Best Tank for Planted Betta Tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 01-25-2013, 05:15 AM   #1
kj fishy-finn
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Best Tank for Planted Betta Tank

I've been looking around at tanks around 5 gallons to start a planted betta tank. I have a current 5 gallon setup with said betta and snail but the design worries me about ease of care for the plants and the shape making it a good for viewing the mini ecosystem I'd like to try to create.

So basically I'm looking for a tank that is preferably glass (which I'd be willing to overlook if it'll fit my other preferred requirements). I'd also like a tank that is relatively easy to do maintenance on and clean. I'd also prefer for the tank to be pretty simple and the filter/heater/lights be pretty hidden and not cause the tank to look junky when set up. I have several ideas I've found (links below), but sometimes it's hard to be able to tell all of that from pictures. So some advice and pros/cons from people with experience would be much appreciated.

PS is there any advantage to having LED lights over standard lighting?

Anything else I should consider when choosing a tank?

Fluval Spec
Aqueon Evolve 8
Top Fin 5.5
Petco Bookshelf
Ecoxotic EcoPico
kj fishy-finn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2013, 05:31 AM   #2
Virto
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

What do you have now?

I have a planted Marineland Hex 5 and it's perfect for the job. The self-contained light/filter/hood prevent jumpers and as long as you use a fluorescent bulb (old versions came with a terrible 15W incandescent) plant growth is excellent. They are acrylic tanks, however.

I would not use LED, just because a desk lamp with a CFL bulb is a cheaper and effective alternative.

The topfin 5.5 kit you linked would probably be my next option, but don't be surprised if you still need to replace that filter or the light at some point. A 5 gallon glass tank from aqueon or something would be a good choice if you want to pick and choose your own accessories.
Virto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 05:37 AM   #3
kj fishy-finn
Algae Grower

I actually do have the Marineland Hex 5, but I've never been fond of the shape because it distorts what you're looking at. So I thought I'd look into something else which I'd love a lot more. Even though it does fit the bill on everything I'm looking for except being acrylic.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:47 AM   #4
Edub
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Default Best Tank for Planted Betta Tank

Led lights use less electricity and produce less heat than other lighting options. Also, you get a neat "shimmer" effect that other lights (other than metal halide) will not give you. True, they're expensive in the up front costs, but you will probably never have to replace a bulb and you might be able to source a cheap led desk lamp that provides the light you want. I got one for free when the dorms shut down last semester, a student left it there
Edub is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 03:14 PM   #5
tekkguy
Planted Member

I really like my Spec V. One minor mod needs to be done to adjust the flow (at least for me), but it's very simple.
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2013, 04:28 AM   #6
kj fishy-finn
Algae Grower

Is the Fluval Spec easy to clean? Because, unless you can remove the lid, it looks sort of hard to get a siphon in there and be very accessible.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:14 AM   #7
Jsquared
Algae Grower

personally i like the cubes; but the spec has the best filtering. they all need a brighter light really though.
Jsquared is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 07:22 AM   #8
l8nite
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Default Best Tank for Planted Betta Tank

I know you're looking for 5gal but this is a pretty sweet tank: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00804LQA6

Just bought one for myself :O
l8nite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 09:37 PM   #9
kj fishy-finn
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsquared View Post
personally i like the cubes; but the spec has the best filtering. they all need a brighter light really though.
By cubes, do you mean the 2 links I posted of cube tanks? I'm personally leaning towards those as well because they are my favorite and sort of what I had in mind listing out what I wanted looking for a new tank, but no one has really suggested them yet.

The only thing that makes me iffy to commit is the LED lighting. I'm a bit behind when it comes to LED lighting in the hobby so I don't know much it. I don't know how you apply the # watts per gallon rule to LED.

What do you mean by "they all need a brighter light really though"?

Your answers would be much appreciated!
Old 01-28-2013, 02:49 AM   #10
Jsquared
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj fishy-finn View Post
By cubes, do you mean the 2 links I posted of cube tanks? I'm personally leaning towards those as well because they are my favorite and sort of what I had in mind listing out what I wanted looking for a new tank, but no one has really suggested them yet.

