125g w/ 40g breeder sump. high tech, in wall-goodness - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 01-25-2013, 12:26 PM   #16
Silmarwen
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapegoat View Post
sooo, it might turn into a little fish room. not that that is planned or anything... nope, not planned at all.
I see no planning occurring whatsoever.

I do, however, look forward to seeing whatever may just happen, you know?

10g "Community" of nothing but Danios - 2g (barely) planted Betta - 2.5g Betta - 1g Pond Snail Repository

My aquascape style tends towards 'tall in the back, short in the front, lots and lots of green and stuff. And maybe a rock somewhere...'
Silmarwen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2013, 01:15 PM   #17
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sick lid View Post
Will you have access from the front of the tank for maintenance, or strictly from behind? That is really the only regret I have with my setup, not very easy to prune from the back.
access will be from behind only, giggity. I see your point regarding trimming though. Really not sure I want to throw another wrench into the plan. Though, I'm sure it wouldnt be too difficult to hide some hardware. However, my planned flora shouldnt require too much trimming. I'm thinking the hairgrass will really be the only thing I need to worry about.

I did consider using foam core board as the tank backing though, for easy removal and to see through from behind if need be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silmarwen View Post
I see no planning occurring whatsoever.

I do, however, look forward to seeing whatever may just happen, you know?
haha me too me too. She at least understands the need for a quarantine tank, even though I don't have one and keep mentioning that I should. 99% sure she won't have an issue as long as the plethora of tanks arent in her face.

Also, no word on the stairs as of this morning. My fingers are cross that they don't come in this week as I'd really like to see the tank area built. I'm also undecided on when to order the tank from Hidden Reef. my main concern is having the tank in place and something happening to it during the rest of construction... but it'd be nice to start working on the electrical (no big deal) and sump during the week.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:44 PM   #18
rbarn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silmarwen View Post
Well, to be fair, rbarn's 300 gallon discus has been years in the making now,
come on, it hasnt even been 18 months yet, lol
rbarn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 10:13 PM   #19
Silmarwen
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbarn View Post
come on, it hasnt even been 18 months yet, lol
The first post was in 2011. It is now 2013. Ergo, "years." My logic is impeccable!

10g "Community" of nothing but Danios - 2g (barely) planted Betta - 2.5g Betta - 1g Pond Snail Repository

My aquascape style tends towards 'tall in the back, short in the front, lots and lots of green and stuff. And maybe a rock somewhere...'
Old 01-25-2013, 10:44 PM   #20
lamiskool
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

subscribed! Cant wait to see how this turns out.
lamiskool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 01:17 AM   #21
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

Great huge update for the fish "room" area. I do have to apologize that this will be the last update for a bit as I still need the tank as well as continue to plan the filtration aaaaand do the rest of the basement.

Ran into a little snag with the 55g as a sump. there is only a depth of 11.5" under the tank, and with the 55 is 12 3/4" deep... so no go there. I'm thinking of looking into a 37g which would fit to the left of the off-center center brace. and stick out a bit. not a big deal, just not what I want. so still plenty of time to plan and decide. might have to go with a commercial sump, or maybe order up some acrylic and have a go at making one myself from scratch.

We put the 90g I'm trying to get rid of in place to see how the 125 would fit, since they're the same depth of 18.5" (including trim) and the damn thing fits perfectly on the corner. We're slightly out of square with the wall that has the door, but I'm not concerned since we can fudge a bit with trim to make it look fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130126_180951.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	74474  

Name:	20130126_182127.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	74482  

Name:	20130126_182143.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	74490  

Name:	20130126_182215.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	74498  

Name:	20130126_182353.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	74506  

Old 01-27-2013, 01:42 AM   #22
rbarn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

tip: do the trim along the bottom of the tank 2-3" up the side of the tank and then you will not see the ugly substrate line.
rbarn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 02:07 AM   #23
GraphicGr8s
Banned

PTrader: (9/100%)

Love the idea of the 2 sided view. My last house I closed in the carport to add a family room. I put a 90 saltwater in the wall. And I built a 7' wide bay window in front. We were the last house on a dead end street so as you approached the house yo saw this gorgeous saltwater tank through the bay window. When we had this house built I had a closet put in the hall behind the family room just for a fish tank. Siting on the sofa you'd see the TV, fireplace and the tank. We always enjoyed that tank in the wall in the last house. We built this house in 99. Still no tank in the wall. I suggested a 2 sided view but the other half nixed that idea.
We've had tanks since we got married. My 3.5 year old has always known these tanks. Only twice in 3.5 years has he put anything into my lowest tank. He wanted to see if his hot wheels car would sink. Since he was able to I've let him help me feed the fish and the turtle. Some parents also put up all their breakables. We've never done that and he hasn't broken any. Same at my inlaws house since they take care of him during the week.
Today we took the trip to Nolans. He chose a red tip shark and a Bala. Kid knows what he wants.

