Shambhalove's 75 (got my bows!!shrimp unimpressed.) :D - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 04-16-2013, 02:22 AM   #31
discuspaul
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Your tank really looks quite spectacular - I think it would look even more dramatic with a suitable background - not sure what color it should be though.
But you're certainly doing a superb job with your aquascape. Keep it up.
discuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2013, 03:26 AM   #32
shambhalove.
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
Your tank really looks quite spectacular - I think it would look even more dramatic with a suitable background - not sure what color it should be though.
But you're certainly doing a superb job with your aquascape. Keep it up.
Thanks alot! Right now theres just some black poly for a background, it gives off a kind of glare that looks strange so i wanted to switch it out.

I still need something for for the driftwood but cant decide on some moss or java fern. Some plants with a bit of color would be nice too. Any suggestions?
shambhalove. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:49 AM   #33
discuspaul
Planted Tank Guru

Nothing wrong with using Java Ferns &/or Moss on the driftwood, but my preference has always been dark-green leafed Anubias for that purpose.
Give Anubias some thought - just for you to have a look-see, here are some Anubias on DW in a small 15 gal tank of mine:
http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/...uspaul/Anubias

If you're looking for other plants elsewhere, besides on the DW, you might consider Nymphaea (Red, Green, or Tiger Lotuses).

Last edited by discuspaul; 04-17-2013 at 03:53 AM.. Reason: add a sentence
Old 06-25-2013, 04:29 PM   #34
shambhalove.
Planted Member

Time for an update! Its been a while and everything's still crusin along, moved some stuff around and did a big trim so back to waiting for everything to fill in again . I really need to learn how to take FTS though haha, everything has too much glare and you cant see any colours.

Got some new fish too!! 10 Sterbai Corys, they are awesome to watch scurry around lookin for food. Since adding them my sand is so much cleaner as well, the first week the kicked up so much dust but it seems the filter has caught up now.

Ive been putting all my cherry culls in this tank and they are taking over. They are even getting progressively braver, even jumping in on the algae wafer nom fest . Been getting some really cool colours/patterns too!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130624_153225.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	164817  

Name:	20130624_164142.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	164825  

Name:	20130624_171627.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	164833  

Name:	20130624_185332.jpg
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	164841  

Name:	20130624_185120.jpg
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	164849  

Name:	20130624_171101.jpg
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	164857  

Name:	20130421_145803.jpg
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	164865  

Name:	20130624_164609.jpg
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	164873  

Old 08-13-2013, 07:45 PM   #35
shambhalove.
Planted Member

Well I've learned a few things since the last update, which is good

1) 2 weeks is not enough quarantine time, despite how healthy the fish look and act.

2) Rainbows are shrimp seeking missiles.

So I bought some Boesemani rainbows, awesome fish. Ive wanted them since starting this tank. Went to the lfs and got 7, took them home and put them in my qt tank. Now i was under the impression that juvies all look rather washed out and that it was difficult to sex them at a young age. Well, after about 2 weeks they were settling in to their new qt tank and they all looked pretty male to me. All had a clear blue/orange split and none were the greenish colour I've see in pics of females.

So back to the lfs, they have always been good with returns (dead or alive) and have a 30 day full price/60 day half price guarantee. Went to scope out the other rainbows to see if they had some females, yup found some that were a more olive greenish colour with a more pale yellow tail. I decided to exchange 4 males for females. This brought me to 3M/4F ratio, now i am pretty new at keeping fish and never kept bows but from what i've read this was much better than 7 males for several reasons.

Back in qt with the others. Males were excited to say the least haha. But this is where i got impatient, they new additions seemed fine so i assumed they were just like the originals. Left them in quarantine for another 2 weeks anyways, kept a close eye on them and all seemed good so into the 75 they went.

Ich . Within a couple days i noticed a tiny white spot on the big females fin. At first i figured maybe just damage from netting so i just waited and watched. Couple days, couple more spots, all looking like grains of salt now but still only like 3 spots total on 2 fish. Well not a big deal i suppose, did some quick research as i didnt feel meds were needed and Ive used salt/heat before in unplanted tanks. Settled on heat and Ick Attack. Temp slowly up to 87ish and dosing Ick Attack as per directions. Spots spread to one other fish, but still only about 5 visible spots on 3 fish at the maximum. Been over a week now since the last spot so I'm starting to decrease the heat.

Only thing i would recommend with using Ick Attack is to make sure you change/clean your filter floss or any mech media (prefilter sponge etc) often. I actually took off my fluval prefilter and used an aquaclear sponge because it clogged in about a day and a half. For anyone interested, none of the livestock skipped a beat, everything was still eating and very active during the whole heat treatment. No deaths at all.

Well...kinda.

Now the cherries had been taking over this tank, my gourami is more interested in "feeling" them and the corys are only a big longer than a adult. I'm sure some were munched on, but not like this. In went the bows and holy shrimp massacre. They lock on to any movement and attack with lightning speed, as soon as this happens the rest of them are zooming in to see whats going on and jump in on the attack.

Not the greatest pic but i was able to catch them swarming a shrimp. Ive even seen them sneak up behind fully grown adults and scoop them up from behind, mouthful of sand and all. Then spend the next 20 minutes swimming around frantically with little shrimp feelers hanging out their mouth trying to choke it down. Which they do. Somehow.

