The Planted Tank Forum banner

Heteranthera zosterifolia and Blyxa japonica in low tech and low light

6K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  sssnel 
#1 ·
Will it work?

Currently running 3 cfl dome 13W lights 10 inches from the rim on a 29gallon.

#3 ·
I don't think Blyxa japonica will grow well, if at all, in a low-light, low-tech aquarium. But, the "star grass" might do ok. I only grew both of them in a high light, with CO2 tank. The star grass was a weedy pest, suggesting it could make it ok with less light, while the Blyxa grew very well, but seemed to need the high light and CO2 to do it.

#7 ·
Blyxa was a no-go in all of my no-tech, low light planted vases, but I've got one remnant going strong in my 37g low-tech/medium light setup. Might be coincidence on the timing, but it was melting with no growth in the tank while in the mixed fluorite/gravel section, but rebounded and started putting out healthy green leaves and significant root growth when I moved it over to a newly added sand section (tank has sections of sand on the far right/left with fluorite/gravel along the back and filling the middle section).

Stargrass grows well in my no-tech planted vases in the higher ranges of low-light --but shows a very rangy growth pattern with thin leaves and long stem sections between leaf nodes. A very different plant than under high light/c02 conditions. Still useful--but very different.

#12 ·
I have both and they do well. The blyxa is in a small Spec. It is lush and beautiful I only do root tabs in there. The Spec is small so there are only 3 plants in it.
Stargrass has done extremely well for me in my 40B. I keep it cut to about 5 inches and it is a beautiful hedge. The 40B is dirted. I think the worst part for me is how easy the stems break when you mess with them.
I say they are worth a try.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.