Yeast CO2 vs Paintball CO2? Cost and efficiency
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 05-19-2013, 08:08 PM   #1
sacme
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

So I have a Hitech 20g long with HC, I'm doing a DCM, as of now I'm going with the DIY CO2 yeast recipe. If I wanted to switch over to a paintball can DIY CO2 how much would I be looking at as in price? Also is there a noticeable difference between the two?

Basically what I want to know is, would it be worth doing the paintball CO2?

Also I know this question has probably been asked and over asked so I apologize for that.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 05-19-2013 at 10:54 PM.. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
sacme is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2013, 08:13 PM   #2
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (174/100%)

it isnt so much either but rather control and the ability to turn on and off.

DYI co2 runs for the duration the mixture is active while pressurized co2 is turned on and off either by timer or manually. the ability to dial back or forth on intensity and bps is also something that cannot be otherwise controled on DYI.

Maintenance (Time and effort) to make the DYI mixture versus taking the canister to be filled is likely another factor. Ask away
Old 05-19-2013, 09:20 PM   #3
sacme
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acitydweller View Post
it isnt so much either but rather control and the ability to turn on and off.

DYI co2 runs for the duration the mixture is active while pressurized co2 is turned on and off either by timer or manually. the ability to dial back or forth on intensity and bps is also something that cannot be otherwise controled on DYI.

Maintenance (Time and effort) to make the DYI mixture versus taking the canister to be filled is likely another factor. Ask away
Thanks! Would you happen to know the cost of setting up the canister CO2? And also how often I would need to get it refilled?
Old 05-19-2013, 10:07 PM   #4
bitFUUL
Aquaponics FTW!

PTrader: (18/100%)

DIY co2 is always fun to play with, it helps you understand how co2 plays into photosynthesis. However, you'll quickly grow tired of remixing yeast every other week, plus it's not very easy to control.

Try it for a bit, then you'll soon upgrade. When you do, don't go cheap on co2 gear, especially your regulator. You get what you pay for!

[50g][30g][18g][12g][11.4g][7.5g][7.13g][5.5g][4.1g][3g] - [grow][pond]
bitFUUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:05 PM   #5
sacme
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitFUUL View Post
DIY co2 is always fun to play with, it helps you understand how co2 plays into photosynthesis. However, you'll quickly grow tired of remixing yeast every other week, plus it's not very easy to control.

Try it for a bit, then you'll soon upgrade. When you do, don't go cheap on co2 gear, especially your regulator. You get what you pay for!

Alright Thanks man, I'll have to try it out
Old 05-20-2013, 01:55 PM   #6
WheeledGoat
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitFUUL View Post

+1
personally, i'd skip the paintball co2 and get a 5# (or even 10#!) tank. you're going to pay a premium for adapters, etc. for a paintball setup since it's such a specialized niche market. the rabbit hole isn't any deeper, and is actually a little simpler, if you just stick with standard tanks and regulators.
WheeledGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:52 PM   #7
herns
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (231/100%)

+1. For 20g, I would get #5, #10 or best #20. A paintball for that size of tank wouldn't last very long if you are more bps rate.
herns is online now   Reply With Quote