More Crypts Next Week, Including a Couple of Rarities
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Sponsors > Riparium Supply

Old 01-24-2013, 05:20 AM   #1
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (141/100%)

More Crypts Next Week, Including a Couple of Rarities

I should have more crypt plants in-hand next week. They will include some familiar plants as well as some more unusual/rare selections. Please check back here if you are interested.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2013, 05:30 AM   #2
yogi1974
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

Awesome!!
Old 01-25-2013, 01:14 AM   #3
chevyguy8893
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)

Nice! I guess I will hold off on ordering some gro soil tabs to try till I see what you get for plants.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:16 AM   #4
Sajacobs
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)

The excitement builds
Old 01-30-2013, 01:02 AM   #5
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

Got 'em! I'll post a list with prices as soon as I can.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:25 AM   #6
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

Here's a quick list. Sorry I don't know if I will have time for pictures, but I include brief descriptions with each selection.

Note that some of these plants are better grown as humid vivarium or emersed collection specimens and might not grow very well underwater.

I'll post this list again tomorrow with prices.
  • Aglaonema simplex - This smaller-growing "Chinese evergreen" lives in swamps in Southeast Asia. It is not an especially attractive plant, but it is easy to grow and a good plant to have if you collect aroids. These specimens are about 12" tall.
  • Bolbtis heteroclita - Unlike its popular aquarium relative, B. heudelotii, this interesting fern is difficult to grow underwater, but it can grow well in wet places with its leaves in the air. Plant with the rhizome on top of the substrate.
  • Cryptocoryne albida - Tidy, erect crypt from Thailand with sword-shaped leaves. This is a good one.
  • [I]C. cordata "blassii" - Very attractive tall plants with paddle-shaped, brown leaves sporting magenta reverse. Cool!
  • C. ciliata - This unusual crypt is adapted to grow in brackish estuary swamps, but it also grows very well in freshwater. The striking red spathes (leaf-like flower hood) have a strong pumpkin aroma.
  • C. lingua - This short (~4") collector crypt from Borneo has erect spoon-shaped leaves. It is apparently difficult to grow underwater and more easily grown emersed in a nutrient-rich substrate.
  • C. lucens - This short, green crypt with grassy foliage is easy to grow and useful for aquascaping.
  • C. walkeri - The attractive brown foliage of this easy-to-grow Sri Lanka crypt is useful for the midground area of planted aquascapes.
  • C. pontederiifolia - This is one of my favorite plants! It grows well underwater or emersed and can get to be pretty large (12"+) with time. Emersed plants bloom frequently with yellow-throated spathes.
  • C. petchii - Easy-to-grow smaller crypt with patterned leaves. Good for aquascaping.
  • C. wendtii ‘Green’ - This short-statured green crypt is quite useful for aquascaping, especially when planted in groups in the aquarium foreground. It will also grow very well emersed.
  • Lagenandra thwaitesii - Don't miss out on this unusual plant! The very attractive, sturdy leaves sport silver margins. I have only grown this plant emersed, but it can apparently grow underwater, too.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:48 PM   #7
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

I started a sales thread with prices for these plants. Here's the link...

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=230106
Old 01-31-2013, 02:17 PM   #8
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

Hi folks!

These three selections are sold out or nearly sold out--I'm waiting to get confirmation from a couple of people:
  • C. blassi
  • C. lingua
  • C. wendtii 'Green'

I still have a fair number of all the other ones.

Cheers!

Old 02-01-2013, 12:24 AM   #9
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

You can see the Aglaonema simplex "in action" in this video that I made recently. Watch for it at 2:15 in the riparium planter. There are various other ways you can plant that plant, too.

28-I-13-Hillstream-Riparium - YouTube

If you grow it up and give it good light + ferts the Lagenandra will bloom with this impressive purple-throated spathe.

Really cool!
Old 02-06-2013, 09:43 PM   #10
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

Here's an updated availability list with a few pictures, too!
  • Aglaonema simplex ($2) This smaller-growing "Chinese evergreen" lives in swamps in Southeast Asia. It is not an especially attractive plant, but it is easy to grow and a good plant to have if you collect aroids. These specimens are about 12" tall.
  • Bolbtis heteroclita ($2) Unlike its popular aquarium relative, B. heudelotii, this interesting fern is difficult to grow underwater, but it can grow well in wet places with its leaves in the air. Plant with the rhizome on top of the substrate.
  • C. ciliata ($1.50) This unusual crypt is adapted to grow in brackish estuary swamps, but it also grows very well in freshwater. The striking red spathes (leaf-like flower hood) have a strong pumpkin aroma.
  • C. lucens ($2.50) This short, green crypt with grassy foliage is easy to grow and useful for aquascaping.
  • C. walkeri ($3) The attractive brown foliage of this easy-to-grow Sri Lanka crypt is useful for the midground area of planted aquascapes.
  • C. pontederiifolia ($2.50) This is one of my favorite plants! It grows well underwater or emersed and can get to be pretty large (12"+) with time. Emersed plants bloom frequently with yellow-throated spathes.
  • C. petchii ($3) Easy-to-grow smaller crypt with patterned leaves. Good for aquascaping.
  • C. wendtii ‘Green’ ($3) This short-statured green crypt is quite useful for aquascaping, especially when planted in groups in the aquarium foreground. It will also grow very well emersed.
  • Lagenandra thwaitesii ($3) Don't miss out on this unusual plant! The very attractive, sturdy leaves sport silver margins. I have only grown this plant emersed, but it can apparently grow underwater, too.

C. lucens - This picture shows two individual plants.

A. simplex

C. petchii - This picture shows two individual plants.

L. thwaitesii - This picture shows two individual plants.