HC growing vertical instead of horizonal?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 10-07-2014, 05:37 AM   #1
CanuckGame
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

HC growing vertical instead of horizonal?

Hey everyone,

So I did the DSM for my HC for 2 months didnt see alot of spread, but the plants themselves grew quite a bit,

I flooded the tank 11 days ago, and I cranked my co2 to avoid melting, which worked. The HC is doing AWESOME! BUT, its not doing what I was hoping for, it seems to be growing up, vertical.. instead of spreading along the substrate, and staying short and nice nice.

This is definitely not what I want, I want a beautiful short carpet.

This is going to be a high tech setup, havent started dosing ferts yet or anything.

Tank size- 20G LONG
Substrate- ADA Aquasoil
Light- Finnex Fugeray planted+
Pressurized CO2- yes
Ferts- dont have a plan yet, need to get on that asap.

My first thought would be they are growing towards the light because they are not getting enough, I sure hope this isnt the problem as I was originally going to get the Finnex Ray2 but I was directed on this forum that the planted+ would be more than enough for a 20 long.

The HC has grown about 1.5 inches upward in 11 days, quite good growth, just the wrong way haha.. should I trim it and hope that it spreads horizonally?
CanuckGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2014, 06:32 AM   #2
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

I'm not too familiar with the light, but if others have made a point that the light should be sufficient, you can also try to "train" the HC by trimming it, as you have mentioned.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 09:04 AM   #3
sunrage
Algae Grower

I have the exact same problem. The HC looks healthy and growth is good, but it just grows upwards, or on top of the soil.
sunrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 04:44 PM   #4
ChemGuyEthan
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (13/100%)

I had a similar experience at first. I think it happens if the runners don't really root too well during DSM. I've noticed emmersed HC tends to spread across the soil, not go "through" it like it does submersed. If they don't root well, they're going to float up as the gas bubbles collect on them after flooding. I would suggest you trim the vertical pieces and replant them. They should help fill in any gaps you have. As the plant grows, the new runners should stay down.
Wabi Kusa Attempts
You can never have too many tanks...just too little time.
ChemGuyEthan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 08:16 PM   #5
AshNeon93
Planted Member

Usually plants grow upwards if they don't have enough light, they reach for it. Or it could just be normal baby tears and that's how big it gets.
AshNeon93 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 08:17 PM   #6
nayr2
Algae Grower

This happened to me as well. I increased lighting intensity and started trimming and now it's spreading out. I'm not sure if either or both are the solution, but try trimming and see if it helps.
nayr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 08:41 PM   #7
greaser84
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Trim the long stems and replant them at a slight angle. I noticed the plants I did that with would grow along the substrate as opposed to straight up. The planted plus is more than enough light for an HC carpet.

Last edited by greaser84; 10-07-2014 at 08:41 PM.. Reason: ...
greaser84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 09:33 PM   #8
lamiskool
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

going to have to agree with everyone else, its either the light or you need to trim it more to "train it."
Old 10-10-2014, 10:27 PM   #9
flight50
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

I agree with the trimming to train portion. Also, its a misconception of light being the root problem once plants start to grow vertical. There are several people that have HC growing in low tech tanks/medium lite tanks. Light is a driving factor but not the main issue. I recall researching that its in fact Co2 that the plants are reaching for. Co2 and light drives the plants to grow faster. Can't have high light without co2. In turn, plants require more nutrients for healthy growth. The problem with DSM is that the plants are not submerged under water and use co2 that is in the air already. Once submerged, the co2 has to be dissolved and cranked up. This is a transition period for any DSM plant. This is where the training comes into play.
Eheim Pimp #509
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER#31
The Fraternity of Dirt #146

Builds - Duo DIY Quad Stands

Tanks - low tech 29g
flight50 is online now   Reply With Quote