Oh well good reason to start another tank Just thought I'd mention it as a warning. If you really like your shrimp population do not add larger rainbows, it does not matter how many hiding spots you have, they find find and kill them all. But you'll have some happy fish!! I think its kinda cool to watch them hunt too, the whole group stays in this tight "high alert" formation and anything that moves gets bombed. Including my corys, falling snails (which i swear they will choke on) and bits of leaves floating around.

K enough talk heres some pics...

Monster amazon swords! lol

Male?

Female?

Same girl later in the day, showing more of that olive green colour.

Little vacuum!
Old 08-16-2013, 01:06 AM   #36
shambhalove.
Planted Member

Just purchased my first co2 rig for this tank!!

Pretty excited to get into the more technical side of this hobby. I love how this tank is progressing but i think i'm ready to starting upgrading things.

Cannot say enough about the customer service at GLA, i know it has been stated many times here before but Orlando was awesome! I had so many questions and he answered them all within 5 minutes every time. To me that is worth every extra penny.

What i settled on

Got their inline atomic diffuser and a nice fancy drop checker too!

What do you guys/gals think?
Old 08-16-2013, 01:13 AM   #37
dewalltheway
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (134/99%)

Love the tank & the Bows! I had to LOL when reading your post on attacking the shrimp. Great job and the CO2 will really benefit the plants in your tank.
Old 08-16-2013, 02:23 AM   #38
discuspaul
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by shambhalove. View Post
Just purchased my first co2 rig for this tank!!

Pretty excited to get into the more technical side of this hobby. I love how this tank is progressing but i think i'm ready to starting upgrading things.

Cannot say enough about the customer service at GLA, i know it has been stated many times here before but Orlando was awesome! I had so many questions and he answered them all within 5 minutes every time. To me that is worth every extra penny.

What i settled on

Got their inline atomic diffuser and a nice fancy drop checker too!

What do you guys/gals think?

Whatever it is you're doing - keep it up - you're doing just great.
You have a super looking tank !
And it's getting better as time goes on.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:27 AM   #39
shambhalove.
Planted Member

Thank you both very much!
Old 08-18-2013, 03:49 AM   #40
shambhalove.
Planted Member

Had to do a big trim and re plant today, the wisteria was getting out of control! I actually dont really like the manicured look but it'll be a jungle again in no time. Plus the fish are loving the extra swimming room.

Here's a before/after

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	751.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	193986  

Name:	752.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	193994  

Old 08-19-2013, 04:48 PM   #41
extrame
Algae Grower

very nice looking tank shambalove! your tank is very clean and neat looking unlike mine. good luck with the new co2 rig!
i see that you also have boesemani's hehe they are really interesting to watch
mine snack on the shrimp population in my tank too. if you're setting up another tank, try some dwarf neon rainbows! they are also pretty and more active in mating rituals hehe.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:42 PM   #42
shambhalove.
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by extrame View Post
very nice looking tank shambalove! your tank is very clean and neat looking unlike mine. good luck with the new co2 rig!
i see that you also have boesemani's hehe they are really interesting to watch
mine snack on the shrimp population in my tank too. if you're setting up another tank, try some dwarf neon rainbows! they are also pretty and more active in mating rituals hehe.
Thanks!! The corys/snails/shrimp keep it nice and clean for me. I finally found some ottos locally too so they will join the clean up army soon enough.

Picked up my co2 tank last night
75 bucks for a full, brand new, 5lb tank. Seemed like a decent deal?

And yes Boesemanis are pretty much my favorite fish now. I feed them some live white worms for the fist time last night and they started flashing immediately!! It was so cool, they look like cuttlefish changing colours. I had read all about it but i wasnt ready for that, im going to try and get a decent video of it.
Old 08-23-2013, 01:11 AM   #43
Bradleyv1714
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Nice tank, I have a 55gal tank with a 2 bulb shoplight and I decided to get myself a current sat+ led. I wonder how much light would a 4 bulb have produced and the hanging thing is awesome!
Old 08-23-2013, 01:59 AM   #44
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

I always Q my bows for a month lol. Your opening a can of worms with these little guys. There are easily 60+ species, and not enough tanks to keep em all lol

There are some smaller species out there that would compliment the bosmani's well. If you have an opportunity to grab some M.Nigrans, do it!!!
They have subtle colors, and have a more slender body. but very pretty when the light catches them just right. There a few breeders of these little guys in the states, and you will not find them in your LFS.

If you go for M.Praecox (know as dwarf neon rainbows) I would ONLY get them from a known breeder, the LFS stock is very fragile from over breeding and they do not tend to last that long, and the colors can be pretty drab compared to their pure genetic counterpart. M. Kamaka are great little bows as well reaching about 3" max. in length.

Great looking tank too!
Noahma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:56 AM   #45
shambhalove.
Planted Member

I got my co2 rig up and running!!

GLA's Supreme Regulator

I have it set at about 2bps for now and its getting my drop checker a dark green colour by lights off. I'm going to keep playing with it over the next while and get it all tuned in.

Here's what it look like right before lights off so it looks like i need to up it a bit but we'll see what a full day of 2bps does tomorrow

GLA's Inline diffuser

Besides playing with my new toy i also set up some moonlighting for my tank. My lights go off at 8pm and there is always people up far past that so i wanted a little extra view time. Plus it casts an awesome shimmer effect that looks like a full moon. I will attempt to get a pic of it but its proving impossible.

Current's TruLumen Lunar LED's tucked under my reflector, I went with the 12000k because I dont really like the blue moonlight look and i couldnt be happier! Looks very natural.