It boils down to two options: 6.6g Bookshelf or 12" Cube.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

View Poll Results: Which would you pick?
6.6 Gallon Petco Bookshelf Tank 8 44.44%
12"/7.2 Gallon Deep Blue Professional Cube 10 55.56%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-24-2013, 05:21 PM   #1
Silmarwen
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

It boils down to two options: 6.6g Bookshelf or 12" Cube.

It's getting about that time again--everything is going pretty well in the world of Silmarwen's Fish Tanks--and I'm itching to get another new one. At this point, I really have two things I'm looking the most seriously at:
  • 6.6 Gallon Petco "Bookshelf Aquarium"
  • 7.2 Gallon 12" rimless cube from Deep Blue Professional

Lighting would be--on either--a jury-rigged desk-lamp-and-CFLs apparatus, and I'd likely use a basic play sand as the substrate, with root tabs all around (as those have been working out for my ten gallon.)

Fauna stocking options include:
  • Another betta (maybe a plakat male)
  • A dwarf puffer (See so many of these lately--SO CUTE.)
  • Shrimp of yet-to-be-determined varieties
  • Chili rasboras, least killifish, or endlers livebearers (all male) (if I can figure out where to get a hold of them.)

Flora thoughts include:
  • Moss tank (for shrimpies~)
  • The usual low-light suspects (for everyone else)

I'm considering doing CO2, but I'm not yet sure whether I want to add that expense/dimension of planning to my setup at this point. I'm working on the "KISS" method for now (Keep It Simple, Stupid), so unless someone gives me a fantastic reason to do CO2, I'll pass for now.

I realize that a lot of it is personal opinion, but I think I like both ideas equally, so I leave it to you to sway my opinion on this! Cost for both tanks will be about the same, though the cube would involve getting (most likely) a sponge filter, which I've already got an air pump to run. The differences in price will come from flora and fauna, but that won't be for a few months after the tanks are actually acquired anyway, so I think it's slightly moot.

10g "Community" of nothing but Danios - 2g (barely) planted Betta - 2.5g Betta - 1g Pond Snail Repository

My aquascape style tends towards 'tall in the back, short in the front, lots and lots of green and stuff. And maybe a rock somewhere...'
Silmarwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2013, 05:32 PM   #2
Virto
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

I prefer the bookshelf units, just because I don't have anywhere in the house to put a cube where it would look as stylish and neat as it's supposed to.

I'm also a big fan of another betta - might be a good chance to get a super showy male from aquabid or something. There are a few breeders at bettafish.com that sell both on the forum there and on aquabid.

I see no issue with sand and root tabs.

I don't like livebearing fish - too much effort to keep up with all the potential fry.
Virto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:39 PM   #3
Aqualady
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

+1 on the bookshelf...I am looking into the same one for my nook bar
Aqualady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:43 PM   #4
steven p
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I vote cube...
Old 01-24-2013, 05:45 PM   #5
Silmarwen
Planted Tank Obsessed

I agree about the livebearing fish being hard to keep up with--but I figured if I got all males I'd be alright.

That's my other concern about the cube--I have nowhere to properly display it! But I will eventually, and I don't want to miss out on this potentially beautiful cube because it won't be perfectly shown-off right now, you know?

I'd love a beautiful showy betta, but halfmoon right now is coming off of a battle with fin-rot, so I would be wary of anything with a lot of finnage. There are a ton of beautiful plakats out there, whose fins aren't exceptionally cumbersome.

So far it's 2 bookshelf, 1 cube. Can you add a poll after posting?? haha~

10g "Community" of nothing but Danios - 2g (barely) planted Betta - 2.5g Betta - 1g Pond Snail Repository

My aquascape style tends towards 'tall in the back, short in the front, lots and lots of green and stuff. And maybe a rock somewhere...'
Old 01-24-2013, 05:51 PM   #6
ramen lover
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

isn't the petco one acrylic? i'd be too paranoid about scratching it up if it is. i have a 55g by Deep Blue and the quality of it is pretty darn nice. I would go for the rimless cube. plus i think a desk lamp would would better on the cube over the petco bookshelf one
ramen lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:54 PM   #7
Silmarwen
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramen lover View Post
isn't the petco one acrylic? i'd be too paranoid about scratching it up if it is. i have a 55g by Deep Blue and the quality of it is pretty darn nice. I would go for the rimless cube. plus i think a desk lamp would would better on the cube over the petco bookshelf one
I'd swap out the lighting for desk lamps on the petco--mostly I'd be getting it for the footprint and dimensions, since I can't afford one of those spectacular 12 gallon longs, and the three-gallon long is too small to keep much in, unless I want to go with just shrimp.

Which I suppose is also a possibility...

Overall, I'm not concerned at this time about acrylic v. glass on my nanos--I'm more concerned with shape and overall aesthetic. I am hypervigilant about scratches anyway, so the fact that acrylic scratches more easily is negligible.

Edit: Added a poll! I'm so smrt.

Last edited by Silmarwen; 01-24-2013 at 05:56 PM.. Reason: Poll!
Old 01-24-2013, 06:01 PM   #8
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

cube
Old 01-24-2013, 06:53 PM   #9
ramen lover
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

voted cube, but either way both choices seem great
ramen lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:56 PM   #10
Silmarwen
Planted Tank Obsessed

Haha, thanks! I've sat down and started seriously sketching out ideas for each tank, possible layouts, where each would go in my room, etc... The planning stages are as fun as the actual physical processes, I think

Old 01-24-2013, 07:02 PM   #11
Betta Maniac
Wanabe BKK Herder

PTrader: (17/100%)

Having owned several Bookshelf tanks, I have to say never again. The d@mn things keep leaking.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:06 PM   #12
Silmarwen
Planted Tank Obsessed

Do they? My dad's has been fine, it seems, and I've seen others on the forum with them. It might a hit-or-miss sort of deal, I guess?

Old 01-24-2013, 07:27 PM   #13
wendyjo
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

I have 2 bookshelf tanks and neither one had leaked. But they really do scratch easily and good luck finding one that isn't already scratched in the box. They also have a pretty large open are in the back that will need to be closed off somehow if you get a betta.
wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:56 PM   #14
dougolasjr
Invert Addict

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to dougolasjr

I would skip the bookshelf tank. It scratches quite easily.
dougolasjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:58 PM   #15
Silmarwen
Planted Tank Obsessed

Is there another option with similar dimensions to the 6.6g? There seem to be a lot of people saying things against the bookshelf one.