Planted kribensis breeder (10g)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 01-28-2013, 01:35 PM   #1
Colorblizzle
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Planted kribensis breeder (10g)

So I've been setting up this tank for months with hiccups along the way as far as not knowing exactly what to get for the tank but here's what I have, I have the tank of course, glass canopy, finnex fugeray LED fixture (10w 96 LED's) which gives me roughly 50 PAR, AC20 for filtration alto I will be switching to a rapids pro mini canister filter (80GPH), jäger submersible heater (50w), flourite black sand substrate, marina micro LED blue LED lunar lights, rotala indica, cryptocoryne wendtii, anubias nana, and a male and female pelvicachromis pulcher. The male is about 3" and female a little over and inch. They have 1 PVC cave buried in the substrate. Plants have been in the tank since Saturday and Kribs since yesterday. My questions are will the make be aggressive towards the female because if size difference? I've been keeping a close eye on them. And will the blue lunar LED's affect my plant growth in a negative way? How large of water changes should I do? I'm only planning on 20% ever 2 weeks or so. I have flourish brand fertilizers for the tank I will be dosing weekly including ,nitrogen potassium phosphorous and trace. Also photoperiod is set at 6hours a day right now and I'm planning in upping it to 8 hours after a while can I go 10 hours eventually? It's a low-tech setup so there is no added CO2
Colorblizzle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2013, 01:47 PM   #2
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)

10g is too small for a pair of kirbs. When you get a spawn, you're going to see anywhere from 40-120 fry and that tank is not capable of supporting that many fish... let alone a single juvie and it's parents; who will chase the juvie and probably kill it in order to make the tank "safe" again for breeding.

try paragraphs too. I'm not really sure what you're asking because there are too many questions in a row without spacing so I ignored them and probably answered something you're not asking.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:56 PM   #3
Colorblizzle
Planted Tank Obsessed

I got the idea from my friend who breeds Kribs. She has been doing it for years in a 10g tank. And hers isn't planted hers is pretty bare. She gave me the idea to plant it giving a more natural feel for the Kribs and better water quality. And I was never good at English class I have no idea when to begin or end paragraphs and am know for run on sentences lol so sorry about that in advance
Old 01-28-2013, 04:29 PM   #4
johndimo
Algae Grower

I agree that 10G is small for a breeding pair of kribs. The male grows larger than the female, so I wouldn't be worried about that. I think the recommended minimum is 29G. I have a pair in a 55G community planted tank and wouldn't do smaller.

To really see their parenting skills in action and reduce any aggression toward each other you will need dither fish. Some curious enough to come near them while they are spawning, but fast enough to escape unharmed. This keeps their aggression toward other fish and not on each other, which is the more natural setting for them.

They can also potentially spawn monthly and will quickly turn on their current young fry into threats the moment they are ready to spawn again. You will need to have a plan to regularly rehome lots of fry.
johndimo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 04:35 PM   #5
Colorblizzle
Planted Tank Obsessed

I want dithers but don't know what I can get that's small enough and fast enough to fit with them in the 10g. Maybe some neon tetras? Or celestial pearl danios? And I'm getting another 10g with a sponge filter for fry
Old 01-28-2013, 05:16 PM   #6
johndimo
Algae Grower

I think most schooling fish (tetra, danio, rasbora. barbs) would work fine as long as they are top or middle swimmers.

With that said, should should seriously consider getting a bigger tank.

I 10G can be used as a growout tank, but I wouldn't use it for a pair of kribs plus dither fish. There's just not enough room.
johndimo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 05:18 PM   #7
Delexboarfoot
Algae Grower

Breeding kribs isn't hard. You need a male, a female, a cave and some water. Soon you will have more kribs than you can safely shake a stick at.

10g too small if you have anything else it there with them. When they have fry/eggs to protect they will make a spirited attempt to kill you, nether mind anything else that can't get out of the way. Dither fish are only required to encourage your kribs out into the open where you can see them.

Not sure that a planted tank with kribs is a good idea. Young kribs come equipped with personal teleporters, you'll never catch the blighters.
Delexboarfoot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 05:19 PM   #8
Colorblizzle
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'm gonna get another 10g with a sponge filter for the fry but I am planning in keeping the adults in the 10g. Don't have room for a larger tank. Don't even have room for the fry tank :/ but that's why I don't feel comfortable with the dithers. Seriously considering maybe 5 celestial pearl danios but not sure yet...
Old 01-28-2013, 05:20 PM   #9
Colorblizzle
Planted Tank Obsessed

Blighters??
Old 01-28-2013, 05:22 PM   #10
Colorblizzle
Planted Tank Obsessed

This is the tank currently. I'm going to add a few more plants
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	75682  

Old 01-28-2013, 05:23 PM   #11
Colorblizzle
Planted Tank Obsessed

And here's a full tank shot
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	75690  

Old 01-28-2013, 07:12 PM   #12
Delexboarfoot
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorblizzle View Post
Blighters??

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/blighters
Delexboarfoot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 07:19 PM   #13
Colorblizzle
Planted Tank Obsessed

I can see how they r called that now being as they are an annoyance to the Kribs. Thanks for the link

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.