6.6 gallon for CRS
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 01-24-2013, 12:35 PM   #1
stevenjohn21
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

6.6 gallon for CRS

I have some CRS in a 10 gallon at the moment but the conditions (Ph) is not ideal for them to breed. The tank is already scaped and i dont want to tear it down, id rather use it for something else. My option is is start another tank so i can add peat moss/sand stone to lower the Ph but the tank im thinking about is the Petco 6.6 gallon. Since the footpring is longer than the 10 gallon would this be acceptable to keep CRS in ? The tank will be going on top of a metal/glass TV stand so i cant go any bigger than 10 gallon for fear of the stand not holding the weight.

“Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans win.” -Gary Linekar

"Some people are on the pitch! They think it's all over! It is now, it's four!" -Kenneth Wolstenholme
stevenjohn21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2013, 12:49 PM   #2
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (403/100%)

It'd be fine for Crystals as long as you don't let the population get out of control.

Though, pH is not the most important factor with sensitive shrimp. KH and GH are more important. Ideally, you'd have a KH of 0 and a GH of about 5.

What kind of water will you be using? Tap or RO? If tap, what are your tap water parameters?
somewhatshocked is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 01:04 PM   #3
stevenjohn21
Wannabe Guru

Straight from the tap my water is as follows:
PH 7.4
KH 2-3
GH 4-5

The tank has pool filter sand carpeted by HC, i dose DIY C02 so the Ph drops to 7.2, i also place a cuttlebone in the tank.

These are not high quality CRS but obviously i want to keep them happy and breeding.

“Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans win.” -Gary Linekar

"Some people are on the pitch! They think it's all over! It is now, it's four!" -Kenneth Wolstenholme

Last edited by stevenjohn21; 01-24-2013 at 01:15 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 01-24-2013, 01:33 PM   #4
stevenjohn21
Wannabe Guru

With your recommended water params i decided to place 1 drop of KH and 5 drops of GH in the test tubes and took a picture, this is what the colors are..... the camera actually took a pretty true to life still. This might sound silly , but how can you measure your KH as 0 with the API test kit?

*EDIT* After going back to the test tubes 5 mins later, i noticed the KH (On the right side) was clear in color, the GH was the same color.

Last edited by stevenjohn21; 01-24-2013 at 02:03 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 01-24-2013, 01:55 PM   #5
Merth
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)

Lol been wondering the same Steve, I assume it might be the intensity in color one drop produces gives the presumption
Merth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 02:18 PM   #6
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

To measure hardness, you add however many drops it takes to change to the appropriate color, depending upon the kit you're using.

I don't use API, so I can't help you there. They're not too reliable, in my opinion, and I prefer Sera or other branded kits.

KH is generally measured as 0-1. If you add a drop of KH reagent and the water in the tube immediately turns the color it's supposed to? Then you've got 0-1 KH. If it takes two drops? It's 2KH. Same for GH.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:26 PM   #7
stevenjohn21
Wannabe Guru

So with these params:
PH 7.4
KH 2-3
GH 4-5

what should i be trying to change to keep my shrimp happy and breeding ?

Old 01-24-2013, 02:28 PM   #8
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

If they're breeding and happy, then change nothing.

Though, if you want parameters that are considered ideal by most? You'll need to start with RO/DI water and remineralize it to about 5 GH and use a buffering substrate like ADA Aquasoil, Azoo Plant Grower Bed, UP Aqua Shrimp Sand or something similar.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:30 PM   #9
Rob in Puyallup
Opae Ula Crazed.

PTrader: (3/100%)

CRS=Crystal Red Shrimp? If so I'm thinking lower pH is better. 6.0 to 6.5.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2
Rob in Puyallup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 02:31 PM   #10
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

my crs are happy and breed pretty well in kh 2 gh7 ph of between 6-7 depending on the tank ( i have 2 diff tanks with the same shrimp i split them up)
wicca27 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 02:43 PM   #11
stevenjohn21
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Though, pH is not the most important factor with sensitive shrimp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob in Puyallup View Post
CRS=Crystal Red Shrimp? If so I'm thinking lower pH is better. 6.0 to 6.5.
And this is exactly why i get confused !

I only got my shrimp 2 weeks ago , so ive not had the chance to see if they are breeding or not.

And again im confused why i would get RO water and adjust it to GH 5 when my tap water reads 5 already....sorry to sound stupid but i got to ask the questions if im going to learn ;-)

Old 01-24-2013, 02:58 PM   #12
82nd_Airborne
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

The point you need to take away from this is not to worry about ph. If your gh and kh are within acceptable ranges, you are good. I don't remember the exact reason that Ph is secondary, but that's what all the shrimp big wigs on here say, so I just listen.

Your tap water is fine for low grade crs, but to get to IDEAL parameters, you would need ro water to lower your gh.
82nd_Airborne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 04:02 PM   #13
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

pH matters, though is not the most important factor in keeping shrimp. Use the search feature if you doubt it. Or fire up your googler.

KH and GH (hardness) are much more important when it comes to keeping dwarf freshwater shrimp. Water not hard enough? Molting and other shell-related issues occur. Water too hard? Lots of other issues occur.

A note about pH/KH - KH allows pH to be somewhat set. In tanks where you have 0 KH? It can fluctuate unless you're using something to buffer (like substrate) or are monitoring parameters on a regular basis.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:42 PM   #14
MABJ
Invert Warrior

The point of RO water is it is a clean slate. It gives you 0 TDS to start with, no GH and no KH. You control what parameters it becomes.

On the other side of this discussion, listen to what Jake is telling you. He's bred these shrimp successfully, he know's his stuff.

New to shrimp? Need help? Check out these threads:
|Essential tools to buy|List of inverts|Sage advice|

Mark A Belcher Junior, a proud member of the DBP Club.
MABJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 06:30 PM   #15
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

It's not so much that I know my stuff but what is general consensus about what works.

As mentioned above, if your shrimp are fine in your current parameters? Don't change a thing. Maintain that stability. But if you want more ideal parameters? Start with RO water and remineralize to about a GH of 5.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.