The 90 is still in my last house. And it's going to foreclosure. Hmmmmm.
GraphicGr8s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 01:01 PM   #24
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbarn View Post
tip: do the trim along the bottom of the tank 2-3" up the side of the tank and then you will not see the ugly substrate line.
I don't mind seeing the substrate, definitely not enough to lose 2-3" of tank. the plan is to bring the drywall up a little over the trim and edge that with a very simple edge and paint it black to match the trim.

something like this: http://www.lowes.com/pd_95526-19-620...ductId=3120415

heading to a couple LFS' today to price out the tank and figure out options. I'd love an overflow in the back left corner, but I'm not sure that'll be enough to such a long tank, but it would be the best for reducing it's visibility
Old 01-27-2013, 03:36 PM   #25
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

Went to get pricing on the tank amd ended up ordering a standard aqueon drilled 125. My wife, the doll that she is, said it will be cool to have it in place. She's went from questioning my sanity to seeing my vision with the latest progress.

Now to figure out this sump mess, figure out what pump I need, and plan out the piping with co2. This is progressing faster than I thought.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:49 PM   #26
Silmarwen
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
My wife, the doll that she is, said it will be cool to have it in place. She's went from questioning my sanity to seeing my vision with the latest progress.
It's a lot clearer once you see the wall frame up, though! It looks great so far, I'm excited to see that much progress! Sucks about the sump problems, though. Good thing you realized before t got too far, though, right?

This thread makes me think, though--for all of you who build-in tanks like this... How does that affect the re-sale value of the home? I mean, if I ran across a home with 200 gallons of built-in fish tank, I'd be ecstatic, but I feel like for some realtors that might be a hard sell, between maintenance or tear-down/remodeling.

Old 01-27-2013, 04:07 PM   #27
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

With the way this is done the tank can be removed and the wall framed in. Then bam; its just a closet. There was already one here anyway. And we could easily remove this prior to listing the home, or leave it

Hell, it could be a bar area.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:13 PM   #28
Silmarwen
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
With the way this is done the tank can be removed and the wall framed in. Then bam; its just a closet. There was already one here anyway. And we could easily remove this prior to listing the home, or leave it

Hell, it could be a bar area.
I suppose that's very true. Wet bar FTW! We used to actually have our 55g installed on our wet bar in our old house. The one thing I truly hated about moving was having to leave it behind :/ There are days when I consider going back, knocking on the door, and being like... "Do you just have, like, the rocks from that aquarium? Can I have them back? I'll give you, like, a hundred bucks for them. Please?"

...That being said, I aso realized that we've never spent more than 7-8 years in a single place, so it's hard for me to conceive of owning a house and having it long enough for your children to grow up in it and such. A built-in tank is much more reasonable in a 20-year home than a 7-year home.

Old 01-27-2013, 05:27 PM   #29
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

We're only planning on being here for another 5-10 years. But we made the decision that this 1200sq/ft rancher wasnt big enough. We planned on staying for a bit then having children. Buuut found out she conceived the day we signed papers. Two years later we're wanting more space but love the house, property, and neighborhood.

As soon as we decided to do the basement I was dead set on a fish tank.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:45 PM   #30
Silmarwen
Planted Tank Obsessed

Oh, isn't life funny like that, though. If you really want to stay, but need more space, there's always additions, aren't there? My aunt and uncle added a nice sun room a few years ago, and use that as a living/entertaining space instead of the living room, which was converted to an office/craft space. Of course, their kids are all grown and gone now, but they entertain grandkids a lot.

If I ever get the chance to remodel a basement, I'd do the same thing, honestly. I might have to add that to any future husband's vows: "...and I'll let you build a fish tank into the basement, should we acquire one." Just so he's aware.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.