Snails got in my tank - help
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 01-24-2013, 02:32 AM   #1
Puddles
Suspended

PTrader: (26/100%)

Snails got in my tank - help

I hate snails. I've had bad experiences with ramshorns and pond snails in the past. Somehow pond snails infiltrated my newest shrimp tank. The only source would be a supposedly snail free plant I got off of aquabid. That's neither here nor there, I'm taking care of it. But how do I get them out? I don't currently have another tank set up that I can move the shrimp into while I deal with these snails. Is there anything I can do to get rid of them, or am I doomed to their existence?
Puddles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2013, 02:42 AM   #2
Merth
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)

Pick them out? put a net with algae wafer or something in, turn lights off, come back an hour later and lift out full of snails...lots of options
Merth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 02:48 AM   #3
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (441/100%)

Any particular reason you're freaking out about snails?

As long as you don't overfeed, populations won't get out-of-control.

Snails = sign your tank is healthy. They clean up your uneaten food, eat algae, keep the glass spotless. And in a shrimp tank? Their slime trail ends up being tasty goodies for your shrimp.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 02:52 AM   #4
rodcuda
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)

You will never get them all. Learn to live with them, a assasin snail or two will also keep them in check. But if you have expensive shimp you might not want to do that as they have been accused of occasionally eating a live healthy shrimp.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:32 AM   #5
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

for some odd reason my snails like water sprite. i will pluck a leaf and put it in a tank with alot of snails and when i get up pull the leaf out and a ton of snails with it. lettus leaf works well too
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 04:19 AM   #6
Bubba Shrimp
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

I have alot of ramshorn snails I let them gather on my driftwood and take the driftwood out to dry and clean them off after they are a goner.

Guy: "I have Algae on my drift wood!"

Pet Clerk: "Take two Plecos and call me next week."

EHEIM Classic 2213
Check out my blog
tsturgeonblog.wordpress.com/
Bubba Shrimp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 04:25 AM   #7
Puddles
Suspended

PTrader: (26/100%)

I'll live with them I guess. I grow extra plants and sell them or give them out, and I don't like passing on snails to people who don't want them. I'll just give my plants salt baths before I pass them on.
Puddles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 05:42 AM   #8
accordztech
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Buy a dwarf puffer. My Snails dissapeared in 3 days. I have to add snails to keep him fed lol.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:12 PM   #9
DubSmacks
Algae Grower

PTrader: (10/100%)

I smash them and leave them for my shrimp to take care of. I rid myself of a pond snail problem but now I have ram shorn snails and have a hard time ridding myself of them
DubSmacks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 05:34 PM   #10
MABJ
Invert Warrior

Jake's right. Snails aren't a problem.. Overfeeding is. You should have a healthy population of snails that contribute to your ecosystem. When you overfeed, they reproduce to meet the amount of food going into your tank.

They don't look bad. They don't carry diseases. So there is no big deal..

And @Accordztech.. I'm sure it was in jest, but please don't recommend to people keeping dwarf puffers just to get rid of snails. Some people will truly listen, and you never know if they have a tank that would satisfy even one.
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder -- DBP Club.
MABJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 07:58 PM   #11
accordztech
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MABJ View Post
Jake's right. Snails aren't a problem.. Overfeeding is. You should have a healthy population of snails that contribute to your ecosystem. When you overfeed, they reproduce to meet the amount of food going into your tank.

They don't look bad. They don't carry diseases. So there is no big deal..

And @Accordztech.. I'm sure it was in jest, but please don't recommend to people keeping dwarf puffers just to get rid of snails. Some people will truly listen, and you never know if they have a tank that would satisfy even one.
Are you serious? I'm not trying to start an argument so Dont take it the wrong way. But there is information from everyone on this website and some are right and some are completely wrong. If they decide to follow it then its up to them. I only offer a suggestion.

On forums regardless of what anyone says,even gurus, I always research their advice before I make the decision. I could say if he doesn't like snails then get out of the hobby and throw the tank away. Do you think he will follow that advice just cause I said it?

Anyways its a free forum. What people decide to use the information given to them is up to them.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:54 PM   #12
Nubster
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Adding a puffer to a shrimp tank? That's horrible advise. Snails gone, what do you think the puffer will eat next?

Best thing is to learn to live with them. Three ways I'd recommend maintaining the population...first, keep feeding under control. Over feeding leads to overpopulation. Second, manual removal. If you start seeing more than you want, make a snail trap or throw a blanched piece of veggie in the tank. When a bunch of snails get on the veggie, remove it with all the snails. Third, and what I do personally, add one assassin snail to your tank. That one assassin will do a decent job keeping things in check and you don't have to worry about the assassin breeding. Only downside, your substrate will be littered with empty snail shells.
EVIL Camera Pimp member #1
NIKON Pimp Club member #012
SunSun Pimp Club member #069

20L OEBT/Super Tiger/PFR Tank 20L Yellow Neo tank

Nubster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 10:17 PM   #13
MABJ
Invert Warrior

Default Snails got in my tank - help

Quote:
Originally Posted by accordztech View Post
Are you serious? I'm not trying to start an argument so Dont take it the wrong way. But there is information from everyone on this website and some are right and some are completely wrong. If they decide to follow it then its up to them. I only offer a suggestion.

On forums regardless of what anyone says,even gurus, I always research their advice before I make the decision. I could say if he doesn't like snails then get out of the hobby and throw the tank away. Do you think he will follow that advice just cause I said it?

Anyways its a free forum. What people decide to use the information given to them is up to them.
I'm quite serious. It was poor advice. I won't take it any further than that. Bad advice shouldn't be posted, no?
Old 01-24-2013, 10:18 PM   #14
MABJ
Invert Warrior

Default Snails got in my tank - help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
Adding a puffer to a shrimp tank? That's horrible advise. Snails gone, what do you think the puffer will eat next?

Best thing is to learn to live with them. Three ways I'd recommend maintaining the population...first, keep feeding under control. Over feeding leads to overpopulation. Second, manual removal. If you start seeing more than you want, make a snail trap or throw a blanched piece of veggie in the tank. When a bunch of snails get on the veggie, remove it with all the snails. Third, and what I do personally, add one assassin snail to your tank. That one assassin will do a decent job keeping things in check and you don't have to worry about the assassin breeding. Only downside, your substrate will be littered with empty snail shells.
Great advice. I couldn't say it any better myself.

They're great place markers for how much you feed or don't feed!
Old 01-24-2013, 10:22 PM   #15
pmcarbrey
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubster View Post

My thoughts exactly.
pmcarbrey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.