Cleaning Hard to Reach Spots in Planted Aquarium
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 08-29-2014, 09:02 PM   #1
DesignZ
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Exclamation

Cleaning Hard to Reach Spots in Planted Aquarium

I sorta have a dead spot in cleaning. My tank is heavily planted around that area with roots right under that area. I can't reach to gravel vac that area and sometimes there's decay buildup there. Should I be worried or should it be okay and will turn to nutruients and get sucked up? I gravel vac my substrate to clean detritus as much as I can. Just curious if it'll be dangerous thanks
DesignZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2014, 09:13 PM   #2
greaser84
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)

Mulm is not dangerous in a planted tank. The plants actually use it. Other than looking nasty there's no problem with it. If you want to remove it but your vacuum is too big try using just the tube for those hard to reach places.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:55 PM   #3
DesignZ
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by greaser84 View Post
Mulm is not dangerous in a planted tank. The plants actually use it. Other than looking nasty there's no problem with it. If you want to remove it but your vacuum is too big try using just the tube for those hard to reach places.
ah alright thanks, was curious it'll spark ammonia or something as my corner right of my tank s plants galore and its hard to reach cause of em and the driftwood.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:58 PM   #4
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Debris of this sort is the same as other waste that gathers and has no more nor less danger. It's just that you can see it!
The point that it becomes a danger is when /if your filtering and cleaning begin to run short. It does add to the load the good bacteria has to process or the filter and your cleaning have to remove. In theory, the bacteria builds up to process more as more of it collects, so no problem. When it might become a problem is in some situation where you have a sudden increase in the load for the bacteria, maybe from a dead fish getting lost somewhere? Or maybe due to some error in cleaning, the bacteria is knocked way down.
When either of these happen, having a large amount of debris left around can push things over the edge so that a large amount of ammonia is left not processed.
Something like driving too fast? You can do it all the time and it is not a problem but it does eat up a certain amount of the "slack" we like to keep. All is well until the unexpected happens and then the high speed makes it lots worse than if we had kept our speed under control.
Not a problem to have excess debris laying around but it can be a real problem if you come home and find the filter has not been running.
PlantedRich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 02:45 PM   #5
DesignZ
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
Debris of this sort is the same as other waste that gathers and has no more nor less danger. It's just that you can see it!
The point that it becomes a danger is when /if your filtering and cleaning begin to run short. It does add to the load the good bacteria has to process or the filter and your cleaning have to remove. In theory, the bacteria builds up to process more as more of it collects, so no problem. When it might become a problem is in some situation where you have a sudden increase in the load for the bacteria, maybe from a dead fish getting lost somewhere? Or maybe due to some error in cleaning, the bacteria is knocked way down.
When either of these happen, having a large amount of debris left around can push things over the edge so that a large amount of ammonia is left not processed.
Something like driving too fast? You can do it all the time and it is not a problem but it does eat up a certain amount of the "slack" we like to keep. All is well until the unexpected happens and then the high speed makes it lots worse than if we had kept our speed under control.
Not a problem to have excess debris laying around but it can be a real problem if you come home and find the filter has not been running.
Ah alright, most of the mulm is just plant detritus, my bioload is extremely small with one betta and two ghost shrimps aha. I thought mulm build up led to nitrate problems so that's why I asked

Tags
cleaning, dead spot