CO2 reactor - and Air
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 01-23-2013, 07:03 PM   #1
braddiamond
Algae Grower

PTrader: (9/100%)

CO2 reactor - and Air

Please see attached file. I have a small eheim that is powering the c02 reactor but there is air on the top of the reactor so 1/3 is air/co2 and the bottom is water. The water dribbles into the c02 reactor and never fills it up all the way. I did some reading and its seems like the c02 will escape from the water and will be stuck in the reactor or just escape as big air bubbles from the return into the tank. How can i resolve this issue.

Side note: I've tried to just using 1 pump (that pushes water thru reactor and back into tank) mag7 or a eheim 1262 and my tank does not have enough flow and i have many dead spots. by using 2 pumps a mag7 alone gives me enough flow in the tank, i just need to resolve the reactor air issue.

BTW itís a 72 gallon with an overflow (As pictured), with a hgb.
thanks
Attached Images

braddiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2013, 08:28 PM   #2
mott
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by braddiamond View Post
Please see attached file. I have a small eheim that is powering the c02 reactor but there is air on the top of the reactor so 1/3 is air/co2 and the bottom is water. The water dribbles into the c02 reactor and never fills it up all the way. I did some reading and its seems like the c02 will escape from the water and will be stuck in the reactor or just escape as big air bubbles from the return into the tank. How can i resolve this issue.

Side note: I've tried to just using 1 pump (that pushes water thru reactor and back into tank) mag7 or a eheim 1262 and my tank does not have enough flow and i have many dead spots. by using 2 pumps a mag7 alone gives me enough flow in the tank, i just need to resolve the reactor air issue.

BTW itís a 72 gallon with an overflow (As pictured), with a hgb.
thanks
Put the reactor on one of the pumps, the Eheim is probbably not pushing enough flow for the reactor
mott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:45 PM   #3
norbot
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

I had a similar problem trying to make enough flow and have the reactor working.

When I had the reactor connected to the eheim just a trickle would come out of the spraybar and I had bad circulation before that.

What I wound up doing is using an external pump to drive the reactor but I got some black pvc pipe and made a spraybar the entire length of the tank and put it near the substrate. This way I could add the holes to spraybar exactly where I needed more flow and co2 is injected at the bottom of tank, I can't even really notice the spraybar either.

I think a lot of times it's challenging to get the whole reactor system primed, it can be stubborn, I find it helps to use a funnel and just dump water down the intake tube while the pump is running, also try turning the reactor upside down a bunch.

Some people install bleed valves which seems useful. I think sometimes when you just get a trickle, the reactor system is not properly primed. Not too sure though
norbot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
co2, reactor