My 29g Journal
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 12-03-2014, 05:33 PM   #1
nawilson89
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

My 29g Journal

Starting my little journal here for my 29g tank. Please read and give feedback! I've only gotten to wear i am from all the times ive posted on forums and learned new things!

Specs:
Standard 29g tank from Aqueon
30g filter from API
T5 fixture from Aqueon.
DIY CO2 (very excited that it works )
Heater (of course)

What's in the tank now?
30lbs of Floramax substrate
Two awesome looking pieces of driftwood
Hornwort
Cabomba
Dwarf Sag
Swords
Java Moss (its really not doing to well)
Java Fern

1 Double Tail Betta (his name is Gaius Julius Ceasar, picked him up at Petco because when he saw me he started going crazy in his bowl. He will be moved to my cubicle in the near future)
1 Sparkling Gourami (impulse buy. I want Sparkling Gourami or Licorice Gourami in my tank. I saw him at my LFS in a tiny tank with two upside down catfish. He looked sad, and they told me he's been there for forever. I couldnt stand seeing him like that. brought him home and he's full of energy and love for Gaius).

What I want:
This is the hard part. A few years ago i had sparkling gourami and dario Hysginon, corydoras habrosus and rasbora all supplied by MsJinkzd. i moved over to saltwater (i want to say it was a mistake but i learned so much that it was probably the best move i could do). I want to go back to that set up though... OR... I fell in love with Apistogramma....

I'm probably going to go back to Dario Hysginon though, and maybe throw in some Pygmy Sunfish while i'm at it ( I think they would look awesome together).

Here's a pic that i took Monday. Since then the Cabomba is about to leave the tank and get some fresh air. (their growth is amazing, i really wish my other plants would do as well too)

Click image for larger version

Name:	20141201_175326.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	398402
nawilson89 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2014, 06:25 PM   #2
fordtrannyman
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (157/99%)

Coolio

VICTOR PIMP #2
VTS-253-A & MATHESON DUAL STAGE Model #3102
fordtrannyman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2014, 11:47 AM   #3
nawilson89
Algae Grower

Received some Red Root Floater in the mail last night. Excited to see how it turns out. Cabomba has reached the surface and is ready to break through. Going to cut it today after work and replant. I plan to move them toward the rear of the tank.

Gaius is building a bubble nest. Looks like im in trouble. He flares at everything and goes after my hand now.

I use floramax substrate, should i also use root tabs? Just wondering.
Old 12-10-2014, 07:44 PM   #4
nawilson89
Algae Grower

Over the weekend I picked up 4 Pygmy Cory, the store I visited didn't have anymore so this is all I got, ill be calling them this week to see if more came in so I can file up. I'm shooting for 10-11 in all.

I want to thank Midnighttide102 for is Raok and sending me some Ludwigia and Salvinia. Planted those yesterday, hoping they grow quickly so I can propagate some for my desk tank at work.

I now have 8 stalks of Cambomba and the Hornwort has taken over the entire right side of the tank, from top to bottom. Going to cut it and bring it to my LFS this week also.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:58 PM   #5
AshNeon93
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'm not 100% but I think a Betta and a Sparkling gourami could potentially be a recipe for disaster
AshNeon93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2014, 02:22 AM   #6
nawilson89
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshNeon93 View Post
I'm not 100% but I think a Betta and a Sparkling gourami could potentially be a recipe for disaster
You are right. The betta is only in here temporarily as the tank at my job cycles. He's also a more bark than bite fish, but if I have to separate them I do have the ability too.
Old 12-11-2014, 02:29 PM   #7
nawilson89
Algae Grower

Default Input needed!

This morning i took a few shots of the tank before I left for work.

The salvinia is almost covering the top of the tank where ever hornwort isnt pushing it out of the way.

The hornworts and cabomba growth is amazing to say the least. I wish everything else grew half as well.

On another one of my posts we came to the conclusion that the java moss has to go, funny thing about that. It's slowly been getting greener in recent days. I'll get a small piece of driftwood from my LFS and band the greener pieces to it when the new stuff comes.

Dwarf Sag is still.... the dwarf sag. No noteable changes, looks like I need to get root tabs to keep it up.

Ludwigia is showing new leaves. I'm going to separate the stalks this weekend I think. I've never had them before so any input is appreciated.

Alot of the bushel of java fern, browned and melted away, but i think some is coming back, java fern was a plant I couldnt grow in the past at all, but with my CO2 i think i have a fighting chance.

The tanins in the water kind of annoy me. It diffuses light and I think it may be hurting more than helping. I used to keep a real blackwater tank (only for a few months) with minmal plants and it did the trick, but this time I didnt want my water so dark. I've been doing weekly water changes to try to balance it out.

All in all I think it's looking really good.

Name:	20141211_045523.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	402546

Salvinia is so cool, can't believe I've never had it before.

Name:	20141211_045544.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	402554
Old 12-14-2014, 12:20 AM   #8
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawilson89 View Post
Alot of the bushel of java fern, browned and melted away, but i think some is coming back, java fern was a plant I couldnt grow in the past at all, but with my CO2 i think i have a fighting chance.
I have found Java Ferns need phosphates supplied with Potassium Phosphates. Many cities does their water with phosphates. Thus most don't have problem with ferns.

What state are you in?
Hilde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2014, 12:21 AM   #9
nawilson89
Algae Grower

I does my tank weekly. Don't think it has phosphates in them. I'll check tomorrow and if u have to find some to dose with I will. Thanks!
Old 12-14-2014, 01:10 AM   #10
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawilson89 View Post
I does my tank weekly. Don't think it has phosphates in them. I'll check tomorrow and if u have to find some to dose with I will. Thanks!
Ferts can be bought here.
Hilde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2014, 08:29 PM   #11
nawilson89
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
Ferts can be bought here.
Thank you. I'll look into them!
Old 12-17-2014, 01:00 PM   #12
nawilson89
Algae Grower

I've been contemplating removing both the Cabomba and Hornwort from the tank. Their growth has been amazing to say the least, but I feel that their growth is starving the other plants. I have Salivnia for cover so the hornwort isn't needed as much anymore. I spaced out my Ludwigia so i'm hoping for better growth.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.