Shrimp parameters
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 01-23-2013, 06:36 PM   #1
Hurley427
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Shrimp parameters

Done some searching and not really seeing the answer to my question. Whay are the differences between each species when it comes to conditions they thrive in? Seems like they are very similar other than temperature. maybe im missing something ...
Hurley427 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2013, 07:01 PM   #2
Betta Maniac
Wanabe BKK Herder

PTrader: (17/100%)

Look under the FAQ

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=184517

Or explore by type over at Planet Inverts

http://www.planetinverts.com/

And no, they're not at all similar depending on what you want to keep. Each species is different, and some species are even finicky within the subspecies/types (not all caridina like the same thing for example).

Lastly, it’s often best to get a good understanding of what your water is like and pick your shrimp based on that, rather than fighting tooth and nail to change what you have.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:02 PM   #3
Simplicity
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

neos, tigers, crs, TBs all require different params.... which are you looking at specifically.

ph, gh, TDS, temp also differ
Simplicity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 07:12 PM   #4
Hurley427
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betta Maniac View Post
Look under the FAQ

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=184517

Or explore by type over at Planet Inverts

http://www.planetinverts.com/

And no, they're not at all similar depending on what you want to keep. Each species is different, and some species are even finicky within the subspecies/types (not all caridina like the same thing for example).

Lastly, itís often best to get a good understanding of what your water is like and pick your shrimp based on that, rather than fighting tooth and nail to change what you have.
Good idea, when my tank is cycled and stable i will take those readings and get shrimp based off that
Old 01-23-2013, 07:16 PM   #5
Hurley427
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
neos, tigers, crs, TBs all require different params.... which are you looking at specifically.

ph, gh, TDS, temp also differ
Guess i didnt do enough reading, ive just been generally reading on shrimp. Ive kept cherries in the past and they did great for me. Looking to eventually get crs, other forms of neos and i love oebt but im not one to jump into something unless my research is up to par
Old 01-23-2013, 07:25 PM   #6
Betta Maniac
Wanabe BKK Herder

If you search the forum you can pretty easily find discussions about proper parms for various types of shrimp. Knowing your TDS, pH, gH, and kH are really key to keeping shrimp happy and breeding.

Decide before you set up the tank which variety you’re shooting for pH-wise. Some will need a buffering substrate like Aquasoil (low pH for things like CRS, Taiwan Bees), while others will need an inert substrate and a neutral pH (most neos and some tigers). While others need a higher pH (Black Tigers and Cardinals).

Also think about how hot it gets where you live. Crystals need lower temps, so if you can’t keep their tanks cool in summer, you’ll have problems.

Last edited by Betta Maniac; 01-23-2013 at 07:26 PM.. Reason: typo
Betta Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 07:35 PM   #7
Hurley427
Algae Grower

Theyll be in my basement, its always in the 60's. From some of my reading it looks like it would be easier to do ro and then "build" my water.

So, lets say i want oebt, should i just type in "oebt water parameters" and go from there?
Old 01-23-2013, 07:54 PM   #8
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

oebt are really prone to bacterial infections... there were lots of losses here in the forums over the summer they need to stay cool and can be pretty picky. i like this guide its pretty good just remember to check with whoever you get shrimp from to find out what their water is like and try to match as close as you can
http://www.shrimpkeeping.com/
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 07:54 PM   #9
Simplicity
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurley427 View Post
Theyll be in my basement, its always in the 60's. From some of my reading it looks like it would be easier to do ro and then "build" my water.

So, lets say i want oebt, should i just type in "oebt water parameters" and go from there?
Yep. Pick a species and build a tank around those params.
Simplicity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 07:58 PM   #10
Hurley427
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicca27 View Post
oebt are really prone to bacterial infections... there were lots of losses here in the forums over the summer they need to stay cool and can be pretty picky. i like this guide its pretty good just remember to check with whoever you get shrimp from to find out what their water is like and try to match as close as you can
http://www.shrimpkeeping.com/
You're amazing!

My head was hurting from looking through many threads to just find out there was nothing i wanted to read in them.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:09 PM   #11
Hurley427
Algae Grower

After seeing them on the same page i can see the differences .... thanks everyone
Old 01-23-2013, 08:23 PM   #12
Betta Maniac
Wanabe BKK Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicca27 View Post
Nice chart!
Old 01-23-2013, 10:06 PM   #13
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

there can be some of those numbers off due to the fact of how people keep them. i have known people that keep oebt in ph of 6.5 and they did great. mine didnt like it so they were in about 7-7.4 ive also has my lower grade crs do pretty wellin higher ph (about 7.3 or 7.4) so always make sure to ask what the parameters are from the person you buy from to be on the safe side
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 10:32 PM   #14
Puddles
Suspended

PTrader: (26/100%)

Yeah, that chart isn't foolproof. I keep tigers in 0-1kh, for example. It's a nice starting point though.
Puddles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.