeams of the floor itself; you have to account for the joints between the crossbeams and the vertical beams as well. However well distributed the weight is across the floor, it can't surpass what the joints can bear. The only question is which would give first.
2la is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2003, 12:09 AM   #19
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

hehe...
Jart, it was only an hour or so and it cost me dearly.... it set me back an hour or so.... :lol:

I have to do something while drinkin my mornin coffee bro....

My excuse now is that it is 8:00 at night and I am sick of workin on my pc room..... almost time for dinner ! :shock:
Old 08-31-2003, 03:30 PM   #20
Saluki
Algae Grower

Send a message via Yahoo to Saluki

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2la
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saluki
Most residential flooring (assuming 16 inch joist spacing and 5/8 inch floor sheeting) can handle a uniform static load of around 400 pounds per square foot (Safe Uniform Floor Load for L/180 deflections). Dynamic loading (people moving around, bouncing balls, etc) limits are significantly lower.

If we assume that the full tank plus stand weighs 20000 pounds, and this weight is spread out over an area of 160 square feet (20'x8'), then we have a loading of 125 psf, well within the static load limits. Now, we would also need to take into account other items in the room, such as furniture. This takes us much closer to the design limit. However, I think it would be possible.

Can we put it in your house to test my calculations?
You're talking only about stresses on the crossbeams of the floor itself; you have to account for the joints between the crossbeams and the vertical beams as well. However well distributed the weight is across the floor, it can't surpass what the joints can bear. The only question is which would give first.
You may not have noticed the winking smily and the suggestion that we try out my calculations at someone else's house.
Saluki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 09:03 AM   #21
2la
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I noticed it.
2la is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 12:48 PM   #22
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

:lol:
Old 09-06-2003, 02:34 AM   #23
convicted_convict
Algae Grower

You would have to get in the tank to plant and clean it. The kids would love to be a part of that. Free scuba lessons. Imagine that tank busting, that would be a ton of water on the floor.
Old 09-16-2003, 06:53 PM   #24
Ray1214
Algae Grower

I am in Atlanta, and that tank was near us I believe in Loganville or Lawerenceville. One of the members of the Atlanta Reef Club brought it to my attention. We are kinda in agreement that the tank and the aluminum joists may not support the weight of that thing full of water.

Ray

I worked my self up from nothing to a state of extreme poverity
Ray1214 is offline   Reply With Quote