The only thing that makes me iffy to commit is the LED lighting. I'm a bit behind when it comes to LED lighting in the hobby so I don't know much it. I don't know how you apply the # watts per gallon rule to LED.

What do you mean by "they all need a brighter light really though"?

Your answers would be much appreciated!
yes, Just cube aquariums in general haha. Out of the two I prefer the EcoPico.

Sorry I suggested to upgrade the lighting on them just because of my own preference lol. I am fond of a lot of high light plants so its just instinct.

Depending on what plants you want I think the stock lighting will be perfect. The single 9w 12k LED strip it comes with is about medium light.

I have seen people grow stauro repens, m. minuta, anacharis, and the betta bulbs with that stock lighting.

If you want to grow high light stuff you may think about upgrading to the 3 led white strips. which is like 50 bucks i think.

Then for the watts per gallon rule I have no idea lol. I think a 9w LED is equal to 70w Incandescent if you think you can go off that.

As a side note the filter for that aquarium is actually really good.

sorry to be so one sided towards the pico. I looked into this aquarium for a while before so I dont really know much about the others or how to compare them. Except that everyone I know who has Fluval Spec enjoys it but they typically end up changing the light.
Jsquared is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 03:15 AM   #11
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

The only thing I would really take into account that hasn't been said is that betta's tend to jump. I have had 2 betta's jump out of a 10 gallon with a standard hood, somehow finding the little bit of room around the heater or filter. I currently have a betta in a rimless, topless tank and I know he will likely never jump but I have have had many jump, the smaller the tank, it seems more likely from my experience.

Outside of that, it's just an issue if you want to go all in one or piece it together.

If you go all in one, I like the Petco bookshelf's dimensions. I have not owned one. The downside is it's plastic, but the upside of that is no silicone seems. You just have to be careful. That would be my choice for an off the shelf tank. The lighting is more than enough due to how short it is, filter should be good but an easy upgrade if you want to improve.

Many people like the Fluval spec V but I personally don't like the aluminum edges, just me. The other issue is the lighting, most replace that so add that to the cost if you aren't trying to do low light.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 03:16 AM   #12
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (57/100%)

you could do better, cheaper.
buy a 5/5.5 gallon all glass or aqueon aquarium, a red sea nano filter or azoo palm filter, and a simple desk light. you can cut a piece of plexiglass and drill some holes to make a clear, cheap lid.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:27 AM   #13
kj fishy-finn
Algae Grower

Wow, all of those are excellent suggestions.
Out of the cube tanks I listed I probably do like the EcoPico the best so that's good to know that one. If the lighting is about med light then, in theory, I could get away with a few more choices on plants than low light plants with adding CO2, correct? That would be ideal to get away with that and be able to do more than low light plants without CO2 since I don't want something that intensive.

The Fluval Spec is a really neat tank but something about the shape and design doesn't quite have me sold on it yet. The aluminum strips are a bit weird looking, I agree.

I'm also very aware that bettas jump as I've had personal experience with finding one behind a desk that jumped out of a bowl. I've had quite a few bettas over the last 10 years and that was the only one I ever had jump. As suggested I could probably very easily build my own lid from stuff at Home Depot etc.

And then there is considering just buying everything separate and building everything to my liking. I've sort of looked into that, but not as much yet. I was just starting to go through some of the threads under Nano Tanks, looking at pictures and skimming through the comments paying attention to notes about the tank.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:33 AM   #14
golfer_d
Planted Member

I didn't read everything and I am not too sure about betta's as I have never had one but I have an Evolve 8 and it has some pretty good flow coming out of the nozzle....if I am not mistaken, betta's don't want much of a current?

You would need to modify that flow rate.
golfer_d is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 06:48 AM   #15
kj fishy-finn
Algae Grower

You'd be correct. Good to know about the Evolve 8.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.