DSM question
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 01-26-2013, 08:19 PM   #1
PamAndJim
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

DSM question

I am going to start my 2g Fluval Spec using DSM to get my DHG going. I think I have a pretty good grasp on how to do it. But, I am not sure how other plants will do with the method. I am planning on throwing in a crypt or two and a couple stems of some Rotala I have in my 125. Will these do OK with DSM?

My other big question is about co2. This tank will be at my office and will not have any co2. I have read that co2 is very important once you flood the tank. In the absence of co2 can I use Excel? Or will I have trouble with the plants melting.
PamAndJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2013, 08:32 PM   #2
PamAndJim
Planted Member

Also, I am going to be using MTS capped with black (Aqua Terra) sand as the substrate. Does that sound OK?
Old 01-27-2013, 01:12 PM   #3
ChadRamsey
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (56/100%)

i personally would hold off on dry starting any stem plants.

Any plants that you move from one flooded tank to the next tank, once again, i would wait until after the flood. The reasoning is that the plants goes through a acclimation period between emersed and submersed. You may lose some during this acclimation. And if they go from flooded to emersed to flooded agian thats alot of changes and the plants probably will not respond to well.

So i would DSM the DHG and then add other plants later, after the flood. DSM, imo, is best for carpeting plants.

Your substarte choice sounds fine.

good luck

There are 2 types of people on this forum. Those that have algae, and those that lie and say they don't.
ChadRamsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:33 PM   #4
Monster Fish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)

You can dry start stems but in my experience it's not necessary since they will grow like weeds if conditions are right. Dry starting the crypts is good though since it will give the crypts time to get established and resist melting once you flood the tank.

If you don't have CO2, Excel will suffice. Just be sure to dose accordingly for your smaller tank.
RAOK Club #77|The Fraternity of Dirt #112
Monster Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:42 PM   #5
PamAndJim
Planted Member

Right now the DHG is submersed. I got some from the lfs and am getting more from a local club member. Will I have problems if I trandition it to emersed and back to submersed? Maybe I'd be better off just flooding it from day 1???
Old 01-27-2013, 04:01 PM   #6
Monster Fish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamAndJim View Post
Right now the DHG is submersed. I got some from the lfs and am getting more from a local club member. Will I have problems if I trandition it to emersed and back to submersed? Maybe I'd be better off just flooding it from day 1???
It shouldn't be a problem converting it from submersed to emersed if you keep the humidity up.
RAOK Club #77|The Fraternity of Dirt #112
Monster Fish is offline   Reply With Quote