WTB/input needed on UG
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Hawaii

Old 06-04-2013, 03:38 AM   #1
Ohmy330
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

WTB/input needed on UG

Hey all.
I finally started setting up my ADA 60P and wanted to carpet the tank. It's a toss up between HC or UG. I haven't decided yet.
I've been reading up on UG and wanted to know if anyone has any tips/pointers for me and if anyone has some for sale.
Thanks!
Ohmy330 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2013, 08:32 AM   #2
daboss808
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

I would stay away from it. Besides I really don't think anyone on this island can get it. If your thinking on doing another tank with and inverts the plants is labeled as a carnivorous plant. It has trapping devices that can kill shrimp. Shrimp carry good of amount of nitrogen that is a main reason why most planted invert keepers don't add nitrogen as a nutrient to their tanks.

If you can get your hand on HM then I would go with that. HM is a little bigger and grow a lot faster.
daboss808 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2013, 08:49 PM   #3
not_sponsored
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)

I've grown UG and HC, both tend to float up after a while once it gets too thick... I'm growing lilaeopsis mini now and it is awesome, grows slowly and stays pretty short, also roots well and I haven't had a problem with it floating off and it is pretty thick.
not_sponsored is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2013, 09:03 PM   #4
assasin6547
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daboss808 View Post
I would stay away from it. Besides I really don't think anyone on this island can get it. If your thinking on doing another tank with and inverts the plants is labeled as a carnivorous plant. It has trapping devices that can kill shrimp. Shrimp carry good of amount of nitrogen that is a main reason why most planted invert keepers don't add nitrogen as a nutrient to their tanks.

If you can get your hand on HM then I would go with that. HM is a little bigger and grow a lot faster.
I'm not so sure it can kill shrimp, maybe smaller crustaceans, besides, the OP never said he wanted to keep shrimp. I would suggest DSM.

However I'm unsure if it can get shipped to Hawaii.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:44 AM   #5
daboss808
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by assasin6547 View Post
I'm not so sure it can kill shrimp, maybe smaller crustaceans, besides, the OP never said he wanted to keep shrimp. I would suggest DSM.

However I'm unsure if it can get shipped to Hawaii.
Let me clarify. Shrimplets..... They will kill shrimplets. I had ug and my inverts couldn't reproduce fast enough to keep up with the ug. Inverts contain high nitrogen levels which attracts the ug to the shrimp. Ug loves nitrogen just like frogbit. But frogbit isnt a carnivore plant
Old 06-07-2013, 08:17 AM   #6
sublime
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Let me clarify. Shrimplets..... They will kill shrimplets. I had ug and my inverts couldn't reproduce fast enough to keep up with the ug. Inverts contain high nitrogen levels which attracts the ug to the shrimp. Ug loves nitrogen just like frogbit. But frogbit isnt a carnivore plant
What do you mean 'inverts contain high nitrogen levels which attract the UG to the shrimp'? Can you please extrapolate that statement.
sublime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2013, 09:10 AM   #7
daboss808
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublime View Post
What do you mean 'inverts contain high nitrogen levels which attract the UG to the shrimp'? Can you please extrapolate that statement.
Shrimp piss and [censored][censored][censored][censored] nitrogen. Try add nitrogen to your tank to raise ppm and watch them slowly die due to overdose. Frogbit lilies thrive off nitrogen. Place it in your tank with little current and watch it thrive frogbit sucks out nitrogen out of your tank. For everyone read up on ug. Ug makes a air bubble looking pod to kill it's prey it is a carnivore plant. It like nitrogen it will eat shrimplets and gammrus shrimp also micro crabs but we don't have them here. I don't think but I could be wrong. Shrimps are scavengers which means there always searching for food on plants, substrate, rocks, moss, etc. They poss and [censored][censored][censored][censored] as they go. When they urinate and deficate that's when the ug strikes.

Get my explanation sublime? When I had ug all my levels were stable conditions, no over feeding, and no bacteria infections. All were molting and still able to berry so I knew I was on the right path. There was basically no other explanation why my shrimplets hatch from berries and all of a sudden disappear. Can't say fish cause there no fish in my planted tanks.

Last edited by daboss808; 06-08-2013 at 09:34 AM.. Reason: Missed words
Old 06-09-2013, 07:29 AM   #8
sublime
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Shrimp piss and [censored][censored][censored][censored] nitrogen. Try add nitrogen to your tank to raise ppm and watch them slowly die due to overdose..
??? True shrimp have excrement that contain nitrogenous waste. However adding nitrogen to your tank will not necessarily kill them. I dose nitrogen in my planted shrimp tank all the time and have not had any deaths that I could attribute to dosing nitrogen.

Quote:
Frogbit lilies thrive off nitrogen. Place it in your tank with little current and watch it thrive frogbit sucks out nitrogen out of your tank. For everyone read up on ug. Ug makes a air bubble looking pod to kill it's prey it is a carnivore plant. It like nitrogen it will eat shrimplets and gammrus shrimp also micro crabs but we don't have them here. I don't think but I could be wrong.
True frogbit will utilize nitrogen quickly, as well as any other fast growing plant. The 'air bubble looking pod' is referred to as a trap or bladder which can entrap organisms small enough to fit into the bladders 'trap door'.

Quote:
Shrimps are scavengers which means there always searching for food on plants, substrate, rocks, moss, etc. They poss and [censored][censored][censored][censored] as they go. When they urinate and deficate that's when the ug strikes.
The UG does not actively 'hunt' for organisms to trap as you allude to. The shrimps excrement has nothing to do with the UG's ability to trap an organism. The trapping of an organism is totally passive until an organism passes close enough to sensitive bristles surrounding the traps entrance. Once the organism contacts the bristles, it causes the 'door' of the trap to open and the organism is sucked into the trap.

Quote:
Get my explanation sublime? When I had ug all my levels were stable conditions, no over feeding, and no bacteria infections. All were molting and still able to berry so I knew I was on the right path. There was basically no other explanation why my shrimplets hatch from berries and all of a sudden disappear. Can't say fish cause there no fish in my planted tanks.
Did you actually see the baby shrimp get entrapped by the UG? I'm sure some of them may have fallen prey to the UG but not all of them. Maybe there was not enough biofilm in your tank for the baby shrimp to survive. To say that all your shrimp fell prey to the UG is pure speculation unless you witnessed it.
sublime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2013, 11:06 AM   #9
daboss808
Planted Tank Obsessed

Sublime,

I agree to your hunting quote and organisim being trapped. If you grow ug as I have and cover 60% of your tank as u can tell. Shrimp are more than likely to get caught up in the ug.

Yes I have seen more than one shrimp caught up in the ug. Dead. As any other organism such as planaria and hydras, bacteria and so on there are shrimp cures. I immediately check if I see a shrimp dead. All levels ph, gh, kh, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, hydras, or other unwanted organisms. If all is good I still treat for bacteria and treat for hydras or planaria. By experience I recommend not to get it. But you may have had success with the ug plants it's just my feelings on it.

Happy fish keeping
Old 06-10-2013, 11:19 AM   #10
Ohmy330
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:

Whoops. Didnt mean to start a debate! But I appreciate the info!
The last thing I want is for the babies to get eaten and I remember reading about the nitrogen. Perhaps hc and blyxa it is.
Now to do the hard scape... : it's gonna take me a while.
Ohmy330 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.