48 x 18 x 18 High Tech Rimless Build (photo heavy) - Page 18
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 09-30-2013, 06:31 AM   #256
lamiskool
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

Glad to see this thing back up and running, one of my favorites

Old 10-11-2013, 02:59 AM   #257
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (0/0%)

Im starting to regret having scarlet hygro in here. This plant was originally added as a nutrient sponge while I was balancing out the automatic dosing, but it is taking over. I am pruning out about a cubic foot every week.

Progress is starting to improve.

GDominy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2013, 02:12 PM   #258
Phil Edwards
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Looking good Gareth. Better to be taking out cubic feet of Hygro than cubic feet of algae, eh?
Phil Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2013, 08:18 PM   #259
c_gwinner
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (19/100%)

Just read this entire build and still blown away. The only thing is I never saw a complete shot of how you got everything really to fit under the stand. Did you get a new regulator for your CO2 or build a dual stage one? Very stunning tank and nothing bad I can say about any of it haha

Canon Pimp Club #094
c_gwinner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2013, 10:36 PM   #260
Young
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Amazing tank!! What is the high plant in the back left corner, and how are the rams getting along with the gold barbs? The colors with the barbs and cardinals are perfect and I would love to emulate it in my 40 gallon, but I'm not sure its big enough to reduce the aggression the bards are suppose to have.
Young is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2013, 01:15 AM   #261
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_gwinner View Post
Just read this entire build and still blown away. The only thing is I never saw a complete shot of how you got everything really to fit under the stand. Did you get a new regulator for your CO2 or build a dual stage one? Very stunning tank and nothing bad I can say about any of it haha
Im still running the crappy regulator but am planning on picking up a good dual stage unit in the next month or so. I grabbed a nice co2 atomizer recently but I cant run it until I have a regulator that can push 40psi to it.
Old 10-12-2013, 01:17 AM   #262
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young View Post
Amazing tank!! What is the high plant in the back left corner, and how are the rams getting along with the gold barbs? The colors with the barbs and cardinals are perfect and I would love to emulate it in my 40 gallon, but I'm not sure its big enough to reduce the aggression the bards are suppose to have.
Back left corner is hygro siamensis.

The gold barbs are not really aggressive at all honestly. They are not nearly as aggressive as most barbs and are pretty mellow. They are very active but they dont nip other fish at all.

However, they are voracious shrimp eaters. I added 40 crystal reds and they devoured them in about 15 minutes.
Old 10-12-2013, 01:36 AM   #263
Idrankwhat
Planted Member

sweet tank. Any regrets going so high tech or is it just what the doctor ordered?
Idrankwhat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2013, 02:25 AM   #264
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idrankwhat View Post
sweet tank. Any regrets going so high tech or is it just what the doctor ordered?
Nothing to regret. I already owned all of this stuff so it was going to be wasted if I didnt use it. The amount of loss I would take on selling it was too great so I'd rather use it :-)

The tank is pretty much low maintenance. I change about 25-30 Gallons of water a week and feed my fish every day, with monthly filter cleaning. The rest just happens in the background.
Old 10-12-2013, 05:52 PM   #265
Idrankwhat
Planted Member

gotta love it when a hobby is more pleasure and appreciation than work. Good luck.
Old 10-17-2013, 02:33 AM   #266
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

So I decided to make some changes to the lighting.

The middle LED pendant has bugged me ever since I installed it. It was a 50/50 combo string of Royal Blue and Cool white LED's so I could not control the colours independently. It was also excessive, the extra 6 Cool white LED's don't amount to much when I have 48 more of them covering the rest of the tank. I have now removed this unit, and added 2 x HOT5 bulbs. I already had a ballast for 2 bulbs kicking around so this was a 10 minute mod. Simply wired in the bulbs and ballast and voila:

The bulbs korallen zucht Fiji Pink bulbs. I didnt need much in the way of "white" light as the LED's provide tons. What I did want, was a higher contrast light to warm up the rather sterile look of the LED's. These bulbs are pretty high in red and blue so they give off a purple look, but they really make reds and blues pop in the tank (hard to photograph, but look much better in person). I will be adding some snap on reflectors later, there were simply werent any at the fish store today. I'll be ordering a set online.

I'm still trying to figure out how to best balance for my camera settings to accurately display the tanks colour. The pictures look terrible by comparison (the weird colours I am cranking out with this light are difficult to take a decent picture of)
Old 10-17-2013, 04:07 PM   #267
Idrankwhat
Planted Member

Nice your cardinals look like the lights are on inside of them.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:16 AM   #268
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

Cardinals definitely pop under the new light... did some minor pruning..

Old 10-18-2013, 07:30 AM   #269
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

Im about to begin my next wave of tank improvements. Things have been running well but I know what needs to happen.

First big change will be filtration. I have a 14 gallon tank that will be converted into a working sump/refugium on a reverse night cycle. The first chamber will be filter media, the secong will be a fuge. Im going to use this area for moss under another led fixture. I will probably throw some scuds in here to eat detritus and excess moss. I also want to place my heater, probes, and dosing tubes in here to clean up the visible parts of the tank.

Second will be a new co2 regulator. This one just isnt cutting it any more and I need one that can push 40psi.

Third will be an auto top resevoir. I already have optical sensors for the top off resevoir snd the sump that the profilux will use for the process. The idea for this is to allow the sump to run for one week without needing manual refilling due to evaporation.

Lots to come in the next month or so. I already have most of what I need, I just need to pull it out of storage.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:34 AM   #270
Bowles42
Planted Member

PTrader: (40/100%)

Nice looking setup and scape. You've used the space really well, and everything looks healthy and top notch. An auto top reservoir sounds like a great idea. I wish I had the space for one. Since moving to CA all my water evaporates so quickly!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.