Baking Soda Effects
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 01-28-2013, 11:03 PM   #1
2Shi
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Baking Soda Effects

I added baking soda to increase my KH. Will my KH stay the same until my next water change? Or will it slowly go down? If it slowly goes down, how fast does that happen? Will I have to add baking soda every day?

Note: pH is under control. That's not my concern.
2Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2013, 11:12 PM   #2
Stinkypinky12
Algae Grower

wish i knew more about this. Where did you hear about this technique? I would like to know more about it.
Stinkypinky12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:19 PM   #3
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Do you have active substrate?

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
GeToChKn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:21 PM   #4
pastert33
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)

This is only the 2nd time I've heard about this. My father in law told me about this, only to decrease ammonia. He had been keeping fish for over 30 years but passed away last year. I miss him and his "old techniques".
pastert33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:25 PM   #5
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

Never heard of it to decrease ammonia. It's to increase the carbonate amount in the water, to increase kH, which helps with more stable pH and some critters need a higher kH. Can't see any chemical way it would reduce ammonia. If anything, it would increase the toxicity of ammonia as the kH will increase, probably increase the pH along the way, therefore making ammonia more toxic in higher pH.

OP, why are you messing with it in the first place? Most critters will do fine in a wide variety of water and stability is the key over messing with things.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
Old 01-28-2013, 11:36 PM   #6
2Shi
Algae Grower

My tap water is extremely soft (1 dKH). I am increasing the hardness so that I can properly maintain co2 levels of about 15mg/L. more info on the technique here. http://aquaticconcepts.thekrib.com/Co2/co2_faq.htm#T00
Old 01-28-2013, 11:43 PM   #7
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Shi View Post
My tap water is extremely soft (1 dKH). I am increasing the hardness so that I can properly maintain co2 levels of about 15mg/L. more info on the technique here. http://aquaticconcepts.thekrib.com/Co2/co2_faq.htm#T00
Ok, no buffering soil like aquasoil or anything? It should stay fairly steady then and make sure to dose the amount into your water change jugs or whatever to to keep the dH at the level you want it set at.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
Old 01-29-2013, 12:18 AM   #8
2Shi
Algae Grower

I'm sorry, I ignored your question for some reason. Brain fart I guess lol. I do not have active substrate.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:35 AM   #9
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

It should stay, and if you top off, only top off with RO, or in your case, your tap water should be enough. lol. Then when you water change, make your 5 gal jug or whatever you use to the same kH as the tank and you should be good. It gets disolved in the water and doesn't really come out.

If you don't change or top off water for a while, then adjust your kH water accordingly.

Say you don't do much to your tanks for 2 weeks and in 2 weeks, 10% of your water has evaporated. Then your water will be 10% roughly higher in kH, that's why top off's are important, usually with RO if possible. It keeps all the minerals in the water the same.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
Old 01-29-2013, 02:06 AM   #10
Wolf19
Planted Member

Once you include it in the system it should maintain the kH that you desire - BUT I would watch your pH. Baking soda is sodium bicarbonate NaHCO3. The OH- in this will naturally increase your pH.

What is your current pH?
Wolf19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:28 AM   #11
2Shi
Algae Grower

I fill my tank directly from the tap. I don't fill buckets. Is there any way I can handle the KH when filling directly to the tank?

My pH is 7.0. I raise co2 levels to lower the pH.