Eheim 2213 vs. 2217 vs. 2075 for 35 gallon?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 02-03-2013, 05:57 PM   #1
scottytank
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Eheim 2213 vs. 2217 vs. 2075 for 35 gallon?

Hi there,
I currently have an Ehiem 2213 running for my 35 gallon tank. It was what was recommended to me when I bought all my gear at my LFS. However, I didn't know I may want more gallons per hour turnover and they didn't ask the right questions of course. I read all the time on here that for heavily planted tanks (which mine is) you should have a water turn over goal of 10x's per hour. That would mean I should have a filter that is running at 320 or more gph. The 2213 is a paltry 116 gph not even half. That said the filter also doesn't provide all that much circulation and I've had to add a Koralia 240 to increase water movement in the tank to get my plants swaying as well and was considering adding a second one.

My question is will upgrading my 2213 to a 2217 (essentially doubling the gph but still not 10x's) really benefit me and my fish a lot? Will it cut down on algae concerns, aid in clean up of waste and circulate my CO2 better? Is it worth it splurge and get the 2075 (UltraG160) to get to that 10x's turnover (330 gph) for $60 or so more?