Getting ready for ghost shrimp birth
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 01-24-2013, 02:48 AM   #1
bfensty
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Getting ready for ghost shrimp birth

Recently I've noticed one of my Ghost Shrimp to be carrying around a good few eggs with her. I'm still new to my aquarium and I'd like to know if theres any prepping I should do or if I should just let nature do it's thing. Thanks alot!
bfensty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2013, 03:09 AM   #2
Markahsf
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)

Honestly, I wouldn't do a thing. In my experience with ghost shrimp, they breed with no special care. I used to buy ghost shrimp for my crayfish to eat and once in a while, I'd find babies swimming around.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2.
Markahsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:16 AM   #3
DanSanDiego
Algae Grower

I would not expect to see babies from your Ghost Shrimp. If I am not mistaken, they need brackish water to reproduce. I have Ghost Shrimp and I have seen them carry eggs, but I have never seen little ones.
DanSanDiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:06 AM   #4
Kitsune_Gem
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via Skype™ to Kitsune_Gem

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSanDiego View Post
I would not expect to see babies from your Ghost Shrimp. If I am not mistaken, they need brackish water to reproduce. I have Ghost Shrimp and I have seen them carry eggs, but I have never seen little ones.

There are several different types of 'ghost' shrimp sold in stores. Some breed just fine in fresh. The ones we get in breed like rabbits, most of the babies get eaten by the rasboras, but some live.

I've even taken out a mother who was in the process of letting young go, and kept the young alive in a small container with anarchris for several weeks until I went on vacation and forgot to leave instructions on what to do for them.
Kitsune_Gem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:02 AM   #5
fusiongt
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

The only thing I would be sure to do is having a good sponge prefilter on your filter. I recommend the harder plasticy sponge kind rather than the soft Fluval Edge sponges that most people here recommend as those get sucked into the filter so that defeats the purpose. Just make sure there's no good openings for super small shrimplets to get sucked up on it and give them some more hiding spots if you don't already have them (moss and stuff is good).
Old 01-24-2013, 08:58 PM   #6
dougolasjr
Invert Addict

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to dougolasjr

I think it depends on the type. Its hit or miss on getting the right type that can breed in freshwater. Then there is always the chance you might get a macro shrimp.
dougolasjr is online now   Reply With Quote