help: how to upgrade my lighting
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 10-26-2005, 04:54 PM   #1
MiSo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)

help: how to upgrade my lighting

currently i have a 48' AGA twin tube hood with a Flora-Glo (2800k)and a Life-Glo bulb (6700k). they are 40 watts each. this is a big improvement i had previously over my 55 gallon which was a house lamp.

whats the easiest way to get the most light out of this hood.
i've been reading about odno and it seems pretty interesting, though i dont fully understand how to exactly do it.
i've also read about retrofit kits but dont know which ones are best.

what are some affordable solutions i can do to get more light into the aquarium?
MiSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2005, 05:58 PM   #2
jgc
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

everyone seems to praise ahsupply retro's. course there is the question if it will fit in your strip (and a heat issue even if it does). CF plus a good reflector is a lot of light.

odno is a do at your own risk project - there is plenty of documentation on it. first hand experiance is that even 2x is amazing (even without upgrading the reflector - I can only imagine how much better it would be with a good reflector) - but it also will run much warmer than normal t12's - but so do cf retro's.

I have two twin light strips on my tank one no, and one odno. If I can not get my hqi back up, I will probably tinker something for more light - either a second odno - or better reflectors on the current one.
58 gallon oceanic, 250w 10k pendent, pressurized co2, eheim pimp #179 - 2217 and diffuser
jgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 07:00 AM   #3
MiSo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)

do you have a link to a good step by step process on how to overdrive.

pix would help alot.
MiSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 12:12 PM   #4
jgc
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Search ONDO for back threads, there is one that is probably over 15 pages long with tons of details. You can also search ODNO on the web, but it takes more effort - will post a link to a good one I found tonight, but it is not on this computer.

Ok, ninja post here. Go to the lighting forum - look at the stickies. One is for ODNO output, open it and the second line has a link to a good ODNO thread.
58 gallon oceanic, 250w 10k pendent, pressurized co2, eheim pimp #179 - 2217 and diffuser
jgc is offline   Reply With Quote