Keeping a North American Native Fish Tank?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 10-31-2014, 02:16 PM   #1
knm<><
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)

Keeping a North American Native Fish Tank?

Does anyone keep a North American native fish aquarium? I have had passing interest in this lately. Though I don't have the right setup to keep bluegill, perch, or largemouth bass at the moment. I'm tempted to look into doing it. I might also think about keeping shiners in my 75 gallon. If I do, what kinds of plants would be appropriate for a native tank?
Fraternity of Dirt #168
knm<>< is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2014, 03:08 PM   #2
Cav2201

PTrader: (1/100%)

I keep Brown Darters and Bluenose shiners. I do not concern myself with trying to keep native plants exclusively though. You do need plants that will handle cooler temps as you will not generally heat the tank. Keep in mind that depending on where you live it may be illegal to keep some natives.
There is a ton of information about keeping native fish and plants on the NANFA forums here: http://forum.nanfa.org/index.php/for...orum-of-nanfa/
Cav2201 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2014, 03:16 PM   #3
Aqua nut
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

I started a Florida native tank a few months ago.. There a lot of local lakes and canals around here.
I grabbed some Jungle Val, 2 types of Bocopa, Hair Grass and some Ludwigia.
for a start. Also picked up some Cypress Knees from up-state.
Hopefully the knees will water log soon or I'll have to screw some slate on the bottom.
The Fraternity of Dirt #164
I'm so crazy I use Sunlight!!
RAOK CLUB #149
There are 2 types of people on this Forum. Those that have Algae and those that lie and say they don't.
Aqua nut is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2014, 03:52 PM   #4
falcooo
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua nut View Post
I started a Florida native tank a few months ago.. There a lot of local lakes and canals around here.
Hopefully the knees will water log soon or I'll have to screw some slate on the bottom.
Do you have a journal of that tank? Would like to see that.
Old 10-31-2014, 04:53 PM   #5
NotCousteau
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

I have a 33 long Minnesota stream tank with rainbow and fantail darters, southern redbelly dace, a small shoal of mixed shiners and a lone banded killifish, which is not a stream fish. I would love to keep longear and pumpkinseed sunfish, but I don't have the space for a tank that big.

Unless you're going for a biotope aquascape, you can use any tropical plant you'd like. Temperature is not going to be an issue for the plants in an unheated tank. There are many native plants, like val and hornwort, that will do great, but I've also read that many other native plants require a dormancy period and aren't suitable for home aquariums. I'm from the upper Midwest, so maybe that is not an issue for plants from the southern U.S.

A great aspect of keeping natives is getting out there in nature and collecting them yourself. It can be a ton of fun and very educational. There are so many beautiful natives, and the further south you go, the more colorful and amazing they become. Just make sure to familiarize yourself with your local laws and to be safe in the water.

If laws don't permit collection of certain fish you want, there are great online vendors and aqaubid. Good luck!
NotCousteau is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2014, 05:35 PM   #6
knm<><
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav2201 View Post
I keep Brown Darters and Bluenose shiners. I do not concern myself with trying to keep native plants exclusively though. You do need plants that will handle cooler temps as you will not generally heat the tank. Keep in mind that depending on where you live it may be illegal to keep some natives.
There is a ton of information about keeping native fish and plants on the NANFA forums here: http://forum.nanfa.org/index.php/for...orum-of-nanfa/
Thanks for the link, I'm difinitely going to have look.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotCousteau View Post
I have a 33 long Minnesota stream tank with rainbow and fantail darters, southern redbelly dace, a small shoal of mixed shiners and a lone banded killifish, which is not a stream fish. I would love to keep longear and pumpkinseed sunfish, but I don't have the space for a tank that big.

Unless you're going for a biotope aquascape, you can use any tropical plant you'd like. Temperature is not going to be an issue for the plants in an unheated tank. There are many native plants, like val and hornwort, that will do great, but I've also read that many other native plants require a dormancy period and aren't suitable for home aquariums. I'm from the upper Midwest, so maybe that is not an issue for plants from the southern U.S.

A great aspect of keeping natives is getting out there in nature and collecting them yourself. It can be a ton of fun and very educational. There are so many beautiful natives, and the further south you go, the more colorful and amazing they become. Just make sure to familiarize yourself with your local laws and to be safe in the water.

If laws don't permit collection of certain fish you want, there are great online vendors and aqaubid. Good luck!
I was definitely thinking of a VA biotope. I guess I have a lot of research ahead of me if I want to pursue this route.
Fraternity of Dirt #168
Old 10-31-2014, 05:43 PM   #7
NotCousteau
Planted Member

Virginia? Then you have to get yourself some warpaint, fieryblack and saffron shiners! You've got great options. I'm JEALOUS. Good luck.
Old 10-31-2014, 05:51 PM   #8
knm<><
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotCousteau View Post
Virginia? Then you have to get yourself some warpaint, fieryblack and saffron shiners! You've got great options. I'm JEALOUS. Good luck.
I will look those up. I was also thinking of pumpkinseeds (Lepomis gibbosus).

Just looked up VA Dept of Game and Inland fisheries policies. It seems I can collect up to 20 specimens of non-game fish per day and 5 specimens of game fish per day for personal use, not for sale. Sweet!
Fraternity of Dirt #168
Old 10-31-2014, 06:05 PM   #9
Betta132
Wannabe Guru

Look into orangespotted sunfish. Very pretty fish. Keep a male and three females, the male will show his colors better with somebody to show off for. Beautiful orange-bodied fish with green/blue fins... thought I was looking at a released cichlid or something the first time I saw one, because the colors were so different from most sunnies.
My adventures in keeping Indostomus crocodilus, the crocodile toothpick fish. AKA armored stickleback, paradox fish, and freshwater pipefish. Care is (to the best of my knowledge) exactly the same as Indostomus paradoxus.
Betta132 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2014, 09:49 PM   #10
JDS1212
Algae Grower

Ive got a 210g native tank. with long ear sunfish. the plant that grows the best for me in the cool water is moss. I'm constantly trimming it.

If you wont to no more about natives this is the site for you. plus if you go down to the vender forum you can by some nice fish.

http://forum.nanfa.org/
JDS1212 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2014, 10:34 PM   #11
treyLcham
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua nut View Post
I was in jacksonville this past weekend and in one of the canals there was like at least 20 big patches of either dwarf hair grass or just reg floating around it was awesome XD
treyLcham is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2014, 02:19 AM   #12
knm<><
Planted Tank Obsessed

I officially decided on a single species tank of pumpkinseed sunfish. NotCousteau, I took your advice and joined the NANFA forum. I got a lot of inspiration and now feel confident in this course of action. My name on that forum is powerguy85. I am still going to plant the tank (natives only) so I will continue to update my journal here, it's in my signature.
Fraternity of Dirt #168
Old 11-02-2014, 02:38 AM   #13
NotCousteau
Planted Member

That's great. Pumpkinseed are beautiful. I'm also on NANFA under this same screen name.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.