Cat litter
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 02-16-2013, 12:11 PM   #1
Jnad
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Cat litter

Hello!

Anyone have succsess with cat litter as substrate?

Jnad
Jnad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2013, 05:09 PM   #2
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

I use Safe-T-Sorb.
This is the same material as the clay type of cat litter, but is baked a bit longer. This makes it harder, does not fall apart in the water, and it is darker in color. Much more natural looking than the white or off-white kitty litter.

Safe-T-Sorb is a product made to absorb oil spills, so you might find an equivalent product in stores that supply car repair shops. The manufacturer is Molton. I do not know if this brand and product is available in Norway. Something similar probably is.

If you want to try kitty litter get samples of all the ones you can and test them by placing them in a bucket of water and keeping the water moving with a bubbler or power head, or even just stirring by hand several times per day. After a week or two see how well they have held up. If the water is staying cloudy all the time, then the kitty litter is not a good choice.
Talk to other aquarium keepers that have access to the same materials as you, and see if they suggest any particular brand.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2013, 05:56 PM   #3
UGA_Grad_Student
Planted Member

I have had kitty litter in my 50 for almost a year now. Haven't had any problems...that I could tell at least. Plants are all thriving doing great. The type you get is very important. I used special kitty from walmart. I think it was the red bag. Be sure to rinse it over and over and over...over....over.
UGA_Grad_Student is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2013, 08:00 PM   #4
lochaber
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I had previously set up a tank with kitty litter, back in the late 90s. I think it was the Hartz pH 5.5 stuff. it did get kinda soft after a while, but seemed to work fine.

There are a few accounts on here of successful kitty litter substrates. I imagine most important is trying to find a product that is pure clay- no perfumes/fragrances/dyes, etc.

As Diana said, you may want to consider stuff used to clean up petroleum/chemical spills. I had read someone's (can't remember who) post where they were stating that these were less likely to break down/dissolve since they are intended to be swept up after absorbing liquid, while kitty litter doesn't need that quality.
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.