48 x 18 x 18 High Tech Rimless Build (photo heavy) - Page 6
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 02-24-2013, 10:07 PM   #76
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (0/0%)

IF I can make these all fit, this is what I want for the LED array.

GDominy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2013, 10:23 PM   #77
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

And with the simu spots, this is the goal...

Old 02-25-2013, 04:02 AM   #78
blink
Planted Tank Enthusiast

My wife walked past and grumbled about being able to spot a reefer's tank journal at 20 paces...
Probably would have been able to pick it out from further away but our house isn't that big.

Nice journal and good re-use of equipment!
blink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 04:06 AM   #79
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

Thats hilarious.. lol

This build is almost entirely all re-used equipment. This will be the 6th tank that my profilux has run, and the third tank for these LED's. I used to sell them so I've collected more then my fair share of parts that have been re-purposed.

Thanks for the kind words :-)
Old 02-26-2013, 03:20 AM   #80
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

Another day, another part of the build. Today was the start of the suspended canopy. I actually made way more progress then I was expecting.

I assembled the canopy frame, painted it, and attached the acrylic shield under the bottom. I'm a little nervous about the strength of the acrylic however, so I may install some strapping to prevent bowing in the middle. Overall it went pretty smoothly.

Here is the semi-finished product:

As you can see, I managed to cram all of my LED arrays in there after all. I managed to get the simu spots in there as well, so I have everything I wanted in here.

There are 11 Cooling fans for the LED's. More fans, running at lower RPM is actually quieter then higher speed fans. These are pretty quiet considering.

I've used terminal strips to attach all of the wiring connections. The red and Black wires are the fan power, and white and black wires are the LED's. This will allow me to detach the LED's from the drivers relatively easily if I have to do any maintenance. The drivers and fan power supplies are not connected in this image, they will mount to the upper terminal positions.

Profilux Touch mounted on the front right side, ready for action and displaying tank stats.

Last edited by GDominy; 02-26-2013 at 05:38 AM.. Reason: spelling.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:29 AM   #81
TheRiverRat
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

This is intense hahah, are you an engineer?
Old 02-26-2013, 06:39 AM   #82
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRiverRat View Post
This is intense hahah, are you an engineer?
Lol no. Long time in the hobby, ex-technical analyst, former reef store manager, avid diy'er and I'm an installer for professional/commercial audio and video systems nowadays.

Just a huge geek really, this hobby is a combination of many of my interests.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:33 AM   #83
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkookm View Post
I didn't see the before condition, but I'm gonna assume it cleaned up nicely since I've seen what Coralline can do.

When in use the the MP10 stays on the glass with no issues?
The "before" condition was completely encrusted almost totally seized. It was screaming like a banshee when fired up.

The Mp10 isnt designed for glass thicker then 3/8ths but you can make it work on 1/2 if your dry side is secured to the side of the tank. I use the stick on zip tie pads on the cord so the motor assembly is supported by the cord. In extreme cases I have used a drop of crazy glue to tack it to the glass (still supported by the cord).
Old 02-27-2013, 05:00 AM   #84
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

Another busy night! I started by mounting some of the "brain" of the system. I re-purposed an old shelf that used to hold up a tv to become the stands electronics cubby. It also holds the CO2 bottle. I had some scrap plywood that just happened to fit, so it became the Profilux shelf.

The left side of this box will have all of the AC power and switched outlets for the equipment. Inside the shelf you can see the Profilux PWM LED controllers below the Meanwell ELN-60-48P's.

In the rear you can see the Vortech pump controller, and the two fan controllers. I don't have extra terminal strips to attach the fan leads to yet, so they are just coiled up for the moment.

The Right side houses all of the 0-10V LED drivers and the control boards for them. This side of the shelf will be burried against the wall of the stand. There will be a pair of terminal strips that all of the fan connections, and LED drivers will connect to. This will be the wiring point that will connect to the lights.

Still have some painting to do on the shelf to clean it up a bit, but I'm not overly concerned as this will be hidden in the stand.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:17 AM   #85
Big O
Raider for life

PTrader: (34/100%)
Thumbs up Wow!

WTF, are you building a tank or a freak'n robot!
Just jealous.

P.S. very cool,

big o
Big O is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2013, 05:27 AM   #86
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

Ha! The local fish club in my area has dubbed my tank(s) "The robotank"

This is actually not the most complicated tank Ive built, but is hands down the most tech heavy planted setup ive put together.

I still havent even started to build the raspberry pi and arduino modules yet (they are going to be part of the thunderstorm audio)... They probably wont be integrated until after the tank is running.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:31 AM   #87
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

These are going to be fun to build in... Arduino Uno on the left, Raspberry Pi on the right

Old 02-27-2013, 06:44 AM   #88
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

Im thinking I might include a "kill switch" that can be used to turn off the pump, filter, heater etc during water changes or emergencies. Something like this:

This switch would be wired to the adin module in the profilux. I will have to combine some programmable logic with it but I think it will work.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:04 AM   #89
CL
C-A-T-S

PTrader: (79/100%)

Arduino microcontrollers are fun. Were starting to get to play with them/ program some in my circuits labs. Lot's of possibilities
Old 02-27-2013, 07:21 AM   #90
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

Im hoping to use the arduino to monitor the status of a relay so when it triggers it can send a play command to the rpi to play an mp3/wav file. It would be sweet if it could monitor the length of the trigger and choose what file to play.

The profilux can turn a socket on as a function of thunder so after every lightning flash thunder occurs. I ghetto rigged something previously where I had a playlist of thunder mp3s playing on a computer and the thunder socket would turn speakers on and off. Id prefer to do something more complex.

Ideally when "thunderstorm" starts the rpi and speakers fire up and queues its list of mp3s. The arduio just monitors the length of thunder event and directs the rpi to play the file closest to its timeframe. May not even be possible but id like to try. I already own them both.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.