Anubias Algae
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 01-23-2013, 04:53 PM   #1
tylers
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Anubias Algae

Hi everyone,

I have a lot of algae on my anubias. What would you do if it were yours? Cut all the leaves and stems and hope for new growth? Some of these leaves are so big so not sure what to do. Tried scrubbing it off.

I have a lot of flow on the left side of the tank (where the anubias is), but the right side hardly any flow and there is no algae,

Tank is 790 litres. I have 3x 40 watt t8's and 100 watts of t5's.
Pressurised Co2 and I am ei dosing daily.

I was thinking about upgrading to some pendant lighting which works out at about 360 watts, is this a bad idea??

Thanks for any help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0108.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	72170  

Last edited by tylers; 01-23-2013 at 05:08 PM.. Reason: Meant 3 x 40 watt, rather than 4
tylers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2013, 05:02 PM   #2
CoffeeLove
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Wow you have tons of light and not enough co2 to keep up. Getting 360 watts would be a bad idea. more light doesn't fix algae.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
CoffeeLove is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:07 PM   #3
tylers
Algae Grower

Ah thank you, I will leave the new lighting system! Should I increase my Co2 to keep up? How do huge tanks manage with such powerful lighting?
Old 01-23-2013, 05:21 PM   #4
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

more co2 and ferts
Old 01-23-2013, 05:23 PM   #5
Aquatic Delight
H is for Hillstream

PTrader: (9/100%)

i don't run CO2 but my first recommendation would be to up your CO2.

i would also only trim off the yellowing leaves, and attempt to manually remove as much of the remaining alga as possible, and consider spot treating with Excel.

Hillstream/Boreno Loach Refuge

A Light Heart is Better than a Heavy Wallet.
Aquatic Delight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:28 PM   #6
BruceF
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)

Take the plant out of the tank and spray it with a mild solution of h202. Let it sit for a few minutes then scrub it. Rince it. Cut off the worst of the leaves. Fix the underlying problem.
BruceF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:28 PM   #7
tylers
Algae Grower

If I was to get more light would the algae get worse? I really want to develop this tank into a highly planted healthy tank

I will increase the Co2 now. Not sure I can up the ferts as I am following the EI dosing and not sure I should add more than the instructions
Old 01-23-2013, 05:45 PM   #8
CoffeeLove
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yes more light will make it worse if you don't balance it out with co2 and ferts.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
CoffeeLove is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:48 PM   #9
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylers View Post
If I was to get more light would the algae get worse? I really want to develop this tank into a highly planted healthy tank

I will increase the Co2 now. Not sure I can up the ferts as I am following the EI dosing and not sure I should add more than the instructions
What kind of T5 bulbs are you running? T5HO and T5NO would be quite different in this regard.

If you were to get more light, without fixing your current problem, it would just aggravate it. Fix the problem first, then you can upgrade your lighting if you want.

For your CO2, are you measuring with a drop checker (and 4 dkH reference solution)?

If you are dosing fertilizers via EI, there is nothing that needs to be changed.

As mentioned by BruceF, just take out your algae infested Anubias, and spray/squirt with a syringe some hydrogen peroxide over the affected leaves. You can remove the badly affected leaves. The BBA should begin to die off within a few days.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:52 PM   #10
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

The algae looks like BBA to me and it won't go away on its own whether the CO2 and light are right or not. You need to physically remove it by cutting off the leaves or kill it with glut or H2O2 and hope the grazers in the tank eat the dead algae.

First remove any yellowing or decaying leaves, they won't recover. Healthy stems will grow new leaves. I haven't ever but understand nicking them will jump start new shoots on bare stems.

I would try getting a hold of some glut, aka liquid CO2, or H2O2 and rearch carefully and decide for yourself how you want to dose the tank. I use double the daily dose, turn off the pumps and squirt on problem areas, let the tank cook for 15 minutes then turn the pumps back on. I like Bruce's idea too if you can remove the plant.

How deep is the tank? Your lighting may be just fine as is if a bit bulkier than newer technology. How long is the light period? Somewhere between 6-10 hours is usually plenty.

Seeing a lot of unhappy leaves. Providing enough nutrients is part of having a healthy plant, not just having algae free leaves. Be sure there is a little nitrate and a little phosphate present and always dose with at least potassium and micronutrients. Fish poop can provide enough nitrate and phosphate for lower light tanks but often needs supplementing in bright CO2 enriched tanks. See the sticky in the fertilizer subforum for one way to get them in.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:56 PM   #11
tylers
Algae Grower

Very helpful guys, thank you.

T5 bulbs are 'Arcadia Plant Pro 54W' x 2
T8 bulbs are 'Life-Glo2 6,700k

My co2 is measured with JBL solution and is currently around PH7.2 KH 12-16.

I also have three very large piranha that eat various white fish meat and beef heart every two days, I fear this may be having an adverse affect on the plants
Old 01-23-2013, 05:59 PM   #12
tylers
Algae Grower

Thanks Kathy. I will remove the plant and try the H202 on it, where can I get some? Tank is 26" deep. The other end of the tank seems healthier where there is less flow. Lights used to be on for around 12 hours but have not reduced it (past week) to about 10
Old 01-23-2013, 06:09 PM   #13
l8nite
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylers View Post
Thanks Kathy. I will remove the plant and try the H202 on it, where can I get some? Tank is 26" deep. The other end of the tank seems healthier where there is less flow. Lights used to be on for around 12 hours but have not reduced it (past week) to about 10
You can buy hydrogen peroxide at the grocery store or Walgreens. Near first aid supplies.
l8nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:38 PM   #14
tylers
Algae Grower

I will pick up some H202 and remove the algae. I have just increased the Co2 so hopefully I should start seeing an improvement soon
Old 01-23-2013, 09:41 PM   #15
tylers
Algae Grower

Also, one more thing. Do I have enough lights to see some serious plant growth and have a healthy heavily planted tank or will I need to upgrade if I want to do that?