Endlers endless pregnancy
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 02-07-2013, 06:45 PM   #1
CornishCactus
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Endlers endless pregnancy

When i got this female it was already a fatty despite being half the size of other females, it's gotten even fatter since, and is fairly boxy shape.
It's got the gravid spots, but I've had it for about 6 weeks now, maybe 7
I have two other females which also have gravid spots, and I've got 3 fry which I'm fairly sure came from one of those two ( despite a lack of slimming or disappearance of the spots when they appeared.

could it be pregnant this long? or is it just fat. ( it's fairly shy, and while it eats isn't as keen as the others )

Cheers
CornishCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2013, 07:53 PM   #2
msawdey
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

some livebearers can almost be endlessly pregnant. I have seen fish that people had no idea where pregnant not have a male around for months and give birth multiple times
Old 02-07-2013, 08:11 PM   #3
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

they can hold fry till they fill safe. ive had one female gup that was pg for almost 2 months then dropped prob close to 100 fry. depending on the strain, age, and temp of the tank can all be factors in how long they hold before they drop.

msawdey yes some can hold sperm, guppies i know can and hold for something like 3 month and have 3 or 4 batches of fry. that is why if you want to create your own strain its best to start with virgin females so you dont have to wait that long for all them to drop. i think endlers can do the same. i want to say swords can but not sure if mollies and platties can or not. i have never had them so dont really know
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:12 PM   #4
Knotyoureality
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Hard to tell with most of my endlers, but I've got one female--being bred to a guppy hybrid and isolated from other females so it's easy to know who's having what--who will release 2-3 fry, do nothing for a couple days, then drop the rest in one big push. She's also had a couple times when she's only dropped 1/3-1/2 the usual number of fry, not slim down all the way, then drop weight gradually with a longer wait than usual before she's carrying again; my suspicion is that she re-absorbed the unborn fry.
Knotyoureality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:29 PM   #5
CornishCactus
Algae Grower

this one looked ready to pop when i got it tho
i did have it separate hanging tank so any fry it dropped would be safe, it went back in the main after 5 weeks because i got bored waiting and figured it wanted a safer place to have them than hanging off the side in a plastic tub

Last edited by CornishCactus; 02-07-2013 at 09:47 PM.. Reason: to make sense
Old 02-07-2013, 08:50 PM   #6
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

some times putting them in breeding tanks like that make it worse on the fish and stress them where they wont have fry. i dont tend to move the moms i just keep lots of hornwort and moss in the tank for fry to hide in when born so they are not eaten
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:51 PM   #7
CornishCactus
Algae Grower

lots of moss about, and some pretty safe tank mates.
i did see a harlequin take a run up one on the first day they were born as it went to the surface, which apparently they do, but it decided it wasn't food at the last second and turned back
all 3 fry first spotted when they were 1st born are now growing fast and it'll only be another week or two till the first sign of colour if it's a male, just like the cheeky male fry i got that jumped in the bag at the shop with something else, he's now the daddy of these 3.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:08 PM   #8
Knotyoureality
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicca27 View Post
some times putting them in breeding tanks like that make it worse on the fish and stress them where they wont have fry. i dont tend to move the moms i just keep lots of hornwort and moss in the tank for fry to hide in when born so they are not eaten
I've given up moving the moms as well--not so much because of the stress to them but to ME, they're practically impossible to catch in my tanks. The fry, however, are brainless and so commonly congregrate at the surface that it's easy to net them out.
Knotyoureality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:42 AM   #9
le0p
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

My females (down to one now, the other jumped to her death ) are always preggers. The second they're not pregnant, they're hounded back into it. I wait a couple weeks then move them to a hob breeder and leave them there till they've dropped all if not most of them. The fry are moved into a seperate larger tank eventually when they grow up.

If you keep the females and males together, it'll never stop.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:57 PM   #10
CornishCactus
Algae Grower

i don't mind if they breed, i just want this one to spit them out
Old 02-16-2013, 01:30 PM   #11
CornishCactus
Algae Grower

still getting bigger, getting silly now