48 x 18 x 18 High Tech Rimless Build (photo heavy) - Page 10
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 03-08-2013, 11:45 PM   #136
madness
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

Compared to 'typical' DIY LED rigs what makes this one capable of lightning effects?

Are the dimmable drivers what allow the rapid on/off of the LEDs?

Does the profilux provide the programming and the light control portion of the lightning effects?

Last edited by madness; 03-09-2013 at 12:20 AM.. Reason: edit
madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2013, 11:48 PM   #137
antbug
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDominy View Post
I have, but its a rented appartment. Its easy to hide holes in a textured ceiling with some spackle, but holes in drywall are a little more tricky :-)
hahaha all these skills and you're worried about drywall holes. Sorry this made me LOL.

antbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:50 AM   #138
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by madness View Post
Compared to 'typical' DIY LED rigs what makes this one capable of lightning effects?

Are the dimmable drivers what allow the rapid on/off of the LEDs?

Does the profilux provide the programming and the light control portion of the lightning effects?
The lightning effects are generated by the profilux. In order to make them work with my DIY rig I had to do a few things.

First off, I used two LEDControl4 modules for the profilux which were originally designed to be used with PacificSun LED fixtures.

The modules were designed to use an open collector PWM signal.

The idea behind these modules is that they take the analog 0-10V signal, and take the digital signal usually provided to the Simu Spots/bars by GHL and combine it into a PWM signal for the lamps to use.

I then added the Meanwell PWM drivers.

The Meanwell drivers are PWM, but they are not open-collector PWM, they use a 10V powered PWM signal.

The solution to this was to build a pull up resistor circuit. Thankfully GHL provided a small diagram that got me started:

I built my circuit using an external 10V power supply and a resistor as per the diagram. Worked like a charm!

Typical 0-10V dimmable drivers do not allow for the rapid flash of lightning as they have a ramp up/down that takes a few milliseconds. They simply aren't fast enough. PWM does allow for this however.

In short, the Profilux does the signal generation for the lightning, my DIY rig is simply listening to the signals and providing the output as required.
GDominy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:53 AM   #139
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by antbug View Post
hahaha all these skills and you're worried about drywall holes. Sorry this made me LOL.
lol I know its silly, but I did want this rig to be reasonably modular so it can be easily taken apart and moved in the future. I have no idea if the wall the tank is against has plumbing in it, or electrical so I didn't bother. If this were a job I was doing for work (or a house I owned) I would have bashed a hole in the wall and fished my wires through no problem.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:38 AM   #140
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

Oh flourite, how I love and despise you at the same time...

I was filling the tank on saran wrap and it was going perfectly, no murk, then the cling wrap lifted and I stirred up a huge swath of flourite. Have to wait a few days before doing much. No filter yet, just water circulation with the Vortech while it dechlorinates and settles.

Going to pick up some ammonia and begin a fishless cycle in the next few days (obviously will just be the beginning without a filter, but I'm going to throw some bio-media in the tank with a powerhead to get it started)
Old 03-09-2013, 03:08 AM   #141
SouthernCichlids
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (26/100%)

Quote:
Oh flourite, how I love and despise you at the same time...
I feel your pain haha. I don't know about you, but flourite deters me from lots of re-scapes. That and crypt melt.
SouthernCichlids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:22 AM   #142
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

Ive found that once flourite has had a chance to settle its not too bad. Serious rescaping will cause clouding still but not too bad. I still prefer flourite when Im chemically dosing a high light tank though, I find it easier to balance my nutients when Im running a substrate with a low organic content.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:29 AM   #143
SouthernCichlids
Planted Tank Obsessed

I agree, definitely makes pinpoint dosing much easier.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:33 AM   #144
antbug
Wannabe Guru

Default 48 x 18 x 18 High Tech Rimless Build (photo heavy)

Quote:
lol I know its silly, but I did want this rig to be reasonably modular so it can be easily taken apart and moved in the future. I have no idea if the wall the tank is against has plumbing in it, or electrical so I didn't bother. If this were a job I was doing for work (or a house I owned) I would have bashed a hole in the wall and fished my wires through no problem.
Oh, I have not doubt that you would, and you would do an amazing job. I, like most of us, have been getting crazy ideas watching this thread. Love what you've done so far and I'm looking forward to your updates.

Now, how are your aquascaping skills?

Old 03-09-2013, 03:51 AM   #145
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

My aquascaping skills are unrefined and it has been several years since Ive done a planted tank. I tend to let things go wild, so who knows.

This was my last planted tank, it was run by the same profilux that is running this tank:

Here is a 45 gallon terrarium I did...

Old 03-09-2013, 04:00 AM   #146
antbug
Wannabe Guru

Default 48 x 18 x 18 High Tech Rimless Build (photo heavy)

Quote:
My aquascaping skills are unrefined and it has been several years since Ive done a planted tank. I tend to let things go wild, so who knows.

This was my last planted tank, it was run by the same profilux that is running this tank:

Why would you ever take this tank down? Very nice!

Old 03-09-2013, 04:07 AM   #147
SouthernCichlids
Planted Tank Obsessed

That discus tank is extremely impressive, do you remember the dimensions on that monster?
Old 03-09-2013, 04:07 AM   #148
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

I moved in with a girl with saltwater aquariums. We bought a 135 and combined our reef tanks. I had to retire this tank to make room. That was several years ago and a few tanks ago. My current apartment is modestly sized so this new tank is pretty much the perfect size for the space.

Im kind of pushing my limits for what I can get away with size wise as it is or I would have done this tank up at 6 feet long instead of only four.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:21 AM   #149
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

Oops duplicate post. Disregard.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:59 PM   #150
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

So I figured while I wait for the tank to clear (which is happening considerably faster then I would have expected) I'd show the space its in. We live in a 1000 square foot apartment so space is sort of at a premium. This tank fit perfectly in an area between our dining room and living room space.

When you first enter our place, and turn right down the main hallway to the living space you see this:

Living Room:

Dining Room (mind the clothes, its laundry day):