Dwarf Puffers
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 08-23-2003, 07:00 PM   #1
Lynn
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I have two dwarf puffers in a 5 gal. tank. They mostly hang out at the bottom of the tank and don't swim much. Even when I put food in the tank. I have given them freeze dried bloodworms and sun dried baby shrimp. Are these okay foods? I have heard something about snails, but I don't know what I should buy and how many. I would rather not buy anything live to feed them, just a personal preference. Also what is the normal type of behavior for them? I have tried to find some information on the internet, but they don't give much information about their behavior. Like I said mine usually hang out at the bottom of the tank and if they are eating, I never see them eating. I like these little guys, they are cute and would like to be able to keep them. I would appreciate any information anyone can give me. I am obviously new to this and would like to get it right.
Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2003, 02:21 AM   #2
Slaigar
Planted Member

They might be sick or are still adjusting to the tank. I have 3 of these guys in a 20g that are always active- chasing each other, swimming around the plants, looking for food. They eagerly take frozen bloodworms, though do not over feed as these little guys cannot each so much.
Old 08-24-2003, 02:48 AM   #3
Lynn
Algae Grower

Thanks for that info. It concerns me that they hang out at the bottom all the time and even when I put some of the bloodworms in they swim around for awile and the food could be right in front of them and they just swim around for awhile and then they settle back down near the rocks. I have had them for 5 days. I tried brine shrimp too and even some pellets that would sink. If they are eating those it is hard for me to tell because they blend it with the tank. I provided several places to hide also. I just don't want them to die on me.
Old 08-24-2003, 03:29 AM   #4
2la
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Always check your water parameters if you think your fish may be sick. Do they show any physical symptoms? Are their bellies sunken?
2la is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2003, 04:47 AM   #5
Lynn
Algae Grower

No their bellies aren't sunken. The water seems to be fine. I have checked it. From what I am hearing, it seem that puffers are supposed to be some what of a happy fish. Should I purchase some snails? I really don't want to, but if I have to, I will. If I do, what do I buy and how many and how often? I ask only because all the sites I have checked have said snails but never how many and how often. And I get conflicting information at my LFS. Like I said earlier are freeze dried bloodworms and sun dried brine shrimp okay? It seems that the sun dried shrimp is almost as big as they are and when I put a couple in, they didn't show much interest. I really like these little guys. I would like to keep them. Should I get some live plants in there. I don't have any right now, but it would be no problem to add some.
Thanks
Old 08-24-2003, 05:36 AM   #6
evan
Planted Tank Obsessed

if freeze-dried doesn't work... then try frozen foods. if that don't work go for stuff like brine shrimp or even mosquito eggs from outside lol.
evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2003, 04:20 PM   #7
Lynn
Algae Grower

Oh, those mosquito eggs sound gross. Not interested in that at all. Yeah I am sure you are lol! Besides, even if I wanted to do the mosquito egg thing, I wouldn't due to the West Nile virus already here in California.
However, I would buy the frozen bloodworms. Are they already dead or are they dormant in the freezer like when you buy lady bugs for your garden? My mother lives in my house and I don't think she would like to see worms in the freezer, especially if they were still considered alive. LOL. I guess I can get these frozen bloodworms at the LFS?
Old 08-24-2003, 05:03 PM   #8
evan
Planted Tank Obsessed

they are prolly dead. you could always raise sea monkeys!
Old 08-24-2003, 05:04 PM   #9
evan
Planted Tank Obsessed

get like a 10 gallon tank and raise a horde of sea monkeys. put this next to your tank. and when its feeding time ... just get a mini-net and scoop up some shrimp and feed it. 10 gallon tanks are only 10 bucks and cheaper. you don't need gravel or anything. just following the instructions on the brine shrimp cyst container and you can start a sea monkey farm. btw... don't get actual sea monkeys, there are not enough in those packets.
Old 08-24-2003, 06:08 PM   #10
Lynn
Algae Grower

I talked to a friend and found out they are dead, so I went and bought some. They seemed a little more interested in that. I have two neons in the tank (5 gallon) with them and it seems that they are more aggressive towards the puffers and to my suprise they loved the bloodworms too!! It was almost like they were taking away the puffers food. Would you suggest I move the neons into my other tank? I have a community tank (10 gallon) that has platys and lamp eyes and an algae eater.
I already have two tanks, I don't want another for sea monkeys! I don't even know where I would put it! I only wanted one tank, but ended up with two because I wanted the puffers.
Old 08-24-2003, 09:55 PM   #11
evan
Planted Tank Obsessed

actually... u just need a small jar for brine shrimp. and... dwarf puffers are supposed to species only tanks. i think. the neons will make good food for the puffers. dwarf puffers will eat fish bigger than they are.
Old 08-24-2003, 10:43 PM   #12
Slaigar
Planted Member

I have dwarf puffers with a few guppies, a headstander, a rainbow shark, a clown pleco and 2 gouramis. So far, they have never attacked the guppies- some are equal or smaller than them. I do not believe that the dwarf puffers will snag the neons, the puffers are just too slow, hehe.
Old 08-24-2003, 10:58 PM   #13
evan
Planted Tank Obsessed

yea true. but he's got a 5 gallon.
Old 08-24-2003, 11:50 PM   #14
Lynn
Algae Grower

I will consider moving them over to my other tank, it might be worth a try. It also seems that one of the little puffers hides more than the other, and he hides good, I can't find him, then eventually he comes out from where he has been and at least I know he is still there.
Old 08-25-2003, 12:32 AM   #15
rdn2
Algae Grower

I keep 8 dwarf puffers in a planted 75 with lots of other types of fish and even a few shrimp with no problems at all. In my tank the dwarf puffers are peaceful as heck towards other fish. They love live snails, frozen bloodworms that have been thawed out and what my lfs calls red wigglers (it looks like a baby earthworm to me.)

Ron
rdn2 is offline   Reply With Quote