60 Gallon build (first planted tank) Pictures, lots.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 11-07-2013, 04:10 AM   #1
Nikk
Algae Grower

PTrader: (12/100%)

60 Gallon build (first planted tank) Pictures, lots.

The very first day filled on July 30th, 2013. Super excited, treated myself to an early birthday present. This is my first planted tank, and I've made plenty of mistakes but learned a lot in these past three months, it's crazy I never thought I'd get this intertwined in this whole hobby! So much fun and such an addiction. Anyway, back to the tank:

Filled on July 30th, 2013. Eco complete, Fluval/Aquaclear HOB 70, lights supplied with the 60 gallon. 24 inch high 48 long and 13 inches wide! pic from 8/2

Okay so this was on the 2nd of August, there was a lot of cloudiness which at the time I had no idea what was going on, but it was a bacteria bloom and the substrate "dust" I put my strongest molly in there and he pulled through surprisingly to "cycle" the giant tank...-___- This pic is from 8/4 cloudiness went away..

So I added more plants and got a night shot..

Put my bala shark in because he was in a tiny tank, risky since it wasn't cycled, pulled through strongly though. Fixture added from Petsmart *rolls eyes*

I'll start putting the pics in higher quality now, this was after the background application, much sleeker look. Gave away the bala and got more mollies to keep the fish count up to cycle. Aug. 17

Well I made my first mistake and bought too many fish for an uncycled tank, only one of the guaramis made it and he is still with me today looking great but here is Aug. 19

Added more plants 8/23

Update 9/1 attempted to mount anubias, turned off the bubbles

Got super busy and took a break from modding the tank for like 3 weeks. This pic is from the 9/26 got new plants and driftwood

This is from 10/4 I had put in a circulation pump the 1200 and it was way too strong but I figured that out later...dwarf hair and red lud I believe

progress pic from 10/15 put some almond leaves for the hell of it, I was excited the lily pad things (still have no idea what they are called) were hitting the surface...I think this is when I had Angels too, which means there were a bunch of shrimp added...second HOB added, btw I don't inject co2 yet, once I do then I'll move into the canister world..Also new T5HO lighting

SO this is when I got an insane good deal from a new found friend, roughly 50 cents a plant so I picked up a bunch (I have two other tanks ready to go so I temp. planted all the plants in my 60 for transplant later once the planted plus comes out) so I jumped up in plant volume massively! my other tanks will adopt some but I actually like this look...

This is from 11/4, just a progress pic...background peeling off -__-

And this is the painted background, I used acrylic paint so I dont have to deal with peeling backgrounds. This is the tank as of today, a lot of the DHG was pulled up by the guorami and it is floating at the top, same with a jungle val, took the hortwort out of the substrate as I discovered it is a floating plant...

I just picked up another 60 gallon today so I want to do a discus tank with C02 injection and canister filter etc. do it right for the show tank, the new 60 gal is much better for showing dimensions wise, much deeper..I have two 10s that will be heavily planted and 1 quarantine tank both for shrimp breeding...as of today I have 8 rainbow praecox, 1 dwarf guarami, 5 baby angels, 5 silver tip tetras, few rummynose, 2 ottos, 4 amanos and a leopard ctenopma that had to be put alone, eating a bunch of other fish... and a bunch of CRS. No Co2, T5ho dual fixture, excel dose daily, fert twice a week, no algae! (yet, knock on wood) was doing diy co2 but not worth it. Thanks for looking!!!
Nikk is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2014, 03:13 AM   #2
Nikk
Algae Grower

So it's been a few months and this tank has progressed nicely. I did a rescape to reduce the clutter of plants. I just got a 10 pound CO2 tank and the Atomic V3 and diffuser to go along with it. New Finnex Ray2 as well. Along with an upcoming EI dosing regimen. So the tank should be completely transformed in a few weeks. Here is the tank as of tonight.

Old 04-06-2014, 06:11 PM   #3
Nikk
Algae Grower

Update as of 04/04/2014

Funny to see how far things have progressed
Old 04-06-2014, 10:13 PM   #4
Saverio
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

holy smokes that's some serious growth! well done =)