RO system for MN water?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Minnesota

Old 01-22-2013, 06:15 AM   #1
Dx3Bash
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)

RO system for MN water?

We have extremely hard water here in the Southern Twin Cities area (Apple Valley/Eagan). I have read several posts, from people who know significantly more than I do about planted aquariums, that plants/fish adapt to hard tap water just fine and RO isn't necessary. For those living in Minnesota, has anyone moved from tap water to RO and seen improvements to plant health? I also plan to order some Discus this Spring when the weather warms up a bit, so I am leaning towards an RO regardless. Thoughts?
Dx3Bash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2013, 03:37 PM   #2
tropicalmackdaddy
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=175620

Cheap alternative im thinking about using this because of my minneapolis hardwater
Old 01-27-2013, 08:20 PM   #3
Capsaicin_MFK
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)

I use an RO filter in my house. My tank gets 66/33 mixture of RO/tap and it allowed me to grow more sensitive plants than before with using straight tap.

This is all you would need, and the company is in Golden Valley, so drive over and save on shipping. --> http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-4-...tem-75gpd.html
Capsaicin_MFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:04 AM   #4
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

I live in Apple Valley and have the same very hard water. Directly from the tap it has a KH of 18-19. The tap has 20 ppm CO2 in it, so it's pH is 7.4 if tested immediately, but if you let the water sit out for a day or so the pH is 8.2, which is what your aquarium will end up being if you take no measures to lower it, or if you don't inject CO2.

Aqua Soil lowers my KH such that on Sunday, right before a water change my KH is at 6. After a 50% change it's up to 12 and then lowers back to six 1 week later. As for pH, with CO2 injection it hovers between 6.8 and 7.0. So far this is working well for me.
AnotherHobby is offline   Reply With Quote