The Planted Tank Forum banner

G3 on a Mini-M?

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Green_Flash 
#1 ·
Is it even possible without having the NHC come over and name the resulting hurricane? (Tankipal Storm Ada, maybe?)

I really love the styling, features and gadgets on the Fluval G3. Let's face it, to an electrical engineer like me, that's a sexy piece of machinery :proud: , and the reviews I've seen say it's super easy to clean. But I want to put it on the Mini-M I am taking to work. Can someone who knows something about the filter comment on how low it might be possible to restrict the flow without causing damage or making the filter useless? I've searched but my Google-Fu has failed me on this subject.

#4 ·
As with any canister filter, restricting the outflow (not the inflow) is key to safely reducing output on the filter.

Eheim sells quick disconnect valves (that may or may not fit on the Fluval; if they do not, you could easily DIY one out of ball valves from the hardware store) that you could use to restrict flow on the output side.

#5 ·
Not certain what kind of hoses these use, but you might be able to create an "H" by putting two "T's" inline and connecting their third leg, effectively creating a second circuit through which water circulates, reducing the whirlpool in the tank without changing the filter throughput itself. If that makes sense...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.