Strange - Did Amanos Kill my CRS
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 01-26-2013, 06:09 AM   #1
binbin9
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)

Strange - Did Amanos Kill my CRS

So I ran into some extra algae issues. I adjusted the photo period also so Picked up a few amanos.

2 for the golden bee tank and 2 for the CRS mix tank. I added them last night. I come home from work to see one dead golden and one dead CRS.

I wonder if there's a correlation here? I've read amanos are peaceful so they couldn't have been the killers or could they? but as precaution I went ahead and removed them from the tank.
binbin9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2013, 06:47 AM   #2
shrimpnmoss
Shrimpsanity

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to shrimpnmoss

Directly or indirectly probably. If your shrimps were fine then you added the Amanos then shrimps died. Then two things could have happened.

1) Amanos carried something nasty into your tank and your shrimps were not used to it. LFS tanks are especially nasty. Private tanks are usually cleaner.

2) Amanos killed the shrimps. I've seen Amanos kill CRS and smaller shrimps...especially bigger Amanos.

Were the two dead shrimps 1/2 eaten? If not probably #1. I don't like Amanos in shrimp tanks because they are more aggressive than CRS and they also hog all the food.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:04 AM   #3
Bluek24a4
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

I have never seen an Amano kill a shrimp, but they will eat dead shrimp.
Bluek24a4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:04 AM   #4
binbin9
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)

In the Golden Bee tank the amano was hovering over the golden bee but not eating him. In the CRS tank I did not see the amano near it. I was relatively cautious about getting any of the LFS tank water into mine but maybe they carried something else with them that killed my bees. I hope it doesnt spread to the rest of the tank. That would suck so bad.
binbin9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:14 AM   #5
Bluek24a4
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

I wouldn't freak out over one shrimp death in each tank. It could be completely unrelated. Multiple deaths in each tank I would be worried about.
Bluek24a4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amano shrimp