Java Fern Advice Needed
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 05-15-2013, 02:12 AM   #1
Smeagol
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Java Fern Advice Needed

A lot of my java fern leaves are turning black and sprouting new plantlets. I know this is normal. The problem is that my tank is pretty crowded, and I don't have any room to plant all the little baby ferns.

However, I would like the ferns that I already have attached to rocks to grow fuller/bushier. What would be the best way to accomplish this?

If I cut out the leaves that are turning black, will new leaves grow from the original rhizome and make the fern bushier? Or should I try to plant the baby plantlets as close to the original rhizome as possible?

I guess my real question is what's the best way to make my java ferns look fuller/bushier? Do I just prune the dying leaves and let the original rhizome grow by itself? Or do I keep adding more baby ferns as close as possible to the original rhizome?
55g: Finnex Planted+ & MonsterRay, Pressurized CO2 w/ Atomic inline diffuser, Eheim 2217, Eco-Complete, EI ferts. Assorted Tetras, Otos, & Nerites. Glosso, Didiplis diandra, Hygrophila corymbosa, Creeping Jenny, Ludwigia repens, Ludwigia glandulosa, Jungle Val, Amazon Sword, Red Melon Sword, Wisteria.

20g high: 2x24w T5ho, DIY CO2 & Excel, 2xAC50, Flourite, miscellaneous ferts.
Otos, Red Wag Platies, Harlequin Rasboras. Marsilea quadrifolia, Jungle Val, Cabomba, Tropica Sword, Water Sprite.
Smeagol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2013, 03:03 AM   #2
norbot
Planted Member

I've been trimming unsightly leaves off my java fern for about 5 months,

It started as a single bitty leaf

Last edited by norbot; 08-09-2013 at 02:49 AM.. Reason: free up pic space
norbot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2013, 03:30 AM   #3
diesalot
Algae Grower

I always trim my java fern and it keeps growing. It seems to like trimming. I use the plantlets to fill in any bald spots.
diesalot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2013, 04:30 AM   #4
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)

I always try to replant the baby plants around the original rhizome. I've done this on a large piece of driftwood and now have java fern packed in and super bushy.
johnson18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2013, 12:53 AM   #5
Smeagol
Planted Tank Obsessed

For example, below are some classic "commercial" pictures of Java Ferns. Notice how full and bushy they are. Are all those leaves from a single rhizome, or from several rhizomes placed close together?

55g: Finnex Planted+ & MonsterRay, Pressurized CO2 w/ Atomic inline diffuser, Eheim 2217, Eco-Complete, EI ferts. Assorted Tetras, Otos, & Nerites. Glosso, Didiplis diandra, Hygrophila corymbosa, Creeping Jenny, Ludwigia repens, Ludwigia glandulosa, Jungle Val, Amazon Sword, Red Melon Sword, Wisteria.

20g high: 2x24w T5ho, DIY CO2 & Excel, 2xAC50, Flourite, miscellaneous ferts.
Otos, Red Wag Platies, Harlequin Rasboras. Marsilea quadrifolia, Jungle Val, Cabomba, Tropica Sword, Water Sprite.
Smeagol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2013, 07:47 PM   #6
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
Default Java Fern Advice Needed

More then likely those are from several rhizomes put together. My 55 gallon has something similar. Not the greatest pic, but I've done this on both pieces of dw which you don't see too much of anymore.

johnson18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2013, 05:16 AM   #7
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

I started this January of 2012. Not sure how many Rhizomes are on it ? I just keep Super Gluing baby plants to it.

DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.