Wanting to take the SAT test but I am not very "smart".
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Old 01-26-2013, 02:20 AM   #1
Zefrik
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Wanting to take the SAT test but I am not very "smart".

So let me lay out the position I am in right now. I am an 18 year old that dropped out of high school during the 2nd semester of 9th grade. So that was 2 years ago. Since then I went to take my GED and I passed. Now I have a diploma from the state of Kansas. I am now working ~40 hours a week minimum wage, and I am wanting to start looking into college. I guess the first thing to do would be to take the SAT test. Isn't that one of the major things you need to even qualify for college?

I have looked around online to find some example questions from the SAT and from what I have seen I feel pretty stupid now. I seriously have forgotten or have not learned what I need to know to be able to take this test.

For example...

Now I am just telling myself.....

What should I do so I can learn/re-learn this stuff. I don't want want to be stuck where I am at forever and I want to do something about it but I don't know what!

I am looking into getting a book or something to help me. Where can I find a book that can explain this stuff to me? I can't take classes at the moment since I work all the time so it is going to have to be something I can do by myself for an hour or two in the evenings.

Would something like this be of any help?

http://www.amazon.com/The-Official-S...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks in advance for any feedback!
Zefrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2013, 02:25 AM   #2
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

PTrader: (13/100%)

Take SAT prep classes. It'll be more helpful. They're offered at the local high school or college.

You'll more likely to run into word problems more than anything. Don't forget the English/verbal part of the test
mistergreen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:31 AM   #3
l8nite
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

I know it sounds silly, but there are a LOT of good, free, educational videos on Youtube. Particularly ones focused on high-school and early-college level math, science, english, etc.

To answer those math questions, you need to study Algebra and basic Trigonometry.

SAT prep courses & practice tests will also be very useful to you. Grab a practice test, grab the first question, and start researching how to solve it.
l8nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:33 AM   #4
Dave-H
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Khan Academy is amazing - quick lessons about things you need to know for SAT!

"The fewer our wants, the nearer we resemble the gods." Socrates

Dave-H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:35 AM   #5
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

There might be evening classes that you can take (around your work schedule).

A book might be helpful for extra studying, but unless you are extremely vigilante about studying, it is unlikely you will get a lot done.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:37 AM   #6
jnaz
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)

Just go to a JC first. You won't need to take the SAT's if you graduate from a JC before going to a 4 year college. Save some money and get the core classes out of the way. Do you know what you want to major in? Do you know what you want to do after you graduate?
jnaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:37 AM   #7
funkman262
Algae Grower

Check if your local community college requires you to take the SAT. You may need to take a simple placement test there just so they know how advanced to start you in your coursework.
funkman262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:49 AM   #8
Calmia22
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

If you have a GED/Diploma, then community colleges cannot deny you acceptance. Do 2 years there and either get your associates degree or continue onto a regular college and get your bachelors or higher. The SAT test is not required unless you are a high school senior graduating and you want to go directly to a 4 year university.
Fluval Flora Pimp #34, 40b Congo Puffer Tank,
75 Gallon High Tech
Calmia22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:52 AM   #9
Zefrik
Wannabe Guru

Well I have taken the entrance exam for a local tech school and I passed. I am looking into taking their computer networking and repair course. I can't start until next august though. And they recommended taking some math classes. Not quite sure where or what they meant by that.
Zefrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:00 AM   #10
Calmia22
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

My husband does networking, he got his associates, and is now going for his bachelors. You need to find out exactly what classes you need then just go through a community college.
Fluval Flora Pimp #34, 40b Congo Puffer Tank,
75 Gallon High Tech
Calmia22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:25 PM   #11
Silmarwen
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zefrik View Post
Well I have taken the entrance exam for a local tech school and I passed. I am looking into taking their computer networking and repair course. I can't start until next august though. And they recommended taking some math classes. Not quite sure where or what they meant by that.
Congrats

I would also recommend taking some math classes. I used to proctor a math placement exam, and ninety percent of the people who did poorly, were not dumb. They just didn't know how to do certain things. If you're going into networking and such, it would be a really good idea to get yourself VERY comfortable with numbers. Networking isn't always solving equations and stuff, but the logic is all applicable.

I'd take a 98-level course (the sub-100s are usually 'remedial' and don't count toward graduation), just as a refresher, make sure you're absolutely solid on those concepts. Then, into the algebra, geometry, etc. You probably don't need, like, calc and stats or anything, but the more math you take, the more confident you'll be in, well, everything. Take it from someone who really, really, really regrets not taking more math courses. :| I didn't "NEED" them, so I passed them up. And I really wish I hadn't, because now, numbers make my head spin, and I can't do anything with computers like I wanted to.

Good luck, I know you're going to do fine!

10g "Community" of nothing but Danios - 2g (barely) planted Betta - 2.5g Betta - 1g Pond Snail Repository

My aquascape style tends towards 'tall in the back, short in the front, lots and lots of green and stuff. And maybe a rock somewhere...'
Silmarwen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
math, sat, school, studying