Two 10g Scape
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 01-25-2013, 11:22 PM   #1
lamiskool
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Two 10g Scape

Well so recently I got back into aquariums and planted tanks and had two 10gallons laying around so thought I would start two new scapes. The first thing I did after doing a bit of research (which I wish I did before setting up my 55g) was to make myself some mineralized top soil for my plant. My 55gallon is a does not have this and so I have to add ferts every day so I wanted to make my life a bit easier. The second thing I did was to de-rim the tank just because I liked the look of it better. After that I was just a matter of waiting and going around getting material for the hardscape. For both tanks I used maple wood from my backyard which I put in the oven at 200 degrees and then boiled. I did this cycle six times so hopefully anything bad in it would have leeched out...I also plan on doing a lot of water changes and dont plan on having fish in the tank for the first month or so. The rocks I got from a local yardscaping store, and Im pretty sure the rocks in one tank are seiryu rocks and the other I actually have no idea and pray that its safe for the tank. The plan will be for one tank to have 8-10 galaxy rasboras, and the other will either have 1F/1M dwarf puffer, or just 1 dwarf puffer. I also might have some CRS with the rasboras. Anyways just got my first shipment of plants today (thanks to plantedtank community!) so I thought I would post up some pictures. I am still waiting on the fissidens/mini pellia to cover the rocks to give them a more "aged look." The plan with the "floating island" hopefully will be that weeping moss will grow and over the plastic shelf and I will also cover the "mini tree" in the same tank with weeping moss. As for the other tank I will be attaching tiny Anubias micro to the wood. I will then wait for as long as it takes for the dwarf hairgrass and HC to carpet both tanks and then will add water and latter on fish the planned fish. Ill post more as my tank progresses. Please post any suggestions or thought!

MTS

Tank before/after De-Rimming

Layout with hardscape

Layout after plants were added!

Bonus Picture, heres a picture of my hamster caught in the act of stuffing her cheeks filled with food lol
lamiskool is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2013, 11:48 PM   #2
Kinection
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

You inspire me. Looks sick!
Old 01-26-2013, 12:37 AM   #3
Conrad283
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

Wow, looks great. I really like the rocks on that shelf
Conrad283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:47 AM   #4
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Nice two setups!

MIAPG - Come join us - Plantedtank - MI - Greatlakesaquaria
GMYukonon24s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:49 AM   #5
AaronT
Collectoritis Patient

PTrader: (202/100%)

Nice looking setups. Have you derimmed a 10 gallon tank before? I'm curious how they'll hold up.

I recommend letting the tanks mature a bit before adding shrimp. Soil always has unknowns no matter how clean the source might be and inverts are the most sensitive creatures we keep.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:54 AM   #6
lamiskool
Wannabe Guru

Nope this was my first time derimming. I water tested both of them and it seemed fine. And yea im not planning on adding shrimp any time soon. Still waiting at least a month or so before i even add fish.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:32 AM   #7
lamiskool
Wannabe Guru

Here are updates on the tanks after I got all my plants! Going to wait until monday so the rest of the plants can keep growing thier roots and then I will fill it with water. Tell me what you guys think and any suggestions!

Old 01-31-2013, 12:44 AM   #8
CPDzeke
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

How does thAt shelf work? Is it glued on?
ADA Gentleman #1
Treeless Mountain V3
CPDzeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:48 PM   #9
lamiskool
Wannabe Guru

Some plastic and yea superglue
Old 01-31-2013, 03:56 PM   #10
junglefowl
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (39/100%)
Default Two 10g Scape

Super nice on your floating island!!!
junglefowl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:41 AM   #11
lamiskool
Wannabe Guru

Update! I just added water and got all the equipment for the tank. Still need to get a diffuser and a second Co2 setup for the other tank though....I thought splitting the tubbing and having both go into each tank would work but turns out it wont so ill have to get another one set up. Also seeded a lot of the filtration material from my 55 so I should be able to put fish in in a few days/weeks I hope....Sorry for the messy tank shots...I didnt feel like cleaning and one tank seems to be very cloudy and for some reason I think it looks a bit to messy, hopefully it will look better when it fills out and the "tree" fills out...The other tank with the two branches seems to be doing fine...while doing the dry start I might have let the anubis petite dry out to much but I think it is recovering right now or I hope it is. Also the wood seems to be growing some fungus/algea? Let me know what you guys think!

And heres the Vase I have next to the two tanks that I set up yesterday (found the vase in the garage and used extra substrate to fill it in. Also got the java moss from my 55 gal. Hopefully this will be my "snail farm" for my dwarf puffer that I plan on putting in the 10 gallon that has the sand.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:23 AM   #12
BJK
Algae Grower

Love the aquascape! These tanks are definitely inspiring!! How long did the de-rimming take?
BJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:15 PM   #13
lamiskool
Wannabe Guru

Probably 20mins or so for the first one and 10 for the second one. Be careful cleaning the silicone from the glass with a blade..i cut myself in accident so many times lol and thanks!
Old 02-06-2013, 11:40 PM   #14
AlexDrops
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamiskool View Post

This tank looks really good! I like the rocks set up a lot nice job!
AlexDrops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:10 AM   #15
lamiskool
Wannabe Guru

Update! Finally added fish and they are doing great! I have one Dwarf Puffer in one tank, and 10 Celestial Pearl Danios/Galaxy Rasboras in the other. The local hobbyist also have me two other cool fish which I put with the CPDs but I forgot what they were called I will try and get a picture of it latter.

Heres a quick vid of my puffer eating, I did get him to eat from forceps and ill get vids of it, now he comes up and eats from it every day